2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (ambrozy, Anglagard44, Carey, c++, AlphaBravoCharlie, anotherscott, BlakeOR, Alan B, 12 invisible), 590 guests, and 550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3072880 01/23/21 04:03 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Schubert's Ave Maria is based on Walter Scott's poem Lady of the Lake. The opening words and the chorus ("Ave Maria") meant that the song was also used in religious contexts, such as weddings and funerals. Often Latin text instead of the original romantic German text is placed on the melody.

Such a beautiful piece.

Playing the piano for 1 year right now! Starting to learn notes and scales. This piece is learned via HDpiano (synthesia). Please, if you have any technical advice. Feel free to help me out!

Last edited by ContentPiano; 01/23/21 04:06 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Guess I'm the first to comment.

The first thing I picked out is a group of 6 notes you missed in measure 2 as indicated:

[Linked Image]

You got the right notes but the counting is a bit uneven. The RH melody is supposed to be 4 beats per measure and the LH is supposed to be 6. It's OK to slow down at the end of phrases. There are places you slowed down or speeded up in the middle of a phrase.

I noticed that there were several places you added extra notes like embellishments. I don't have them in my score and assumed either you added them intentionally or they're in your score. Made the piece sound original.

I posted my version a while ago:

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416

The first thing I picked out is a group of 6 notes you missed in measure 2 as indicated:

[Linked Image]

You got the right notes but the counting is a bit uneven. The RH melody is supposed to be 4 beats per measure and the LH is supposed to be 6. It's OK to slow down at the end of phrases. There are places you slowed down or speeded up in the middle of a phrase.

I noticed that there were several places you added extra notes like embellishments. I don't have them in my score and assumed either you added them intentionally or they're in your score. Made the piece sound original.

I posted my version a while ago:
There are many different transcriptions of this piece for solo piano. None of them are original because the original is a song with piano accompaniment. The version you played is different from the one the OP plays. The version you played has 4 beats per measure with each beat in the LH being a sextuplet.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

You got the right notes but the counting is a bit uneven. The RH melody is supposed to be 4 beats per measure and the LH is supposed to be 6.

Both hands have 4 beats per measure. The fact that there are sextuplets for each beat does not change the time signature. In a piece like this, it is perfectly fine and even recommended to add articulation by slowing down very slightly when needed, as long as it is done tastefully to add expressiveness.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
All these years I thought it was Oy Vei Maria.

Education is a wonderful thing.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
K
K
Wow. To my newbie ears, that was beautiful. I've been taking lessons for about a year also and I couldn't play that. I certainly couldn't memorize it as you have - but then I am considerably older than you and my brain cells are starting to deteriorate (that's my excuse anyway). smile

Could you share your routine....how much you practice? Do you just do the online course? Do you work on one song at a time? Is there theory included in your syllabus? So curious to hear what the routines of others are. Not to compare - but to learn and try new ideas.

Originally Posted by PhilipInChina

Bwa ha ha! laugh That is great. Ty for the laugh.

Great job OP! I'm only two weeks into my journey so I have zero technical advice to give. Thanks for posting this video as at this point in my journey I find everyone's "one-year" videos very motivating and inspiring. I'm also going to add this piece to my wish-list of songs I want to learn to play.

Roland RD-2000
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KrisR
Wow. To my newbie ears, that was beautiful. I've been taking lessons for about a year also and I couldn't play that. I certainly couldn't memorize it as you have - but then I am considerably older than you and my brain cells are starting to deteriorate (that's my excuse anyway). smile

Could you share your routine....how much you practice? Do you just do the online course? Do you work on one song at a time? Is there theory included in your syllabus? So curious to hear what the routines of others are. Not to compare - but to learn and try new ideas.

Hi Kris
I think you missed the explanation in the OP:the music was not learned by reading the score but by Synthesia, scrolling notes on a video so that the finger movements can be memorized. He is just beginning note-reading. Hang in there — you will get where you want to be 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
C
OP Offline
C

[Linked Image]

I see you are using a different arrangement than myself. I have added the sheet music in the link below. My arrangement was composed by Paul Seelig.

Ave Maria - Schubert | Scheet Music

Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate it!

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by KrisR

I started through the platform HDpiano and by watching and replaying videos on YouTube (synthesia). I challenged myself by choosing quite difficult pieces, which I do not recommend. What I do recommend is to play pieces that you really like.

My pieces:
1st: Yann Tiersen - Comptine d'un autre été
2: Johann Pachelbel - Canon in D
3: Yann Tiersen - La Valse d'amélie
4: Ludovico Einaudi - Nuvole Bianche
5: Schubert - Ave Maria
6: Yann Tiersen - Comptine d'un autre été [extended version]

So in doing so, I started with synthesia up to and including Schubert from Ave Maria. Partly via sheets, partly via synthesia. Via HDpiano, the pieces are divided into, say, 5 parts. You learn the left and right hand separately. Then combine them. Start slowly and only increase the tempo when you can play it a few times without any mistakes. On average each piece took me about 2-3 month's to learn. I did practice 1 hour a day (4-5 days a week), repetition is very important!!. Currently, I have returned to the basics. Learning notes and scales. If you would like to see more, I have done many uploads on my YouTube channel. Best of luck with your piano journey.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Schwa
Originally Posted by PhilipInChina

Bwa ha ha! laugh That is great. Ty for the laugh.

Great job OP! I'm only two weeks into my journey so I have zero technical advice to give. Thanks for posting this video as at this point in my journey I find everyone's "one-year" videos very motivating and inspiring. I'm also going to add this piece to my wish-list of songs I want to learn to play.

That's great to hear. I wish you the best with your piano journey.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,658
Members100,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission