2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (Bob A, anotherscott, Chalie, agent8698, ando, ambrozy, CharlesXX, brdwyguy, 14 invisible), 420 guests, and 559 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
I'm posting in the digital forum because a lot of folks here are tech-savvy, but it might be the wrong forum.
So I have a weakness in hearing time in some circumstances. I found a visual aid in one context that really helped me: When I record myself playing with a metronome going, then Goldwave shows a sharp spike for the metronome click, and softer waves for the start of a note. By seeing and listening, I could see whether my playing was before, after, or with the click, and after a while my hearing for this became sharper. I guess it was a bit like biofeedback, or using more senses.

I'd like to be able to do something similar comparing two hands - two against 3 - to be able to see. The music I'm playing is faster and that's when I don't hear it, especially. I've tried slowing it down to half speed or less, but I'm still not catching it. If I could somehow see the two voices - like maybe red waves and blue waves. It may be a stupid idea and I may come off looking silly but I thought I'd give it a shot?

I have a digital piano (Kawai CA97), cable connection, and I've been using Goldwave.

D
Online Content
D
It's not really clear to me what you'd like to see and where. Perhaps a sight reading app on a tablet?

D
D
Originally Posted by keystring
I'd like to be able to do something similar comparing two hands - two against 3 - to be able to see. The music I'm playing is faster and that's when I don't hear it, especially. I've tried slowing it down to half speed or less, but I'm still not catching it. If I could somehow see the two voices - like maybe red waves and blue waves. It may be a stupid idea and I may come off looking silly but I thought I'd give it a shot?

I have a digital piano (Kawai CA97), cable connection, and I've been using Goldwave.

I've got an idea for 3 per 2, 4 per 3, etc. : use the split function (hoping CA97 has it) : two different sounds on the keyboard, and arrange your playing (changing octaves) so the upper voice is always with the upper sound and the lower voice with lower sound. It could also work with the same sound, but still in split.

Last, if CA97 allows it, pan the upper sound all to the right and the lower all to the left (or the contrary, doesn't matter). I don't know Goldwave but wave editor softwares allow to play only one channel, or mix differently each channel, and may be use different colours ?

OP Offline
Originally Posted by doudou
Originally Posted by keystring

I've got an idea for 3 per 2, 4 per 3, etc. : use the split function (hoping CA97 has it) : two different sounds on the keyboard, and arrange your playing (changing octaves) so the upper voice is always with the upper sound and the lower voice with lower sound. It could also work with the same sound, but still in split.

Last, if CA97 allows it, pan the upper sound all to the right and the lower all to the left (or the contrary, doesn't matter). I don't know Goldwave but wave editor softwares allow to play only one channel, or mix differently each channel, and may be use different colours ?
Yes, I'm seeing that it would have to be in different octaves. The passage as written even has the same note played at different times by each hand. Goldwave has stereo and mono - that seems to go with "left side" and "right side" and it shows exactly the same pattern in both colours so it just splits the same overall sound. This may not work.

The time that I was using it with the metronome to refine my hearing, I did a screenshot that I marked up to show somebody. I could see whether I was coming on, before, or after the metronome spikes which at the time I could not hear. This was in 2019.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2fl10lm65e3vrj/screenshot.jpg?dl=0

In this recording, I'm told the LH is not even, and if i can't hear it I can't easily correct it. I know how to approach it with counting - the different devices - though as you speed up, I find it harder to do. At a lower tempo I'm fine. When the other thing occurred, I found that seeing what I wasn't hearing really sped up my ability to hear.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xuhxmtwmvzk6tw/21.07.19c%20Ar%203%20ag%202%20soft%20LH.mp3?dl=0

OP Offline
I'd like to thank the two people who tried to help. At the end of the day it seems the idea was a dud, but I gained some knowledge for the future (thank you doudou). The final weird thing I did technology-wise was to play the passage super-slow, an octave down, and then speed up the recording on Goldwave to hear how it sounds on that artificial path of "exactly in the middle between 2 & 3 of the triplets". At a fast speed, the 3rd triplet note actually sounds like "b'ding" to my ear ---- da da b'da / da da b'da --- and that seemed to do the trick. For what I was trying to do originally, maybe there's a software other than Goldwave, but for now I got where I needed to go.

D
D
another idea : you record your playing in midi (instead of audio) and import the midi file in a score editing software (Finale, Sibelius, etc.). You can also record directly in the score software, but don't forget to activate the metronome.

After, you'll be able to read if the rhythms played are correct or no (if not correct you'll see weird notations : 1/8 rests and quintuplets, sextuplets etc.)

But, better is to learn to play your 3 per 2, without recording but while counting / decomposing beats in 3, first slowly. Eighth note triplets versus eight notes = quaver triplets versus quavers wink Then progressively increase tempo

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Where to find good interpretations?
by pablobear - 03/03/21 08:01 PM
Pretty, but a little overpriced??
by ShiroKuro - 03/03/21 07:05 PM
My simplyfied setup.
by lvercaut - 03/03/21 04:13 PM
Uprights with a proper music desk
by Tone Deaf - 03/03/21 03:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,375
Posts3,066,447
Members100,701
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission