2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (Beansparrow, FloRi89, Emily2Lame, CraiginNZ, DPAfficionado, Eduardo82, chen, Calavera, 7 invisible), 430 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Has anyone got their Yamaha USB audio interface working at 128 or 64 Buffersize?

Using the latest Yamaha USB driver my Garritan CFX only displayed the 512 buffer option - which gave an objectionable delay from key down to sound out.

I had to install ASIO4ALL to access other buffer sizes : 256, 128, 64 - and only 256 gives unbroken sound but still with a slight delay.

My PC should be powerful enough to do 128 (LatencyMon results look good) so wondering if the Yamaha drivers are the bottleneck....

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
My Yamaha-Steinberg Driver propose some little buffer (64 I think).

Is the 512 buffer length proposed by the ASIO configuration of this driver ?

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
OP Offline
S
Yes, in the Garritan CFX Preferences page with API=ASIO, Audio Device = Yamaha Steinberg
I am only offered a buffer size of 512 @ 44.1KHz.

I briefly tried some of the other APIs but ASIO seems the best for low latency. But I’m puzzled why the native driver only offers 512 buffer size. But ASIO4ALL offers the full range...

I guess the next step will be to try a different audio interface - either via the laptop’s headphone output or via a Focusrite unit.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
My P-515 works all the way down to 64, however on the odd occasion it will suddenly sound chopped up, and it stays that way until I do something to clear the condition. I'm seeing how I go at 96.

Does Garritan give you a "display the device control panel" option? If so, try that, and set the buffer size in the Yamaha/Steinberg control panel. After doing that, if it still shows 512 back in Garritan, select another device temporarily, and then re-select the Yamaha/Steinberg driver.

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 01/18/21 01:24 PM.
B
B
I using Garritan CFX on a Mac Mini M1 (16bg ram) and Yamaha p-515 at 32 buffer size and works great.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by sullivang
My P-515 works all the way down to 64

Cool. So there’s hope for me!

Does Garritan give you a "display the device control panel" option?

Nope - just a very sparse preferences page with some dropdown boxes.

I can open the ASIO4ALL config page via the task bar when the CFX player is running but the app preferences seem to take priority. I haven’t found the equivalent Yamaha USB driver page (if one exists).

set the buffer size in the Yamaha/Steinberg control panel. After doing that, if it still shows 512 back in Garritan, select another device temporarily, and then re-select the Yamaha/Steinberg driver

Thanks - I will try that.

Originally Posted by Boboulus
I using Garritan CFX on a Mac Mini M1 (16bg ram) and Yamaha p-515 at 32 buffer size and works great.

Damn. Knew I should have gone for a mac for audio work!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I'd make a suggestion to Garritan to add that button that opens the control panel for the selected device.

Fortunately, the buffer setting seems to persist after an application is closed, so you could try this:
- Close Garritan down
- Find ANY app that does provide a way to open the control panel for the device. (e.g - the trial version of Pianoteq)
- In that app, go into the audio settings, open the control panel for the ASIO device, and set the buffer size. (in Pianoteq, the button is called "Show this device's control panel")
- Close down the app
- Open Garritan, and hopefully the buffer size will be the one you just configured

Btw, I think the issue is that the Yamaha/S driver doesn't allow the application to change the buffer size. Some drivers definitely do. Maybe that is a bug? I'm not sure.
For example, in Pianoteq, I too cannot change the buffer size from within Pianoteq, without opening the device control panel.

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 01/18/21 05:47 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Greg. I will download PianoTeq and try changing the buffer size from there.

O
O
Steinberg/Yamaha usb driver are the same for the whole range clavinova/P/Mox/CP/... ?

B
B
Just came to think of it. I haven’t even downloaded the steinberg drivers from Yamaha to my new Mac mini... doesn’t seem to be necessary ☺️

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Pianoteq buffer size seems to take priority. I get 2.9ms lag which I'm unaware of, with 128 samples whatever that means, using AS104ALL and headphone out socket in netbook. It's troublefree.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
S
OP Offline
S
I took Greg’s advice and downloaded the PianoTeq trial. Very nice indeed - and nice to have a proper audio device control panel with all the options clearly displayed and functional!

After testing my conclusion is the Yamaha USB drivers don’t like the AMD Ryzen 7 processor in my Huawei Matebook14 :

When I output PianoTeq to my integrated RealTek soundcard I can happily set the audio buffer to 64 indicating the processor has no problem generating packets at that rate.

However when I attempt to route the PianoTeq via the Yamaha USB driver I’m back to the 256 limit (setting anything less causes audio breakup).

ie. The Yamaha USB driver is bottlenecking at 256 samples - for both PianoTeq and Garritan. But if I output to my local soundcard I can run 64 no problem.

Trouble is the headphone output of my laptop sounds abysmal with analog hiss. So I guess my best option is to buy a USB audio interface in the hope of getting some better USB drivers and hopefully a cleaner lineout.

Last edited by Showpan2; 01/18/21 08:58 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I think it's possible you have an issue with your system config. If you haven't already, search for recommendations on optimising your system for real time audio.
I don't think it's justifiable to blame the AMD processor yet.

Greg

S
OP Offline
S
Yes - it could also be the Matebook’s USB 3.0 ports don’t work well with the small 64 sample packets. In which case an external USB interface won’t help. The Matebook has a USB-C port I can try instead if I get the necessary cables.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Otavio
Steinberg/Yamaha usb driver are the same for the whole range clavinova/P/Mox/CP/... ?
There are two drivers. The Steinberg-Yamaha which is Audio+MIDI and the Yamaha MIDI-USB which should be used for only MIDI over USB instruments.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
New iOS app Pure Piano
by Jonky Ponky - 04/19/21 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,404
Posts3,084,304
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission