2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (chopin_r_us, Alfred La Fleur, aidans, AlphaBravoCharlie, Billy Johnsson, CraiginNZ, 10 invisible), 299 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I took lessons as a child and teen but didn't get very far. When back at the childhood home I bang away at the long-untuned piano, mostly my own compositions. My ability to read music never progressed greatly. I've been wanting to get back to really learning how to play, also with an eye to introducing my child to the piano. I want to avoid bad habits and feel that I must, in the words of Yoda, unlearn what I have learned. I've watched some youtube videos on basic music theory which have been eye-opening though putting it into practice is the real challenge. What guidance would you give on both mindset, resources, and practical approaches?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The first advice would be to get a teacher. But what do you want to play ? Classical, jazz, blues, rock or pop song ?

You can search with google for Piano with Jonny
Piano with Willie
Piano Marvel
Duan Shinn

Last edited by Serge88; 01/18/21 02:28 PM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
+1. Get a teacher, firstly to correct the old habits that immediately will pop up the moment you start playing again. The learning to read take a long breath, especially if you want to read fast. I'm talking years. Have patience and a good teacher to keep you motivated

Most important, aim to have fun, not to learn reading or some other theoretical goal

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by LongTimeNoSee
I took lessons as a child and teen but didn't get very far.

I want to avoid bad habits and feel that I must, in the words of Yoda, unlearn what I have learned.
If you want to avoid bad technical habits as a student pianist, there is only one solution - get a good teacher.

I've never yet met a pianist who was entirely self-taught who didn't have bad habits. For most of them, that didn't hinder them because they only played simple pop & jazz stuff like melody RH and chords LH. So, why fix what isn't broken for them?

In your case, you've had lessons as a child, so it all depends on how far you progressed with them. My experience is that those who've had several years of decent lessons (and done decent practicing) have a good enough grounding of technical skills which they never forget in adulthood, and can pick up again with no trouble, and then continue where they left off, even without a teacher - as long as they don't overreach and cause themselves injuries or tension problems.

As for music theory etc, you don't need a teacher for them - develop your aural skills and learn from books and YT videos. I've written at length before about how you can practice ear training simply from listening to music (any music) assuming that you already know the basics.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
F
F
Well, if you want to do this, you are going to do it everyday for a long period of time. The best teacher isn't going to help you when you just stop playing in a few months.

So the best advice probably is: Find something that will make you want to play everyday. Find the music you like, find a way of learning you like. I'm assuming you want to play for fun, not as a career. So sticking with it will be the greates challenge you will face.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIY Piano Tuning on Yamaha U1 - Cyberhammer?
by pianofish - 03/06/21 05:08 AM
Bosendorfer releasing new 230VC model
by Sonepica - 03/05/21 11:44 PM
Steinway grand action spread dimension
by grandmaster - 03/05/21 11:31 PM
'91-92 Yamaha U3 and RH Questions
by TLBLibrarian - 03/05/21 10:32 PM
Portrait of Manet
by Dfrankjazz - 03/05/21 10:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,416
Posts3,067,146
Members100,727
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission