2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano, AlphaBravoCharlie, 3B43, brennbaer, brdwyguy, BlakeOR, anotherscott, Bavaria Tom, 14 invisible), 501 guests, and 587 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
OP Offline
H
Hello all,
I know this is a kind of a very subjective question.
And the common answer for most is about twice a year. My question is..do you think every 3 months is
overkill?
I was reading that franz moher would come to Horowitz’s home once a month to tune. I understand
that this was Horowitz, but is that uncommon for many concert pianists...where cost is not an issue?

Thx in advance

Last edited by Horowitz67; 01/19/21 11:54 PM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I'm currently having my Bösendorfer 225 tuned 4 times a year. My tech said that they're beautiful instruments but also very sensitive (he said the same of Shigeru Kawais). He keeps a graph of how much it had gone off tune every time and once it's more stable we might reduce the tunings. Unfortunately with covid (long tuning hiatus) and a renovation where we had to open windows near the piano to air out fumes, I lost a lot of progress.

I have a different mental bucket when it comes to piano expenses. If I think too much about it and what else I could buy with that money, I would go mad 🤣

If cost wasn't an issue, I'd have my tech come every month! I noticed the other day that the tuning is starting to go off already.

P.S. very much not a concert pianist

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
H
OP Offline
H
Twocats,
That is the best answer I could be given 😂😊

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Did you need an excuse to tune more often? 😂😂😂

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
We have concert pianists in our clientele who tune their pianos monthly and those that go literally years between tunings and neglect their pianos terribly and the ones that tune more often are not necessarily more financially well off.
How often you have your piano tuned is a matter of personal preference. Manufacturers recommend twice per year. We have lots of clients who tune 4x per year others that tune twice per year. Once per year should be minimum. It also depends on the piano, how much use it gets, the climate in which it is kept, and how good the tuner is. The stability of the tuning is related to the skill of the tuner as well as the instrument.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Horowitz67
Hello all,
I know this is a kind of a very subjective question.
And the common answer for most is about twice a year. My question is..do you think every 3 months is
overkill?
[...]

"How often" "most?" Who, among us, would know unless we know "most concert pianists." You could ask the same question of amateur pianists and the answers would be the same: from rarely to often. One can't make a generalization.
What is overkill? If you are sensitive to tuning, if you play your piano regularly, if you make recordings at home, if you live in a home where it is not easy to control the environment, perhaps once a month would not be too much.

Concert hall pianos (in some concert halls) are tuned for - and in some cases even during - every performance.

I once asked a very famous concert pianist early in his career whom he used to maintain his piano. He said he never had time to get his piano tuned because he was on tour all the time.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by twocats
Originally Posted by twocats
Nah. Just lookin for some validation on something that I kind of already decided that I want and makes me happy.😉🤣

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I had mine tuned and voiced today. It had been 8 months. I was also getting a highly annoying ping or zinging on a group of notes upon their decay. The tech after listening decided it was the hardening of the damper felts, so he replaced about 8 notes. It had been driving me mad for about 6 months !

Tried a new tech today who came highly recommended- Mori Moritaka Kina. He's the chief tech at Disney Hall and Hollywood Bowl for the LA Phil. He usually doesn't do many house calls because he's so busy but with Covid, he has a fairly open schedule...lucky me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1o0-gwRsXw

Sounds great, he spent almost 3 hours on it. Very laser focused. Expensive but you have to stay on it. I normally do 2-3 times a year. If I had the money it would be probably six times a year, every other month. But I've always used top notch people and their tunings generally hold very well. Also conscientious about keeping the double French doors and one window of the studio closed to avoid drafts. Have a Dampp Chaser with the two reservoir system as well.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X

H
OP Offline
H
Thx for the great replies everyone!

Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
If you tune your own piano like me then it is soon realised that you cannot stand it being out of tune. I regularly make recordings and I am touching up the unisons every week. I don't understand how some who play every day can go seven months before admitting that a tuning is required. Few if any guitarists would play an out of tune guitar.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Because the music is more important than the sound? RIcardo Muti's Christmas message for example.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
I am far from a concert pianist, and far from wealthy, but pre-pandemic, I had my piano tuned every three months

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Originally Posted by Beemer
If you tune your own piano like me then it is soon realised that you cannot stand it being out of tune. I regularly make recordings and I am touching up the unisons every week. I don't understand how some who play every day can go seven months before admitting that a tuning is required. Few if any guitarists would play an out of tune guitar.
Tuning a guitar is incredibly easy vs. tuning a piano and one can't hire a guitar tuner even if one wanted to. Tuning a piano well is very difficult and time consuming for a non professional tuner and IMO not even a good idea for many. It's also expensive.

One of the pianists for the NY Philharmonic rarely had her piano tuned. I don't think it was tuned the last five years of her life although she played regularly. Same for Marc Andre Hamelin. My strong guess is most amateurs have their piano tuned less than once/year. PW members are not typical of the general piano owning public.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/20/21 08:33 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What I would give to be able to just tune my piano four times per year! I average every two months. I have researched this ad nauseam. I have, for the past year, an excellent technician and as such it appears to be more stable. I am way far from being a concert pianist but I play 2 plus hours a day. Still considering the possibility of upgrading later this year - but I love the tone my piano has.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Artur Pizarro has restored a late communist era Estonia concert grand. Here is his answer to the question.

Do you think his lead is one to follow?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Also conscientious about keeping the double French doors and one window of the studio closed to avoid drafts. Have a Dampp Chaser with the two reservoir system as well.

I forgot to add that I have a cover. It's sort of a cheap one that came with the piano but nevertheless functions as it should. I keep saying I should have a high quality one made for me by Instrument Covers in Oregon. Someday.

I mostly practice with it rolled back, occasionally take it off and play on half stick, and ALWAYS keep it covered when not in use.

In addition to keeping the inside of the piano looking cosmetically new, every tech I've had service the piano (probably a half dozen coming up on 15 years) say it also helps stabilize the tuning.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
I keep saying I should have a high quality one made for me by Instrument Covers in Oregon. Someday.

I looked them up because I'm in Oregon but it looks like they may have closed?

Last edited by twocats; 01/20/21 06:38 PM.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
The Daughter ( I believe) took over the business, so it's now Instrument Covers II.

https://pianocovers.net/?fbclid=IwAR2hfJRdguLILUp_lUrCrnkzMDi4vpyLnC5r1ExMI1BuDr5BU0mJv-tyJdA

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for sharing! This isn't far from me at all! Just 20 minutes from a doctor I see regularly. I'm not in the market though-- the cotton custom cover that came with my piano is doing a good job smile

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Same here, mine isn't a stock Steinway cover (is there such a thing ? I bought the piano from a private owner at 9 months old) and leaves annoying cotton particles that you have to clean off with a feather duster but again it does the job ok.

I had a cover from the original Instrument Covers by Jill made for my Yamaha S6 in '97. Outstanding quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
practice piano device sugguestion?
by MrIDK - 03/05/21 03:25 PM
NY Times article on Blind Tom
by pianoloverus - 03/05/21 02:35 PM
Sound Magic Releases Nameless Grand
by kevin5540 - 03/05/21 02:20 PM
ES110 auto power off
by FinnP - 03/05/21 12:28 PM
Yamaha CLP675 or Roland FP90x
by johan d - 03/05/21 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,408
Posts3,067,005
Members100,722
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission