2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2824324 03/08/19 03:42 PM
R
OP Offline
R
What do you thnik about Steinway and Sons Spririo R?

https://www.steinway.com/spirio-r

Its perfect piano!

Bernard

W
W
I thought it was just an app but you have to buy a Steinway with it smile

https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/steinway-sons-unveils-spirio-r

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Willem63
I thought it was just an app but you have to buy a Steinway with it smile

https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/steinway-sons-unveils-spirio-r

As long as the app is free, it's okay... smile smile

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Still, Steinway has not added a silent mechanism? What the heck is wrong with these people?
They keep making unsubstantiated claims about how “precise” the Spirio system is, but the truth is that musicians don’t give a crap about this! This ‘player-piano’ feature is incidental; however, being able to control the volume, play through headphones, and now even play through the piano’s soundboard are truly magnificent features; none of which the Spirio has.
Can Steinway truly not see where pianos are headed?
Yes, the Steinway acoustic is a great piano, but just as with any other acoustic, it’s not for everyone (price, maintenance, neighboring concerns, space, etc..), so why the heck are they ignoring this reality?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Still, Steinway has not added a silent mechanism? What the heck is wrong with these people?
They keep making unsubstantiated claims about how “precise” the Spirio system is, but the truth is that musicians don’t give a crap about this! This ‘player-piano’ feature is incidental; however, being able to control the volume, play through headphones, and now even play through the piano’s soundboard are truly magnificent features; none of which the Spirio has.
Yes, the Steinway acoustic is a great piano, but just as with any other acoustic, it’s not for everyone (price, maintenance, neighboring concerns, space, etc..), so why the heck are they ignoring this reality?

The Spirio is (partially) targeted to a very different customer group that has no need for the features you mention:
The customers are (ultra) rich people who don't even play the piano themselves, who buy the piano as a status laden accessory/furniture piece to decorate their home. And with the Spirio, they can then have world class pianists play this expensive instrument for them - via a recording. So it's a mix of a status piece and an expensive juke box.
And to be honest - why not? Think about it: Instead of listening to Lisitsa or Barenboim on your expensive Bang & Olufson (or whatever), you could hear them play on an actual Steinway in your own home, whenever you want. And if that Steinway costs no more (in relation to your income), or maybe even less, than a Roland FP-10 would cost us (in relation to our incomes)? And in your mansion you have enough space for it anyway.
Disclaimer: I have no idea if Lisitsa or Barenboim actually do Spirio recordings.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
B
B
Originally Posted by JoBert

The Spirio is (partially) targeted to a very different customer group that has no need for the features you mention:
The customers are (ultra) rich people who don't even play the piano themselves, who buy the piano as a status laden accessory/furniture piece to decorate their home. And with the Spirio, they can then have world class pianists play this expensive instrument for them - via a recording. So it's a mix of a status piece and an expensive juke box.
And to be honest - why not? Think about it: Instead of listening to Lisitsa or Barenboim on your expensive Bang & Olufson (or whatever), you could hear them play on an actual Steinway in your own home, whenever you want. And if that Steinway costs no more (in relation to your income), or maybe even less, than a Roland FP-10 would cost us (in relation to our incomes)? And in your mansion you have enough space for it anyway.
Disclaimer: I have no idea if Lisitsa or Barenboim actually do Spirio recordings.

I agree. Well said. We recently got to demo one of these Steinway Spirios in a Steinway store, and these were our exact thoughts. They are awesome, and sound fantastic, but certainly were made to fill a tiny niche within another tiny niche.

Beardog
1903 Steinway A
1975 Yamaha Studio Upright
Korg G1 Air
Kawai KDP110
P
P
Spirio also allows you to record your own live playing. Instantly and easily. Don't overlook that as a brilliant feature for standalone acoustic piano!
Useful to hear real performance back perfectly from actual piano and appreciate yourself from your armchair, far better than any microphone + speaker reproduction. (And much easier than dragging out mics, mic stands, XLR cables, recording gear and almost no technical audio engineering expertise required.)
Record one half of a piano duet and play / practise the other. Record the teacher's playing for pupils to study / children. etc.
For those owning a Steinway at home or in a music school, it is much more useful and handy.
For a recital hall, sound crew can come an try out numerous miking techniques (for PA / recording) on the actual piano without needing a pianist to play for them repeatedly for hours.
For piano competitions, performers can play in one hall, (maybe for 1st set of judges) and 2nd set of judges can listen "blind" from another piano in another hall without visual bias of who performer is, just listening to piano's sound only. Absolutely unbiased judgment of playing only.
If you were buying a new model D or model B, it's hard to imagine any reason why you wouldn't want to include Spirio built in too. So many advantages.

Yamaha have had Disklavier for years, and Bosendorfer have had the CEUS system for years, and Spirio is really Steinway's answer to that.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
If this is Steinway’s answer to Yamaha’s Disklavier, they’re about two decades late.
The Disklavier does everything listed above and then some.
Then there’s the TransAcoustic! I wonder what Steinway’s answer would be to that; perhaps they’ll strap a couple o’ speakers to the Sipirio and call it the Spirio II..... “The most accurate rendering of the acoustic footprint ever heard through -Mackie- speakers.” wink

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I haven't really kept up with the Spirio, but I also thought it was always kind of a half-baked Disklavier. Didn't it originally not let you record at all, and only streamed performances from the cloud?

I have friends with a new Steinway M that has the non-r Spirio. If I were using my own money to buy a Steinway I don't think I would bother with it. But I guess if my income was high enough where adding it amounted to pocket change, them why not? Shrug...

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert
The customers are (ultra) rich people who don't even play the piano themselves, who buy the piano as a status laden accessory/furniture piece to decorate their home. And with the Spirio, they can then have world class pianists play this expensive instrument for them - via a recording. So it's a mix of a status piece and an epensive juke box.

I think the main goal is allowing Steinway owners to save on musician's fees and instead let their instrument play itself. In essence make everyone except a few "Steinways artists" jobless.

Yamaha P-515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JoeT

I think the main goal is allowing Steinway owners to save on musician's fees and instead let their instrument play itself. In essence make everyone except a few "Steinways artists" jobless.

That's a bit far-fetched Joe...how many professional pianists make their living off playing in bourgeois living rooms day in and day out? Are Steinway B owners competing with major concert venues to have Billy Joel play in their home rather than at Madison Square Garden (or wherever he plays)? And who wants to see a player piano which we've had from the 1800s just go off on its own with a recorded track? If Steinway is wildly successful with the Spirio-r, it will see a small fraction of the use of the decades-old Disklaviers, IMHO.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C
I have a query in to my local Steinway dealer, asking if there's any technical information available on the Spirio-R. Like:

. . . Does it use MIDI ?

. . . Is it compatible with other MIDI-based systems ?

. . . Could I use my Steinway keyboard to drive my synth, or vice versa ?

. . . What does "high resolution" mean ?

and so on . . .

I await the information with bated breath . . . .

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
P
P
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I have a query in to my local Steinway dealer, asking if there's any technical information available on the Spirio-R. Like:
. . . Does it use MIDI ?
. . . Is it compatible with other MIDI-based systems ?
. . . Could I use my Steinway keyboard to drive my synth, or vice versa ?
. . . What does "high resolution" mean ?
and so on . . .
I await the information with bated breath . . . .

Yes, it is MIDI compatible, and can transmit the basic messages to & from other MIDI equipment, but primarily uses its own better-than-MIDI resolution to capture and record music for Spirio playback.
However, funnily enough, the recent MIDI 2.0 spec will now leapfrog and supersede even the resolution of Steinway Spirio!
Dynamic levels for key velocity :
MIDI = 7 bit = 2^7 = 128 dynamic levels
Spirio = 10 bit = 2^10 = 1,024 dynamic levels
MIDI v2.0 = 16 bit = 2^16 = 65,536 levels

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
MIDI with the right standard extension has a 14 bits velocity resolution.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
D
D
I just wonder this system keep improving, and when your outdated will this effect on resale value? or lets say the resale value compare to non spirio system?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
With a 1020 velocity resolution, 800 samples / s.... I guess that if Steinway improves the system, very few people if any would hear something better.

The main thing I would be afraid of is the regulation needed by the Spirio system.

Also, I suppose but may be wrong that the Spirio system is closed (no MIDI import) and just playback song from the Steinway library. Perhaps we will have an offer like Disklavier or CEUS which can record yourself and import/export in a MIDI format.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
F
F

As long as they are the quasi standard for concert halls & schools they don't have to care about private owners. Their aren't a consumer brand, they are a brand that mainly targets profesional clientel. And I don't see that those are going to switch to digital anytime soon.

C
C
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
With a 1020 velocity resolution, 800 samples / s.... I guess that if Steinway improves the system, very few people if any would hear something better.

The main thing I would be afraid of is the regulation needed by the Spirio system.

Also, I suppose but may be wrong that the Spirio system is closed (no MIDI import) and just playback song from the Steinway library. Perhaps we will have an offer like Disklavier or CEUS which can record yourself and import/export in a MIDI format.

In the recording studio at which I am based we have a Hamburg Steinway Model D Grand Piano with a 'Live Performance LX' MIDI record and playback system fitted. The solenoid based mechanism is extremely reliable and able to play encoded files from disc (Zenph 're-performance' recordings) as well as play and record MIDI files from a DAW (we use Logic Pro).

We have recorded numerous albums and tracks for both solo piano and piano based pop songs. Our clients can record, perfect and edit their piano tracks using any MIDI capable keyboard or digital piano, and then send us the MIDI for playback and recording on our Steinway using premium mics, preamps & D/A converters. It's not surprising that the demand for this service has increased in the last 12 months.

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
A
A
This type of devices appeared more than 100 years ago; see, e.g., Welte-Mignon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ8tWYmFIfI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welte-Mignon

Even old mechanical hurdy-gurdies belong to this line.

When such a record is mechanically reproduced on a different instrument in different acoustic environment (however good it is), we cannot expect to hear tiny nuances, which a human performer produces in his (her) individual performance. Consequently, a good acoustical (not mechanical) recording may sound better, depending on the music style.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 01/20/21 05:53 AM.
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
First, why was my rant on Steinway redacted? Did you have something to do with this, Mickey? wink

Second, FloRi89, the “concert” hall as we know it is dead, it just doesn’t know it (kept artificially alive by donations). This is something the great Glenn Gould predicted, and as with many other things he predicted, he was right!

Third, many “professionals” play digitals and are perfectly fine with that. This notion that professionals only play acoustics because, you know, digitals are toys is outdated. And the presumption that only “classical” musicians can be virtuosos is also not true; as a matter of fact, most of today’s classical-virtuosos are robot-like musicians simply playing whatever seems more flashy and technically impressive to the audience, but lacking significantly in true and profound understanding of what it is they’re playing; if they did understand, they would’ve burned everything Liszt wrote!

Steinway is wrong! And they will pay for it! Mark my words!

P.S.

I’m not saying that Steinway should build average, middle-of-the-road digitals; I’m talking about Steinway building top-notch hybrids like the AvantNovus10-SEX and such........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission