2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (Chris888, ando, Animisha, 24000rpm, antune, butchkoch, Bill McKaig,RPT, ABull, 1957, 8 invisible), 481 guests, and 455 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mimbler Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I played classical guitar before starting piano many years ago, and I'd like to start playing the guitar again. If any of you play both, how do you handle the fingernail issue (longish for guitar, short for piano)?
thanks for any tips,
Mike

Mike
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I file my RH nails so that they are just long enough for guitar. Not overly long, not even a 16th of an inch. If I keep them at this length, I have no trouble at the piano. Any longer I I start to get a click. Because I play my electrics with a thumbpick and fingers, I use clear nail hardener to protect against chipping and breakage.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Used to play classical guitar. Still have a classical guitar except now I play my music on it. It's a Dean cutaway.

J
J
I play classical guitar, and have thought about this in the past, sorry to advertise for other forums, but i remember i found quite a discussion on this in a classical guitar forum called delcamp, heres the link

http://www.delcamp.net/forum/en/

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Eek. It can be a problem.

My bachelor's degree is in classical guitar performance. I played piano with RH nails for many years, though I've never kept my nails very long, because if my index finger nail grows more than slightly, it kind of hooks under and creates an unpleasant sound.

After music school I took up playing lute, and found that it worked best with extremely minimal nails. I was able to switch back and forth between guitar and lute without any trouble.

In 1993, when piano addiction suddenly took over my life, I became absolutely unable to stand having nails at all. I was also then, having cut my nails, unable to produce the sound I had previously enjoyed on the guitar. Lute without nails was fine, though, in fact better than before.

At the same time, I became a Doctor of Oriental Medicine, and nails became absolutely impossible because they poke into patients' skin when I take pulses or press points.

So where I'm at now is that I play without nails (when I play guitar at all), and on the rare occasions that I need to play guitar for a performance, I temporarily grow them a little bit.

There are numerous guitarists here in New Mexico who play without nails by choice; they were mostly students of Hector Garcia, who was a disciple of Pujol if I'm not mistaken, or students of those students. Their technique is quite different from the average, and it includes some severe weaknesses, including almost laughably poor tremolo. They have to play apoyando all the time to make up for the lack of volume. It's kind of a religion with them. I don't recommend this approach, although they did convince me that the usual very heavily nail-y sound can be obnoxious.

Somehow over the years I became more able to use the very slight edge of my very short nails to get an adequate sound on the guitar. I'm not sure what made the difference. Do experiment with different strings to see what works best for you with minimal nails.

And do consider this: Any nail at all limits the ability of the hand to roll forward, that is for the fingers to move over the nail-- I'm not sure how to describe this motion, but anyway, the nail blocks it, and it is necessary to expressive and free piano technique.

I think this all comes down to arranging your nails to be best for the instrument that you play most and is most important to you.

Elene

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I played flamenco but quit it when i started piano. There is just no way i could play without nails. Not just tremolo, but most rh techniques demand pretty long (long for a pianist that is) nails.

M
Mimbler Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies - they were helpful. I think I'll try the short nails as piano is my primary instrument. I actually played guitar with fairly short nails previously except for the thumbnail which needed to be longer. A little extra nail on the thumb may not bother me much on the piano - I'll have to give it a try and adapt as necessary.
thanks, Mike

Mike
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I have the same question / issue, except that SAXOPHONE is my primary instrument - piano is my double.

Also, what about the callous question? Do guitar callouses interfere with piano? I would think they would.

Note, this is for a nylon string, wide neck classical guitar.

Thanks!

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Hi Skyscrapersax,

I play piano, sax and just started classical guitar a couple months ago. I’ve found that piano and sax are pretty compatible but guitar is a problem due to the nails issue. I’ve decided that I will not be playing with nails on the guitar and have made this clear to my teacher. Her opinion was that I’ll be ok without nails for a couple of years (the beginner years) but she said that nails are pretty much expected at the intermediate/advanced years. For example, if I were to do RCM exams, she said the examiners would expect the tone from nails by about RCM Level 5.

I cannot have proper technique on the piano with any length of nail and am not prepared at the moment to sacrifice piano technique for the classical guitar. If/when I get to the intermediate level, I’ll re-evaluate then.

So far, I have not developed significant calluses that affect my piano playing...maybe I’m not practicing enough?

Also, as mentioned in a previous post, and if you’re not already aware of it, there’s a whole subforum regarding nails on the delcamp classical guitar forum if you’re interested:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewforum.php?f=87&sid=90f551f8425469b6f8842a850ba00e2b

BTW, this is an 11 year old thread. smile

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 01/19/21 11:35 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Built in speaker or external steron peakers
by Jojovan - 04/18/21 07:09 AM
Heintzman at the White House?
by Retsacnal - 04/18/21 12:43 AM
Yamaha p45 vs YDP 144 vs Roland rp102
by Shortshoppy - 04/17/21 11:48 PM
Action Regulation on 1982 Steinway B
by Harpuia - 04/17/21 11:34 PM
Estonia pianos though the years?
by PeterV73 - 04/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,370
Posts3,083,696
Members101,224
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission