2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Ainar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I come from a classical piano background with very little actual experience with jazz (played pop by ear and studied classical harmony, and occasionally played fully-notated scores of jazz standards), and I'm trying to learn Chet Baker's version of "You don't know what love is". None of the available sheet music or the covers on youtube give his version faithfully. Some chords are giving me a very hard time, but I know they're probably standard jazz harmonies that would be easier to figure out for a jazz-experienced ear.

In the version on youtube, I can't figure out the following:
1. the chord on "until" (you've loved a love) at 0:27
2. the chord on "don't" (you don't know) at 0:36 (sounds like G sharp minor 7, but with a missing element, then resolving to something I also can't make out before going to G half dim 7 (G, B flat, D flat, F) then C7 with 10-9 (sorry for the messed-up labeling)
2. the chord on "don't" (you don't know) at 1:13 (an augmented chord version of no.2?)
3. the bridge to "do you know how a lost heart fears" (the two chords from 1:18 to 1:21, leading to B flat minor 7 on 1:22). (I can only make out the movement F ("love is"), E flat, D, B to B flat in the bass (clearer at its repetition at 3:26 with trumpet)).
4. The coda from 4:32: D flat major 7, G flat major 7, (?), (?) (the same chord on D in no.3), F minor with E, G sharp, B (forgive me for not knowing the correct label- #7, #9, #11?)

Thank you so much for your help!

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
approximately

(btw, you have two #2s in your list)

1 Bb13b5 (notes are LH: Bb,Ab RH: C,E,G )
2 G#m9 to LH simple 5th interval on C# (i.e. C#, G#)
2 G7#5#9
3 D7#9, B7b5
4 (Dbma7, Gbma7) B7b5 D7#9

A
Ainar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Please forgive me for this very late response! Thank you SO much for your wonderful help. It took me a while to get the right voicings, but I'm so excited to have these gaps filled!

The Bb13b5 chord comes elsewhere and I also had it wrong there (using D instead of C and E). Can this chord not have an F (a normal 5th) though and retain its quality? I'm thinking then of the E as a #11?

The G#m9 to C# movement makes perfect sense now, because it's followed by G to C (is this half-tone shift common)?

p.s. I really enjoyed some of your youtubes and will be listening to more! Great stuff.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
The Bb13b5 chord comes elsewhere and I also had it wrong there (using D instead of C and E). Can this chord not have an F (a normal 5th) though and retain its quality? I'm thinking then of the E as a #11?
F in the RH would sound a bit squashed against the b5 but you could do it. Adding D in the LH or RH would be much less daring. Quite possibly one (or even both) of those alternatives in the RH is what's being played on the track.
E notated as #11; yes with the 13 in there that would be a more fitting description than my b5.

The G#m9 to C# movement makes perfect sense now, because it's followed by G to C (is this half-tone shift common)?
Yes, very common.

p.s. I really enjoyed some of your youtubes and will be listening to more! Great stuff.
- thanks for that...glad you got to fill the gaps!

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission