2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (accordeur, antune, Beansparrow, CaseyVancouver, c++, 15 invisible), 501 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAJANE Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm thinking that the P-515 or its successor will be the 88-key piano that will look like the second keyboard in my setup, today a Yamaha MOX-8 reigns alone on the set.

I would like to know the opinion of the forum colleagues about the possible natural evolution of this model, of course, only taking into account the previous launches of the brand in the P series, it is not possible to predict the future, but to give an opinion and try to speculate about the possibilities can become an interesting subject.

I thank you for the opinion of colleagues.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

Last edited by RAJANE; 01/21/21 08:35 AM.

Yamaha MOX8
P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
“What is missing from the P-515”? Nothing!

...if you’re realistic about what to expect for a meager $1,500.

Some people expect a ‘concert-grand’ experience from a 1.5K slab, so I suppose for them “everything is missing”. For normal people, however, it is simply the perfect slab for the buck!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Missing? Just one thing. Cup holders ...

[Linked Image]

M
M
I own the P-515.
I would like them to completely redo the damper resonance. It is atrocious and I have to completely disable it every time I start the piano.
Also, I don't like the current Bösendorfer sample. It doesn't sound good at all. There is way to improve it, but it only get you so far.

Yamaha P-515
_
_
Compare the P515 vs the CLP645 vs the CLP745 and you should get the idea.

F
F
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Missing? Just one thing. Cup holders ...

[Linked Image]
I am waiting for a P515C, I hope it comes out soon. It would absolutely destroy everything else on the market.

don't know what to say
B
B
A rack under it to place a Mac mini for VST’s 😁 But first I say the cup holders...

P
P
Nice things to add or change:
- registrations,
- volume sliders for parts R1, R2, L,
- replace that glossy plastic cheeks with something more scratch-proof, maybe wood imitation,
- include FC3a half damper pedal in the package instead of FC4a switch
- improve speaker boxes to not make whirring sound (resonance) on bassy sounds like Bosendorfer in low octaves at volumes over 50%

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP; Korg SV-2 73; Hammond XK-1c
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mareg
I own the P-515.
I would like them to completely redo the damper resonance. It is atrocious and I have to completely disable it every time I start the piano.

Are you talking about damper lift noise?

Daily driver: Kawai MP11SE
First crush: Kawai GL10
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
M
M
I'm talking about how crazy bad the sound is when you sustain with the damper resonance effect at default value 5/10. It creates the most god aweful unreal sound.

Yamaha P-515
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by RAJANE
I'm thinking that the P-515 or its successor will be the 88-key piano that will look like the second keyboard in my setup, today a Yamaha MOX-8 reigns alone on the set.

I would like to know the opinion of the forum colleagues about the possible natural evolution of this model, of course, only taking into account the previous launches of the brand in the P series, it is not possible to predict the future, but to give an opinion and try to speculate about the possibilities can become an interesting subject.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

This is not how Yamaha works. The next major improvement to P-515 will be 10 years from P-515 release date.

The next version is the same with minor improvements. This is how Japanese companies work.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm talking about how crazy bad the sound is when you sustain with the damper resonance effect at default value 5/10. It creates the most god aweful unreal sound.

Hmm, sounds odd. I didn't notice it on P125s I've tried. Is that a new thing with the 515? I have damper lift noise on my Kawai digital, but that is the only sound involving a damper as far as I can tell. I ask because I'm considering a P515 and would be concerned if they add noise to the action that doesn't exist in an acoustic.

Any idea what the damper resonance effect is trying to mimic?

Daily driver: Kawai MP11SE
First crush: Kawai GL10
Current fling: Petrof III
Foster child: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
RAJANE Offline OP
OP Offline
I am not belittling the P-515.

Not even stating that this keyboard is not a great cost benefit.

I think this model is all good, it offers those who buy it a lot of resources at a very interesting cost.

Just thinking that the release date of your new version this next year I speculated on what could come from news in the next model.

To be a good news, the P-515, which is already good, must improve in something to be able to overcome itself, so I asked what is missing, it is not a criticism, it is just curiosity about how the good can become great.

What does the C after the number mean? What would a P515C be?

What evil. 10 years expecting something sub-substantial. It is better to believe that at least the new model will come with Fc3.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

Yamaha MOX8
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

That's hard to say. Depends a lot on the competition. I will test the FP90X and ES920 along side the P515, but it will be models released by Roland and Kawai among others that will shape Yamahas next portable.

It may not be updated any time soon either.

One thing about Yamahas sampling: it lacks the detail in tone that the Kawai sampling has. This is somewhat offset by having a greater sound clarity via the Binaural sampling.

There are a number of different ways they could address the problem, but it seems clear to me that the race for sampling supremacy will be hard fought. Nord have show how capable they are. If Nord can overcome the idiosyncratic dynamic control issue, they would have a good chance to release a killer portable piano. If that happens, all the major competitors will need to respond.

Clearly the big question about the P515 is the heavy action: none of their competitors have that issue. Indeed, Roland have progressively lightened their folded actions. Seems to me that the smart approach is to fix that action to better compete with their competitors.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01/21/21 02:28 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
P
P
I own the P-515.
Also, I don't like the current Bösendorfer sample. It doesn't sound good at all. There is way to improve it, but it only get you so far.

You can make the instrument to remember your setting (I believe also damper resonance amount), you just have to set this in menu (in Backup Menu, set Voice to On as well as Other to On). Allows the most settings to be set in exact same state as you turned instrument off.

I am not belittling the P-515.

Not even stating that this keyboard is not a great cost benefit.

I think this model is all good, it offers those who buy it a lot of resources at a very interesting cost.

Just thinking that the release date of your new version this next year I speculated on what could come from news in the next model.

To be a good news, the P-515, which is already good, must improve in something to be able to overcome itself, so I asked what is missing, it is not a criticism, it is just curiosity about how the good can become great.

What does the C after the number mean? What would a P515C be?

What evil. 10 years expecting something sub-substantial. It is better to believe that at least the new model will come with Fc3.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

If you have another instrument, you can buy FC3A strictly for P-515 and use FC4A for another synth or less piano-like-experience demanding keyboard. As I did.

I believe the C in P-515C refers to Cup holder smile

If you don't expect any major upgrades in the P-series in next 10 years, maybe it is the time to buy one and enjoy?

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP; Korg SV-2 73; Hammond XK-1c
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I own the P-515.

I like the resonances very much and have them all cranked up to max. I suspect however, these resonces are the same whatever piano you select.
The Bosendorfer is a great contrast to the CFX (inferior to the CFIII imo) but you get plenty for your money.
But I only use Pianoteq on it now anyway.
Hard to think of anything better, but most here seem to like it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I’ve come to a conclusion that all digital pianos , and vsts have their short comings .
However just focus on learning and loving to play piano. One day when u can get an acoustic piano and you’ll have no compromises.

That is what I plan to do. I have the p515 and a very old p155 which I don’t use much.

Digital pianos are just a supplement for people that don’t have the space or means to have real piano or need additional piano for volume control

Last edited by Jitin; 01/21/21 03:18 PM.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Jiltin, you obviously don’t use a digital keyboard for what it is best at... Producing multitrack music.
That’s fine. But it is an erroneous conclusion to think they are merely piano surrogates.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
RAJANE Offline OP
OP Offline
I haven't touched the P-515 yet, but if its keys are heavy as they say, I'll love it.

What I had to study in old acoustics with heavy keys for not having my own piano, I can't even access it.

At home, you couldn't even train on the MOX8 because of the difference.

Nowadays I miss the weight of the old keys, maybe something like that, I got used to the weight of badly treated acoustic pianos.

Actually, I already have an FC3a, I will do exactly with the FC4a that comes with the P-515.

I need to wait for the P-515 to arrive at the stores, the forecast given to me here in my city is for after March 31 in the best option.

In Covid's time a lot of stores closed, and you have to wait for Yamaha to deliver to the shopkeepers.

For now, I can only speculate whether to launch a new model before I have the chance to buy what arrives here.

Hugs to all.

Rajane.

Yamaha MOX8
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I just now noticed this thread and skimmed the 2nd page of posts. I bought a Yamaha P515 last February. I played it exactly once at an assisted living facility (ALF) gig. Then the pandemic came thundering down on us.

For gigging in a smallish room, the onboard speakers could suffice. Or if needed I will (in the future hopefully) add a 10" or 12" powered Yamaha PA speaker (I'd have to check on the model).

The beauty in the P515 in my opinion is the brilliant engineering to create the plastic speaker cabinets - onboard. I noticed a bit of that bassy piano growl. Not a perfect piano - but damn better than I've heard previously.

I also bought a P121 for more compactness and especially much lower weight. It has a decent bass piano sound- no not perfection, but again, better than I've heard previously. I'm talking about onboard speakers on a portable piano.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ringing overtones on certain notes
by Will M - 04/17/21 07:25 PM
Young Chang U-121 Age and Price
by sansandreas - 04/17/21 06:59 PM
A detailed review for Pianoteq 7 Pro
by TheodorN - 04/17/21 06:50 PM
Question about Grand Piano dynamics range?
by Jojovan - 04/17/21 06:45 PM
Innie/Outtie Blues 2
by Dfrankjazz - 04/17/21 05:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,361
Posts3,083,606
Members101,223
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission