2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (Bob A, anotherscott, Chalie, agent8698, ando, ambrozy, CharlesXX, brdwyguy, 14 invisible), 419 guests, and 552 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3072746 01/22/21 02:50 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi folks,

I've been trying a few models in a little local store where the selection was very limited. Played the LX705 and really captivated me despite the different opinions about thin sound etc. It sounded to me exceptionally good, and the speaker system provided a big nice presence. Also liked the upright design and sound customization. Only thing was bass fell short at all levels, I tried it once and again after playing other models but I was still missing some more bass..

Also was very excited to see a GP310 with that Bechstein plate, played it and to my surprise I was completely disappointed, the sound, the playing experience were just awful, unlike the great videos Casio posts on YouTube, I listened to them all and they sound really beautiful, and makes you think what a nice action must it have.. I'm pretty sure it is in fact a good action, it's after all made in collaboration with Bechstein, but I just couldn't fall in love with the instrument, and yes, tried all piano sounds..

I've played a CA97 for the last 6 years and cannot regret it, action and sound wise, it's a superb instrument although I suffered a lot the faulty design since I ended up replacing all tape slips by real felt because the keys started to feel stiff and unplayable one after the other.. A lot of research and trials at my own risk until I properly solved the problem.

Now, I'm up to sell it since I've got an interested buyer, so I thought it may be the time to get up to-date with the new technology.

I'm now torn between the CA99 (I think it's the perfect package all in all) and the LX706 that comes with the extra long PHA50 and the new modeling engine (that I truly liked). I'm not including the LX708 because it's one single piece and I'm to move (country) in few months, and I don't want the hassle of getting such a big bulk into elevators etc

I'm not including the CA79 because I just don't like its shape at all (similar to my CA97).

I know it's contradictory and it's not a fair comparison etc. but those are my potential options, the one I really love though it's the less convenient in terms of mobility, and the other that I'd be happy with and that I'd be yet happier once I'm up to moving..

Last and not least, I'm a pianoteq fan and I'd love to play it through the on-board speakers. I've had some experience already but not completely satisfactory though my CA97 speakers, although I could improve it a lot by tweaking here and there. It's not the main criteria though to chose one of both mentioned pianos here.

I wonder what you guys think it'd be a wiser move, also considering price difference.

Regards,
David

Kawai CA97
Pianoteq 7 Pro (all instruments), Galaxy II, Vintage D, The Giant, Alcia Keys, The Grandeur, The Maverick, The Gentleman, Piano V2 etc
http://youtube.com/DavidIzquierdoAzzouz
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
The CA99 is also one piece and would be hard to move.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
EPW #3072798 01/22/21 06:13 PM
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by EPW
The CA99 is also one piece and would be hard to move.

Unless...

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I would recommend that you buy your preferred piano at your final destination if at all possible.

A few folks here have had the same dilemma as you regarding moving a new piano to a new country and this seems to be the best resolution.

navindra #3072886 01/23/21 05:04 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by navindra
I would recommend that you buy your preferred piano at your final destination if at all possible.

A few folks here have had the same dilemma as you regarding moving a new piano to a new country and this seems to be the best resolution.

Yeah that makes pretty much sense. The downside of it is the time I'd be left without anything (like 6 months).

The other option would be to just stick to what I currently have (CA97) and try to sell it again once moving date get closer..

Or buy the LX706 since it's splittable and just move it along once the time's come?

I've been picturing me moving a CA99 throughout my building, all the doors, lift etc and didn't feel confortable with the idea at all..

OTOH as some fella asked here, what's the wow factor on the CA97 against my CA97, well maybe some more technology and the nicer upright shape (a proper one that I really like)..

Kawai CA97
Pianoteq 7 Pro (all instruments), Galaxy II, Vintage D, The Giant, Alcia Keys, The Grandeur, The Maverick, The Gentleman, Piano V2 etc
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You can get a slab piano to tide you over, then make a proper decision when things are stable. There are endless options for slab pianos.

CA97 to CA99 may be a fair jump actually, and you should also evaluate NV5/NU1X or NV10/N1X.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I think Navindra advise is good. Either keep your CA97 as long as you can until soon before you move or get a slab.

I know you enjoy using your VSTs so in your situation I think the VPC1 would be a good temporary stop gap as a slab keyboard.

I've always liked your playing and recordings David, so I'd be interested in your impressions of the action of the LX705 versus the LX706/708. I was disappointed with the sounds of these keyboards but I quite liked the action of the 706/708. How did you find they compared to the action in your CA97.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Izquierdo
I've been picturing me moving a CA99 throughout my building, all the doors, lift etc and didn't feel confortable with the idea at all..
I don't understand. The CA97 and CA99 dimensions are almost identical in width and depth. So wherever your CA97 fits, the CA99 should fit too. The ~9cm more in height that the latter has shouldn't make a difference unless you need to transport it standing up on a side.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
R
R
Not sure what country/area you're in, but you might be able to rent a digital or acoustic for a couple of months. I've seen prices as low to 10 EUR a month to rent a piano here in The Netherlands.

Or indeed buy an older 2nd hand slab for the time being. It'll make you appeciate your new piano even more by the time you'll get it.

KevinM #3073683 01/25/21 06:54 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by KevinM
I think Navindra advise is good. Either keep your CA97 as long as you can until soon before you move or get a slab.

I know you enjoy using your VSTs so in your situation I think the VPC1 would be a good temporary stop gap as a slab keyboard.

I've always liked your playing and recordings David, so I'd be interested in your impressions of the action of the LX705 versus the LX706/708. I was disappointed with the sounds of these keyboards but I quite liked the action of the 706/708. How did you find they compared to the action in your CA97.

It always feels good to know someone around here enjoys my recordings, thank you smile

I've been giving the whole thing a second thought after I read your comments, and seems like I'm keeping my CA97 for a while more until I definetely move.

I've got a very serious buyer who is still insiting and to be honest I really feel sad about getting rid of my CA97 since on the one hand I'd love to have the CA99 or the LX708, they both look great as a central piece of furniture in my living room, in addition to the cool control and connectivity features they offer through apps etc. but in the other hand I really cannot find the solid pianistic arguments to sell my CA97, as it performs perfectly in terms of action and sound, especially after I replaced all 88 keys with real felt.. so I don't get to fully convince myself about the selling decision, and yet less after I read your opinioins.

Changing topic, I've only played the LX705 as for Roland LX series since they didn't have any larger ones in the little store we have in my little city (Pamplona, Spain). I wasn't expecting much after all the reviews and fellas complaining about somewhat "thin" sound etc. but I was greatly surprised when I played the PHA50 (never tried it before) and heard the different patches available, loved it really. The keytouch is completely different from the GF2 but not in a bad way, it's just not after the action that a japanese manufacturer (Kawai) would use for their pianos, unlike the GF2 which is supposed to mimic the keytouch of an acoustic of their own (presumably the SK-EX).

However, it did feel like a grand action, call it Steinway if you want, I wouldn't be able to say which, but definetely not like a toy or something unplayable, I could get full expression and joy out of the PHA50, so I'm suposing I'd also get it from an improved and longer HYBRID PHA50 (only on LX706 and LX708), although sound generator is the same for all three models, not sure why they decided to do it like that.

One big downside of the LX705 was the bass response, I'm assuming that it's because of the speaker configuration, this model has only got 4 speakers and no soundboard, which made it a worse sounding system than my current CA97, that's why I'm only assuming that a bigger model or mayber the LX708 would equal the CA99 (or even CA97) in terms of sound.

Said that, I like the presence it gave and the modelled piano sound, no issues at all and they did it in such a way that they really achieved a big presence (ambience?), clarity was specially good, that's all I can say.

I've recently been seeing NV5 and NV10 reviews, and the latter might be among the options I consider if I one day happen to replace my CA97, will see what new models all brands come up by then, if any.

Thanks for your opinions guys!

Regards,
David

Last edited by David Izquierdo; 01/25/21 07:00 AM.

Kawai CA97

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where to find good interpretations?
by pablobear - 03/03/21 08:01 PM
Pretty, but a little overpriced??
by ShiroKuro - 03/03/21 07:05 PM
My simplyfied setup.
by lvercaut - 03/03/21 04:13 PM
Uprights with a proper music desk
by Tone Deaf - 03/03/21 03:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,375
Posts3,066,447
Members100,701
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission