2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (drumour, 36251, clothearednincompo, Emily2Lame, Alfred La Fleur, Amadeus M., 8 invisible), 314 guests, and 512 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Following Jeff Deutschle's super demonstration/proof about tuning pin twisting, what 'd be fascinated to see, would be a demonstration of the tensions in the speaking and non-speaking lengths of a tuned piano string.

Over the years, I have read statements that stability is achieved when tensions are 'evened out' between the speaking and non-speaking sectons, and statements that stability depends on higher tension in the section between tuning pin and agraffe or V bar and/or pressure bar helping to keep the speaking length at pitch.

It would be fascinating if it were possible to inset strain gauges into those lengths, just to see!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Had the same thought, but not so much about stability as about how the tensions in SL and NSL change. See, the amount of max difference in tension between a SL and NSL is dependent on the amount of bearing friction. At a certain percentage of that max difference, we would consider the string to be stable.

OK, there's many factors, and I feel I might be rambling. Here's an experiment I thought of. Maybe somebody else's turn to do one. (Still have some firewood to cut if the snow ever melts, and a van with body cancer that is due for inspection.) Make a mock-up of a string and tuning pin arrangement with 1 SL and 2 NSLs. Each segment being a whole ratio of the others like the SL being 12 inches, one NSL being 3 inches, and the other being 1 inch. Include a "Twistometer" gauge like I made for the twist demo and somehow make the friction of the bearing points adjustable. If the string path was a "Z" and the bearing points were tuning pins ground into ellipses, turning the pins would make the bearing point sharper or duller, thereby changing the friction. By listening to the SL and NSLs while plucking, the resulting just intervals that would be heard will tell if one section has more or less tension than another section. (Think about it...) A frequency meter would be helpful for documentation.

To continue rambling, as I know what it is I wonder about, but not confident in expressing it... Ken Burton's book "Different Strokes" on hammer technique talks a great deal about how the proportional relationship between bearing friction and pin torque helps determine the appropriate hammer technique. (Gotta apologize, I haven't read it for a number of years. I am going by memory.) The idea is that if when pulling up to pitch, the pitch stays there when releasing torque, the SL and NSL are at the same tension and the string is stable. This would be because the extra tension in the NSL necessary for the strings to render on the way up, are relaxed the required amount when torque is removed from the pin and the pin untwists. BUT IS THIS REALLY SO? And is there a window of stability, and when there is more than one NSL, would both those lengths end up with equal tensions (I doubt it...), and do they need to be? And one other question is about the residual torque in the pin being a factor when an actual tensioned string is involved. And what about flagpoling?

Ugh, might be better to just get a copy of that university study someone mentioned. But then again, seeing (and hearing) is believing.

Gosh, I hope someone else is up to this challenge...

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, and it would be best if this was done with someone with an impact tuning lever so we can see if it truly turns the entire pin without twisting and renders the strings at the same time. Maybe someone from Missouri, the Show Me State. wink

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Possible approach?
The physics used to determine the pressure exerted on the bridge due to string tension and bearing offset may give at least some information?
So if you use the formula to calc the pressure of let’s say note 88 at 50 mm speaking length (other note 88 lengths omitted for ease of thinking) at 0.5 mm bearing or bridge height above string plane and have an accurate method of weighing the bridge and the downforce and this pressure is measured/weighed at something less than what is calculated then the difference is proportional to the tension loss across the bridge.
Make any sense?

It would require making a rigid enough bridge segment that had a very accurate scale under it.
Probably not realistic. Fun to think about though.

RPT
PTG Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
Possible approach?
The physics used to determine the pressure exerted on the bridge due to string tension and bearing offset may give at least some information?
So if you use the formula to calc the pressure of let’s say note 88 at 50 mm speaking length (other note 88 lengths omitted for ease of thinking) at 0.5 mm bearing or bridge height above string plane and have an accurate method of weighing the bridge and the downforce and this pressure is measured/weighed at something less than what is calculated then the difference is proportional to the tension loss across the bridge.
Make any sense?

It would require making a rigid enough bridge segment that had a very accurate scale under it.
Probably not realistic. Fun to think about though.

I wasn't considering having a bridge at all, just a hitch pin, probably a tuning pin as a substitute. I am not a believer in there being any significant change in tension of the bridge string sections while tuning. Someone could do a demo on just that, I suppose... wink

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Perhaps a lucrative government grant could be pursued and one could spend the next ten years researching the matter (and living a comfortable life). TIC

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer releasing new 230VC model
by Sonepica - 03/05/21 11:44 PM
Steinway grand action spread dimension
by grandmaster - 03/05/21 11:31 PM
'91-92 Yamaha U3 and RH Questions
by TLBLibrarian - 03/05/21 10:32 PM
Portrait of Manet
by Dfrankjazz - 03/05/21 10:29 PM
Digital or Hybrid With Quiet Hammer Action
by JakeS2015 - 03/05/21 09:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,415
Posts3,067,134
Members100,727
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission