2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Animisha, ambrozy, Corvus, 8ude, 16 invisible), 567 guests, and 538 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3070973 01/18/21 01:49 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hello, in conjunction with my first post in the Adult Beginners forum, I appreciate advice on buying a digital piano. I've had my eye on the FP-30. I like the feel and sound better than Yamahas/Casios of similar price. Now that the new FP-X series is being released I'm weighing the costs/benefits anew. I've hesitated to spend the money but if I'm going to spend it I want it to be a good investment - insofar as any electronic device can be deemed an investment.

My purpose is to have a piano at home to play and practice. I grew up playing an upright Kawai and my playing isn't terribly advanced but intend to become competent.

The FP-30X looks really good at just $50 more than the FP-30, but I start asking myself if the 60X would be a wiser choice or just overkill.

Thanks for advice.

P
P
FP-60X will be better sounding than FP-30, with more features and more convenient interface.

But if you really want to make a difference, look into FP-90X - it has sound modelling and more responsive, and has a better keyboard.
Check also other pianos in the range of FP-60X and FP-90X. Ideally, play as many pianos as you can and in different price ranges, and then decide what makes sense for you.
When I purchased my first digital, I was first looking for under 1000 range, I did not like anything even remotely, it was several years ago. Then tried 2000 it was better but I was still not enthusiastic. Then 3000 and almost purchased in this category but fall in love with a piano which cost over 4k. Also liked hybrids but thought it was overkill.

May be you can stick to a piano which you buy even if you are not completely satisfied, or you want to replace it very soon, you never know, so try and ideally play it many times, try different genres before you buy.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
_
_
I don't think the FP60(X) is overkill of any sorts. It wasn't hugely popular because it mainly has a bit better speakers and a longer list of not-hugely-important features, with the same key action, and is less portable than the FP30. The FP60X quite oddly appears to start with a lower price tag than the FP60.
Don't forget to check Kawai ES110/520/920.

B
B
I would say that if you intend to play very much with headphones the extra money for th FP-60x isn‘t worth it because it has the same PHA-4 Standard action as the FP-30x.
But I can’t say anything about how much better the FP-60x speakers are.
I wouldn’t recommend anymore a DP with the PHA-4 Standard Action to any player with ambitious goals

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The FP-30x is targeted towards the home studio. If you just need a minimal board for practice and occasional gigs, it's pretty good. I find my FP-30 perfect for my bedroom studio.

The FP-60x is basically the same board but has additional features that are more gig friendly.

1. performance friendly hardware controls. There are sliders for Volume, Equalizer (Low/Mid/High), Lower/Upper Parts and Mic Vol. Also a physical on/off switch for the speakers, a Mic Gain knob and convenient buttons for splits/layers and transposing.
2. mic input + mic f/x
3. 3.5mm stereo input for audio player
4. slightly more powerful speakers (13Wx2 vs. 11W x2)
5. three 1/4 pedal inputs for damper, sostenuto, soft or expression pedals and it supports the Roland RPU-3 triple pedal

The US$1099 price makes the FP-60x pretty attractive. Another board worth looking at in this range is the Roland RD-88 - targeted more at stage performers and also VST friendly controls.

It's a great time to be buying a digital piano/keyboard! Don't forget to look at the other boards from Kawai, Yamaha and Korg!

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just to be complete (since I'm wondering if I should upgrade from the FP-30).

The FP-90x has all the features of the FP-60x (listed above). The additional features on the FP-90x are:

1. 8x PureAcoustic modeled pianos with unlimited polyphony and 12x older SuperNatural pianos with 256 polyphony.
2. PHA-50 Keyboard Action
3. 4x Speakers: (25W x2 and 5W x2)

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
_
_
Originally Posted by Groove On
Just to be complete (since I'm wondering if I should upgrade from the FP-30).

The FP-90x has all the features of the FP-60x (listed above). The additional features on the FP-90x are:

1. 8x PureAcoustic modeled pianos with unlimited polyphony and 12x older SuperNatural pianos with 256 polyphony.
2. PHA-50 Keyboard Action
3. 4x Speakers: (25W x2 and 5W x2)

I think one can't count features like this.
2. Indeed, the FP90(X) have better keys. How much, one should judge himself.
1. Don't count pianos packed inside, it is one engine with a few different presets. Quite difficult to tell how much and if PA (FP90X) is better than SNM (FP90) and SN (FP60(X), FP30(X)). Try comparing online sound samples with quality headphones, though it is not the same as when playing yourself. It might occur you find you don't like any particularly...
3. This is just indicative power, doesn't say much about the sound quality. In real life, FP30(X) speakers are quite "entry range" and down-pointed. The others are upwards pointed and somewhat better, still quite unlike good studio monitors or PA speakers. FP90 speakers do produce some volume (with all three eq sliders at the top in addition to vol), but I couldn't say the FP90 sounds its best with them. There are reasons why stage pianos tend to come without speakers rather than with bigger speakers... This is another thing you should judge hands-on.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you all for the comments. In terms of getting a good deal does it make a difference to pre-order / could prices go up once they're on the floor?

N
N
I found this in the 90x spec sheet, and if true a nice upgrade over the prior models 1-track.

“....Recording:
3-track, SMF, WAV 16-bit/44.1kHz...”

Last edited by NYCDLP; 01/19/21 04:15 PM.
L
OP Offline
L
Hope someone can break my circle of indecision between the FP-30X and FP-60X, with total cost vs value being the main consideration. For my purposes, the better interface!, "tuning/voicing," speakers, and 3D Ambience for headphones are appealing but don't know those are justified for an extra $350.

Beyond the features:

The 30X comes with a pedal switch while the 60X comes with a damper pedal. Is the former sufficient or will I likely want to want to upgrade to the $50 pedal anyhow?

I will need to get a stand & bench and I think about saving money somehow there (including DIY as explored in one thread). Would a relatively inexpensive Z or X style stand be sturdy enough to withstand the whims of a toddler? I also consider that theoretically I could put the 60X on any surface...

Thank you!

A damper pedal is much more preferable to a little foot switch.

Similar to previous comments I would look at it this way. Are you going to use a lot of the included features (metronome, sounds other than piano, dual/split mode, connecting a bluetooth device etc.)? If you think you will, then the UI of the FP60X will make your life a lot easier and is worth a premium over the 30X.

Same story with the speakers. Are you going to use them regularly (as opposed to headphones)? Then the FP60X provides a lot of extra value. Or rather than using the built in speakers you could get external monitors to hook up to the FP30X. Also consider the extra physical connections Groove On mentioned above.

If you just want to sit down and play the piano with headphones maybe those extra features won't enhance your experience at all.

Not to make your decision more complicated, but you could also consider the Kawai ES520. Not sure how much it costs where you are (it's slightly cheaper than the FP60 where I am in Canada) and its speakers and user interface are upgrades over the FP30X and should be comparable to the FP60X.

J
J
Originally Posted by LongTimeNoSee
The 30X comes with a pedal switch while the 60X comes with a damper pedal. Is the former sufficient or will I likely want to want to upgrade to the $50 pedal anyhow?!

Whether you buy it separately, or get a keyboard that comes with it, you want the Roland DP-10 pedal, for sure. The footswitch thing is simply unusable. The DP-10 is also nicer than any of the third party pedals I've tried. Make sure to flip it into continuous mode.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks to all for your advice. I've pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the 90X. After several rounds of comparing the 30 and 90 in the store, the 90 just feels so much better, like I am getting more out of it. Through headphones, the 90 sounded better - though given it is the same modeling as the 30 I'm not sure the reason for that, maybe the equalizer settings(?). And I understand the modeling in the 90x is a step above the 90 in modeling anyhow. I really liked having the ready controls as well.

When I asked the sales person whether it makes a difference for salespeople whether I buy in store, his response was only that it saves me money. And thus the scales tipped and I pre-ordered on the spot. I was taken aback that I could save money on a new instrument by buying it in person. Whether my discount was good luck or fairly normal practice, I am pretty thrilled.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by LongTimeNoSee
Thanks to all for your advice. I've pulled the trigger and pre-ordered the 90X. After several rounds of comparing the 30 and 90 in the store, the 90 just feels so much better, like I am getting more out of it. Through headphones, the 90 sounded better - though given it is the same modeling as the 30 I'm not sure the reason for that, maybe the equalizer settings(?). And I understand the modeling in the 90x is a step above the 90 in modeling anyhow. I really liked having the ready controls as well.

You have good taste. The FP30 is sampled, not modelled. The FP 90, IMHO, is a really nice DP.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,658
Members100,709
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission