2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Calavera, anotherscott, CyberGene, Carey, Animisha, 15 invisible), 493 guests, and 540 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3071341 01/19/21 06:48 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I have posted a video with some arpeggio efficiency tips in the Adult Piano Forum recently.
Here is a small addition to it, a tutorial (with a score attached) explaining a very common exercise that will be very beneficial to every piano player. It is called 11 Types of Arpeggio (at least we call it so where I am from), and it sounds quite beautiful actually.
https://youtu.be/q4qgpRJO-Mk

I hope this will be helpful to someone, and you're very welcome to subscribe for more tutorials!

But I am looking for some other exercises or other versions of this exercise in order to diversify my practising and teaching routine, so I would be very happy if you'd share your own favourite exercises...

B
B
Very interesting.
I don't play classical music but I practice arpeggios and scales (and chords).
You respond to my question "jump or not?" So it is jump. (but not when playing slowly ?)
(My teacher had a trick to learn to jump it was to use the next key to stick the finger. I use it in order to stretch my thumb joint)

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
So far every video I've watched by this young pianist is extremely well done, well explained and based on sound piano pedagogy.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
OP Offline
D
That's interesting, I'd love to understand more about that trick!

B
B
Thanks for sharing this! I agree with Bruce - this is exceptionally well done. This reminds me, I really should practice my 7ths are arpeggios more.

Also, very impressive thumb on black keys at the end too. I've never been able to do that 1st inversion A major well with thumb on the C#. My 4th finger always feels like it gets stuck on the A.

Not sure if I have a favorite arpeggio exercise. There are endless exercises in Jonas' Master School collection. You familiar with the collection? His 3rd book is completely dedicated to arpeggios. It has been a while since I went through the book so I can't recall any favorites. I do remember them being helpful for improving speed - a lot focus on reducing the time for moving the hands between octaves.

https://imslp.simssa.ca/files/imgln...Piano_Playing_%26_Virtuosity_-_vol_3.pdf

Complete collection at:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Master_School_of_Piano_Playing_and_Virtuosity_(Jon%C3%A1s%2C_Alberto)

Last edited by benjamink; 01/25/21 04:07 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

I keep thinking that if each of us had the time to work, seriously and methodically, through these exercises many of us might become technically highly proficient. That said, some of the exercises do seem mind-numbing and even with the schedule of time allotment suggested by the author(s), how many of us could possibly persevere?

Cortot had similarly endless exercises for the preparation of playing the Chopin Etudes (among other works) and, in many cases where there were a dozen or more exercises for a single Etude, one of the given exercises was "to be played in all keys." Again, who among us ... ?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD

I keep thinking that if each of us had the time to work, seriously and methodically, through these exercises many of us might become technically highly proficient. That said, some of the exercises do seem mind-numbing and even with the schedule of time allotment suggested by the author(s), how many of us could possibly persevere?

Cortot had similarly endless exercises for the preparation of playing the Chopin Etudes (among other works) and, in many cases where there were a dozen or more exercises for a single Etude, one of the given exercises was "to be played in all keys." Again, who among us ... ?

Regards,

So true... I have the same thoughts regarding Jonas' and Cortot's exercises. I usually only have around an hour a day to practice so technical exercises usually aren't the focus of my practice sessions.

That said, I have opened these books from time to time if I am struggling with a particular technique in a piece of music to get some free ideas.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BY far the best person in the world performing arpeggios is Todd Scott that i've ever seen and heard. I believe he is working on a book on how to perform and practice them, and i think I heard him say he has 400 types. You should check out some of his videos.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations
"Where Tone is Key"
Lenoir City, Tennessee U.S.A
www.chernobieffpiano.com
grandpianoman@protonmail.com
D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by benjamink
Thanks for sharing this! I agree with Bruce - this is exceptionally well done. This reminds me, I really should practice my 7ths are arpeggios more.

Also, very impressive thumb on black keys at the end too. I've never been able to do that 1st inversion A major well with thumb on the C#. My 4th finger always feels like it gets stuck on the A.

Not sure if I have a favorite arpeggio exercise. There are endless exercises in Jonas' Master School collection. You familiar with the collection? His 3rd book is completely dedicated to arpeggios. It has been a while since I went through the book so I can't recall any favorites. I do remember them being helpful for improving speed - a lot focus on reducing the time for moving the hands between octaves.

https://imslp.simssa.ca/files/imgln...Piano_Playing_%26_Virtuosity_-_vol_3.pdf

Complete collection at:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Master_School_of_Piano_Playing_and_Virtuosity_(Jon%C3%A1s%2C_Alberto)

Thanks Benjamin, it's great that he provides some pieces with explanations/relevant exercises as well, will have a closer look into this book - never have heard about it.

B
B
Originally Posted by Denis Zhdanov
That's interesting, I'd love to understand more about that trick!

Difficult for me to explain it in english as I am french.

Let's try...

so when you need to run a finger over your thumb, instead of just pressing your thumb "normally", you push it against the next key, while keeping the "current" key pressed. This stretches the thumb joint since you have a fixed point.
I do this for the first few passes and then I'm stretched enough to do without it.

My teacher's teacher (!), who was a Cortot's student , used to make him work on the thumb passages by jumping up or down an octave instead of the next note.

Overall, his idea is the same as the one in your video, namely (for the fast arpeggios), making a jump rather than a linked work.
And my teacher always insisted on this jump and on the starting point, she told me that you have to somehow "catapult" the finger from a blocking point.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
R
R
Thanks for the video, wonderful! :-)
Much appreciated with the free pdf too, since it's going quite fast for me to see the fingering.

I mix/master piano tracks. 50+50=75

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,658
Members100,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission