2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (agent8698, 36251, aphexdisklavier, Alfred La Fleur, anotherscott, BerndAB, 23 invisible), 491 guests, and 561 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3071864 01/20/21 12:35 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hey!

My name is Jenn, and i'm new to the piano world.
I've been looking for a keyboard, but making a choice is difficult.
So I've come to ask for help!

The keyboard I have in mind at the moment, is the "M-Audio Keystation 88 MK3".
A lot of people have told me it's a good keyboard.
The reason why I want the 88 keys, is because I want to be able to play on an actual piano as well, if I have the chance.
Now, my intentions are just to be able to play on the computer, but I would also like some sound coming out of the piano.
Now this is obviously optional, and I think i'm fine leaving that out to buy that keyboard.
Is this a good keyboard for beginners? I know 88 keys is probably not good to start with, but I thought I might as well.
Another question I had, was if I needed a foot-pedal. My uncle has a yamaha keyboard, and he has one.
Apparently it's to let the key presses make longer sounds. Is this necessary for a midi-only keyboard?

I'm just looking for a good keyboard. The one I have in mind, the keystation 88 MK3, is so far decently priced at 200 euros,
so i'm thinking about that one. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance! <3

Kind regards,

Jenn.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you are at all serious about playing piano ... then no. Get a real piano. But be prepared to spend more. (Or look for a not-too-old used piano to cut the cost.)

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Mac is right, if you want to learn to play piano and not keyboard (there is a difference) and you say play a real piano you need a weighted hammer action digital or controller; and with a sustain pedal.

What's your budget?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Jenn, and welcome to this forum, and to playing the piano! cool

Mac and Spanishbuddha are right, but you may not understand why. With weighted hammer action you have much more control of the sound, especially the dynamics - how soft or loud you play. And dynamics are extremely important for playing well. Now the keyboard you have in mind has velocity sensitivity, and that is better than keys that can only play at the same volume, but if you want to learn to play well, you'll need weighted keys.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
PS. I think that this digital piano would be one of the cheapest that you can find. I don't have any information though about if it is a good dp, or not.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
M
M
If you can't stretch your budget much, I would recommend taking a look at some lower end CASIO digital pianos. (CDP series)
I bought by CASIO CDP-240 (an old model) brand new for about 350 EUR. I use the same model for 5 years now. It is not the best DP, of course, I firmly believe that it is a good band for the buck.
You may try to find a used model (CDP-120, CDP-230/240) or take a look at some newer models.

CASIO CDP-240R
J
OP Offline
J
Hey guys. My knowledge of piano's is abysmal, to say the least. I know nothing about it, other than what people tell me. I found the keyboard I have talked about in my main post, and that one seemed okay to start out. Of course, in the near future, I'd probably decide to start playing for real, and then buy a more decent piano, but right now it's just for starting off.
The reason why I started liking piano so much, is because I play virtual piano. With my PC-keyboard. But there's a barrier there that really annoys me. As for the black keys, I have to hold the shift key, so playing chords is extremely difficult.

I don't think I want to go MUCH above 200, as i'm only starting out.
I know to get a better piano sound, you'd need a weighted hammer action. Or at least I knew a bit about that. But I do want to play on a pc, my room isn't that large, so a full on piano, wouldn't work. But evidently, should I get the pedal to have it work, or is that no use?
Any information about keyboards would be much appreciated. <3

P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
I have a feeling that “Jenn” is an undercover agent!

Who do you work for, prodigy, is it Kawai?

Well, you can go back to your boss and tell him you got nothing out of us, or else! wink

Pete14 #3071931 01/20/21 02:40 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Pete14
I have a feeling that “Jenn” is an undercover agent!

Who do you work for, prodigy, is it Kawai?

Well, you can go back to your boss and tell him you got nothing out of us, or else! wink

Shoot! My cover is blown. :P

P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
I knew it!

It was the “any information about keyboards would be much appreciated” that gave you away.

Good try, Kawai, but you’re not getting by agent Pete0014 that easily!

I am here solely to protect and serve the community; you’re welcome! grin

Online Content
My suggestion is that you check out Jeremy See's reviews of various budget keyboards and see if any will fit your needs.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Pete14 #3071936 01/20/21 02:46 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Pete14
I knew it!

It was the “any information about keyboards would be much appreciated” that gave you away.

Good try, Kawai, but you’re not getting by agent Pete0014 that easily!

I am here solely to protect and serve the community; you’re welcome! grin

Hahaha. Don't know who Kawai is. Unfortunately.
But on a real note, I would like some help.
Because I am really wanting to play piano, and really tempted to buy the M-audio Keystation 88 MK3, with pedal, but i'm waiting for some more helpful responses, so I won't make a mistake buying this one. >.<

M
M
Hello Jenn.

You do not need 88 keys in order to learn to play the piano/keyboard. I'd say you could go with 61 or 73 for one or two years without a problem. Also you do not need a pedal straight away and usually you can add one later.

Unless I'm mistaken, the master keyboard you are considering does not have speakers so you'll need to hook it up to your computer and use a software in order to make any sound (that is why it is called a station).

In order to learn I'g go with something more similar to a piano even if you have to sacrifice some of its capabilities. So, you want to have (in my order of preference):

- Touch sensitivity (the stronger you play the louder it sounds)
- Weighted keys (they respond much like those on a real piano)
- 88 keys if possible, otherwise 73 or even 61

Some instruments in or near your budget would be:

Casio CTS300 https://www.thomann.de/es/casio_ct_s300.htm?ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6IjIiLCJsYW5ndWFnZSI6ImVzIn0%3D

Yamaha NP-12 https://www.amazon.es/Yamaha-NP-12B-Teclado-electr%C3%B3nico-polifon%C3%ADa/dp/B01B1L4PDY

Yamaha PSR-373 https://www.thomann.de/es/yamaha_psr_e373.htm

Yamaha NP-32 https://www.thomann.de/es/yamaha_np_32_piaggero_black.htm

Casio CDP-S100 https://www.thomann.de/es/casio_cdp_s100.htm

You should explore these before going for a workstation. all of them sacrifice some thing or anothe rfrom the list but will help you learn.

I'd also strongly suggest tryng to get a 2nd hand Yamaha P-45 which is a great entry level instrument https://www.thomann.de/es/yamaha_p_45_b.htm

Good luck with your search!

P
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
P
Hmm, the usual “I don’t know who you’re talking about” technique.

But you see, Jenn can talk Thai; oh yeah, Jenn talk Thai very well! (This is CIA code for ‘Jenn knows Kawai very well’).

Okay, I’ll stop now; hang in there buddy!

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi Jen. Welcome aboard. The 88MK3 doesn't have any sounds and no speakers on it. You said you would like to hear sounds on the piano. Plus the unit is only semi-weighted keys. Which are not bad per-say but not ideal if you want to really learn to play the piano. You want a weighted keyboard.

What is your budget for buying a piano?

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hello, Jenny, welcome to the forum.

Originally Posted by JennyBunnyBean
Hey!
The keyboard I have in mind at the moment, is the "M-Audio Keystation 88 MK3".
A lot of people have told me it's a good keyboard.
The reason why I want the 88 keys, is because I want to be able to play on an actual piano as well, if I have the chance.

First off, ideally, if you should look for either a digital piano or a controller with weighted keys, as pointed by some messages above.

Now, my intentions are just to be able to play on the computer

If those are not options for budget or whatever reason, then, IMO, this controller is better than nothing for starters.

but I would also like some sound coming out of the piano.

I think you are aware of it but, as you mentioned you would like some sound coming out of it, then this will not fit. It is a controller only, it sends MIDI messages to another keyboard/digital piano or computer and those are responsible for producing the sounds.

I hope this helps.

PS: do not take Pete14's messages too seriously, he is our pet stand-up comediant. grin 3hearts heart

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
EPW #3071956 01/20/21 03:23 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by EPW
Hi Jen. Welcome aboard. The 88MK3 doesn't have any sounds and no speakers on it. You said you would like to hear sounds on the piano. Plus the unit is only semi-weighted keys. Which are not bad per-say but not ideal if you want to really learn to play the piano. You want a weighted keyboard.

What is your budget for buying a piano?

I don't really want to go above 200 for a keyboard. As i'm just starting out, and I'll definitely buy a more expensive one once I've learned at least a little bit.
I don't necessarily want to learn piano, it would just be nice to play the keyboard, and be able to play the piano when I see one. My friend got one. So I could stop by and play.
There's also those public pianos, so it's just a secondary target.
It's so annoying though. Because everyone has different opinions on keyboards, so I keep getting recommended different ones by people on discord, and the sorts.
And I am terrible with making choices. ^^

J
J
The Donner DEP-20 gets good reviews and is fairly low cost...

E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
At the price point you want to spend there isn't much choice. So if you want to dabble at the keyboard pull out your wallet and go for it laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
If we ignore "piano technique" and just go for "playing keyboard" and you are currently noodling on a qwerty keyboard then it doesn't really matter that much what it is that you upgrade into.

When playing chords and melody your hands need some space. 61 keys could be a minimum. More doesn't hurt. 73 is another common size and then there's 88.

If you ever want to play real pianos the keys should be full size. There are also keyboards with mini keys.

To play without the computer it should have built in sounds and speakers.

To play with sounds from the computer or with other software on the computer it should have a USB socket that transmits MIDI.

It doesn't need to have hammer action keys, but a real piano will then feel very different at first.

Some products are quite large and take much more space than just the keys. Like e.g. the Roland Go:Piano. Some are as compact as it can get e.g. the Vangoa VGK8600.

Start with something cheap and get something better when you feel like it. I wouldn't rely too much on opinions and recommendations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
practice piano device sugguestion?
by MrIDK - 03/05/21 03:25 PM
NY Times article on Blind Tom
by pianoloverus - 03/05/21 02:35 PM
Sound Magic Releases Nameless Grand
by kevin5540 - 03/05/21 02:20 PM
ES110 auto power off
by FinnP - 03/05/21 12:28 PM
Yamaha CLP675 or Roland FP90x
by johan d - 03/05/21 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,408
Posts3,067,011
Members100,724
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission