2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (Chouca, BlakeOR, AlphaBravoCharlie, Carey, Calavera, 21 invisible), 476 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha-P125 and it's been great so far! The only issue I've noticed is that when I hold a key down and then play another key close it it, there's a strange high pitched, almost whisling, effect. Is this just from their sample of a grand piano or do you think it's a defect with the keyboard?

EDIT: I wonder if this is what I'm experiencing and it's just the simulation of a grand? https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comm...d_is_developing_weird_aftertone/ej4buco/

Last edited by Greymagic27; 01/19/21 09:45 AM. Reason: Added info
G
OP Offline
G

Last edited by Greymagic27; 01/19/21 10:01 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greymagic27
Hi,

I recently purchased a Yamaha-P125 and it's been great so far! The only issue I've noticed is that when I hold a key down and then play another key close it it, there's a strange high pitched, almost whisling, effect. Is this just from their sample of a grand piano or do you think it's a defect with the keyboard?

EDIT: I wonder if this is what I'm experiencing and it's just the simulation of a grand? https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comm...d_is_developing_weird_aftertone/ej4buco/

Hello, Greymagic27, and welcome to Piano World!

I'm probably not the best person to respond to your thread, but several years ago I had a similar experience with a brand new Yamaha P90 digital stage piano I purchased. The difference was, I could play just a single note in the upper treble, and hear the awful ringing/whistling noise, although I heard the odd nuance on several of the upper treble notes. It (the odd ringing overtones) was very obvious and very annoying. The P90 did not have internal speakers, so I had to use a keyboard amp. I thought it was the amp, and took the amp back to the store (because I bought it locally at a music store) and exchanged it for a different keyboard amp. Nothing changed, and I still heard the same odd ringing overtones.

I contacted Yamaha customer service, who connected me to the warranty service department. I explained to them what I was hearing, and they said they would get back to me. A few days later, they emailed me back, and said there was nothing wrong with the P90, but my hearing was the problem, although they never examined my P90. I also read online that other people were complaining about the odd ringing overtones on the Yamaha P90, so it was not just me.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed. The online seller I bought the P90 from said I would have to deal with Yamaha warranty service, because there were no refunds or exchanges, so I sold the P90 on ebay at a loss, and bought a Casio Privia 310, and, it sounded great in all registers, all notes, and no odd ringing, and I enjoy it to this day.

I'm sorry to say but it was a bad experience for me, and though I love Yamaha acoustic pianos, I'll never buy another Yamaha digital piano.

Not sure this has helped you any, but if you call Yamaha warranty service, they will likely tell you it is not the P125 but your hearing that is the problem.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greymagic27

Google Drive Acces denied

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

G
OP Offline
G

I listened to your audio file, although I had to download it a couple of times, and I did hear the ringing overtone. It was actually similar to the ringing overtones I heard on the P90. So, the issue is likely embedded into the samples of your P-125. But I'm no expert.

Good luck!

Rick

P.S. You might try posting this thread on the Digital Piano Forum here on PW, and get more/better responses. http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...-electronic-pianos-synths-keyboards.html

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the quick reply!

I had the same thought about it being part of the GP sample as it doesn't happen on any of the E pianos.

I've cross posted it onto the digital piano forum but if it's part of the samples there's not much I can do! It's not a major issue either way but I just wanted to know what's going on.

Is there a setting to adjust the sympathetic vibration? This occurs on an acoustic piano as the upper most keys are not dampened and will ring slightly when a corresponding lower note is played.

G
OP Offline
G
I've had a look but I can't see anything in the manual for it. I'm thinking it's just the sample they took

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,677
Members100,711
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission