2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (Asperatology, 1957, 1903wrightflyer, 36251, anotherscott, ABull, Beansparrow, Animisha, 12 invisible), 490 guests, and 366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Dfrankjazz
that's totally cool Nahum) Can you tell us some more about him as a person?
In those days, I did not have English to communicate directly with him; however, he came across as a very calm person with a sense of humor. During these years MC lived in Paris; and for the second round he brought his girlfriend - a French woman of 22 years old; and Rolls Royce Model 71, very luxurious and too fast for the distances between traffic lights in Israel; but with a stereo system at the level of the recording studio.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
haha, great, how old was he at the time?

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
I see a specific problem in the order of material in Improvising Blues Piano: the first exercises are aimed at both blues beginners and piano novices; and lack the typical blues signs in both hands. The stylistic left hand appears only on page 18, and the right one - on page 22. But if we base ourselves on the natural course of events in childhood in a music school for me and my fellow students; and later, over the years, in various music schools in our district and elsewhere; then the initial formula was always the same for everyone: || C E G A | Bb A G E | etc for the harmony of the blues - first in the form of a walking bass, then in broken octaves between the hands, and finally only with the left hand.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Dfrankjazz
haha, great, how old was he at the time?
59-60.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not the place to start, but basically a half note bass part with pickup notes added.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
I think that O. Peterson's super virtuoso blues playing existed separately from his vocal concept, built on the imitation of Nat King Cole; which led to the overload of the melodic line.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well that's amazing, I've never heard Sandy's Blues before and I own dozens of Oscar Peterson albums. What a great track. On the same level as his playing on The Trio album with NHOP and Joe Pass.

RinTin - thanks for posting it. You win the understatement of the century award for "Not the place to start" :-)

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)
Pearl Midtown Drums

Nahum At the age of 62, Memphis finished a bottle in a gig - half in the first set, half in the second

https://youtu.be/WZ2LC7X-OhA

School Boy Porter was one my mentors. He always had 3 1/2 pints of whiskey at our gigs one for the drive and set-up time one for the gig and one to get back home. It was funny until he started to pass out. I remember on a gig a bat mitzvah at the Pointe Resort in Phoenix and we were playing Girl from Ipanema and I finish my solo and looked up to give School-boy a nod and he was nowhere to be seen. I frantically look to the flute player and he pointed out to the audience there was School-boy twirling the girl that party was for. He kept doing that laughing all the time and she was also. Her parents that was a different story I wished we had cell phones in that day to take pictures, the horrific looks on the faces as I glanced around was priceless.

Scubapro get mentor or teacher call your union local and start there I am sure you can find someone.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
[Linked Image]

M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I have a question regarding the basic 12 bar blues progression (1111 44 11 5 4 11)

I'm working on using a basic walking bass in the left and improvising something in the right.

It seems to only sound "correct" to me if the walking bass is done with the first note of the chord being the root. That is, if the key is C, then I play either CEGC, or maybe CGCC, then for the F, the first note played in the left is F, etc.

Is it typical that a walking blues pattern in the bass is usually played beginning with the root note?

I am not a beginning player, but I am definitely a beginner for anything other than classical music. I know that blues is improvisational, so there aren't hard and fast rules, but remember, I'm new at this, and I'm learning the basics of the style.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
Here are some web sites that might be helpful

https://www.dummies.com/art-center/music/bass-guitar/how-to-create-a-walking-bass-line/

https://www.fundamental-changes.com/walking-bass-line/

https://www.thejazzpianosite.com/jazz-piano-lessons/jazz-chord-voicings/walking-bass-lines/

There are certain rules when you walk the bass on the piano but if you have a bass player in the the group try and stay away from the root and the fifth when playing together.

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Jazz bassist here. smile Walking basslines often (perhaps even usually) start on the root. It's not a strict requirement, though. In jazz, where things get a little fancier, it's not at all uncommon for the first note to be another chord tone, especially the 5th or 3rd. In blues, that's less common, but not unheard of, especially if you're playing the same chord over multiple measures, when you might use a two-measure bass line (e.g., | R-3-5-6 | b7-6-5-3 | ).

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks, that’s helpful. I don’t play with a group, I would just be jamming with family, with guitars and maybe a mandolin, so I guess in that situation, the piano could take the role of the bass player. For me, that’s good news, as I can pretty much manage in commonly used keys as long as the left starts on the root.

Right now, I’m not doing jazz or anything remotely fancy. If I make two trips through the chord progression without a bomb, I count it a success.

Those links have some good stuff, thanks for sharing them.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
Jazz bassist here. smile Walking basslines often (perhaps even usually) start on the root. It's not a strict requirement, though. In jazz, where things get a little fancier, it's not at all uncommon for the first note to be another chord tone, especially the 5th or 3rd. In blues, that's less common, but not unheard of, especially if you're playing the same chord over multiple measures, when you might use a two-measure bass line (e.g., | R-3-5-6 | b7-6-5-3 | ).

The sophistication of the bass line in jazz is much higher than in the blues. Bebop broke the tradition of repetitive bass riffs into the Straight Ahead groove; the blues is built on them; the riff and its repeats start at the root. If the riff is half-bar or one-bar, then the root appears at 1 and 3, or at the beginning of each bar. If the riff is two bars, then each even bar may start on a different chord tone (strong bar - weak bar) , for ex. ||: C E G A| Bb A G E :||.

W
W
Thanks everyone..turned into something interesting.
Mick

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Nahum

The sophistication of the bass line in jazz is much higher than in the blues. Bebop broke the tradition of repetitive bass riffs into the Straight Ahead groove; the blues is built on them; the riff and its repeats start at the root. If the riff is half-bar or one-bar, then the root appears at 1 and 3, or at the beginning of each bar. If the riff is two bars, then each even bar may start on a different chord tone (strong bar - weak bar) , for ex. ||: C E G A| Bb A G E :||.

Glad we're in agreement, almost word for word! laugh

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Glad we're in agreement, almost word for word! laugh
Yes, I somehow didn’t read your last sentence, sorry!
At the same time, working on the bass line requires studying the scale of the relationship between strong and weak points, where the chord root appears in the strongest points. However, units of count can range from quarter , half a bar, a whole bar, two bars (as in the example), and up to four bars (which is typical for jazz). I have not seen larger units.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie discoveries and breakthroughs
by SunnyKeys - 04/23/21 09:11 AM
Bach Prelude tempo
by Hakki - 04/23/21 08:59 AM
How do they do it?
by sheana - 04/23/21 07:54 AM
How to Play Blues Piano
by BB666 - 04/23/21 03:02 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,484
Posts3,085,653
Members101,282
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission