2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (aphexdisklavier, aesop, anotherscott, 8ude, avss01, agent8698, 20 invisible), 513 guests, and 571 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I recently upgraded my iPad mini 2 to a iPad pro. Unfortunately, I experience some issues with MIDI output and the iPad pro. It seems that the MIDI output is inconsistent, whenever I test the MIDI output in MIDI apps such as midi wrench/synthesia it will only send few sounds/notes to my digital piano. MIDI input works just fine, the various apps recognize the keys I play on the piano but does not consistently recognize the keys input send from iPad to Piano.

I use the following devices:
- Yamaha YDP 163 digital piano
- iPad Pro (2020) 11 inch.
- Regular USB-B to USB-C cable.

I tried the following to troubleshoot:
1. Connected Iphone 11 Pro via USB-B to USB-A with a lightning adapter. [works with the yamaha control app, probably also with synthesia if it was available]
2. Connected to a Samsung A52 via USB-B to USB-C [Works with synthesia, both output and input]. (Same cable as the iPad pro)
3. Connected to a iPad pro (2020) via USB-B to USB-C [Only input works, output is inconsistent and only a few notes go through from synthesia to the piano]
4. Connected to a iPad pro (2020) via USB-B to USB-A with a USB-A to USB-C adapter [Only input works, output is inconsistent and only a few notes go through from synthesia to the piano].
5. Contacted Apple support. According to them it was an issue on the app side and recommended me to contact App support. (Apple support is useless when it comes to such specific issues).
6. Tried it with an iPad (2019) that still has lightning connection. No issues here. (IOS 14.2).

So it seems based on my troubleshoot that the issue is specifically related to the iPad pro (2020) in relation to the USB port. I tried factory resetting my iPad via both iTunes and internally but no success. I also posted this on the Synthesia forum. Unfortunately, Nicholas doesn't know how to fix this. (Probably not synthesia related anyways).

Is this because of an issue with all iPad pro's or do I have a defect iPad?

Does anyone know how I can fix this or has a workaround so I can still have midi output consistently?

Anyone else with the same issue perhaps?

B
B
Hi,

What brand is the USB-A to USB-C adapter? I know that its recommended to use Apple original but doesn’t really seems like it should matter but you never know. How you tried different adapters?

A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the reply!

It is just a regular USB-B to USB-C cable, it works fine for any android device.
Also tried out a USB-A to USB-B cable (that works with lightning adapter for iPhone 11 pro and iPad 2019) with two different USB-A to USB-C adapters. Didn't work as well.
I don't think Apple even has a USB-B to USB-C cable?

Last edited by Almar; 01/18/21 06:38 AM.
B
B
The USB-A to USB-C adapter would be my first suspect here.

I’m using an iPad Pro 2020 but without adapter (usb-b to usb-c cable) and it works fine.

Since USB-C standard is a jungle I recommend that you try this without the 3rd party adapter and use e usb-b to usb-c cable or try using a Apple usb-a to usb-c adapter or try a different high quality adapter. But try Apple is my advice.

A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I tried both USB-B to USB-C Cable without any adapter and a USB-B to USB-A with a USB-A to USB-C adapter also does not work.

I ordered the USB-A to USB-C adapter from Apple, lets see if that works should receive it tomorrow, wil keep you updated. Which piano do you have? Also which brand USB-B to C cable do you use or just a random one?

Last edited by Almar; 01/18/21 07:37 AM.
B
B
I hope it will work out tomorrow and keep me posted smile

I have a Yamaha p-515. The brand of the cables is just some random bought from Amazon. It wasn’t the cheapest but not expensive at all.

A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Just received the adapter after a delay. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work. Does seem that more notes go through now though but still not everything.

used the same USB-A to USB-B cable I used for my iPad mini 2 with the lightning adapter so I doubt it has anything to do with the cable since the cable works just fine with lightning adapter.

Last edited by Almar; 01/21/21 08:57 AM.
B
B
Weird.. maybe talk to Yamaha about this?

A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
According to Yamaha it is an issue with ios 14.2 but I have ios 14.3 now and it still persists. It is really weird because MIDI input works perfectly and MIDI output inconsistently, you'd say that if something was wrong it wouldn't work at all. There is an issue with the iPad sending data to my piano consistently and I have no idea what causes this.

I had no doubt that the problem was with iPad. iOS and iPadOS are terribly buggy systems, so I only use my iPad Pro 12.9" for forScore app and other not-so-important things, and only my PC for the rest of my serious work. Moreover, forScore application to some extent also suffered from system bug in iPadOS (https://forscore.co/crashes/). And it still hasn't been fixed! Apple does not fix many bugs for a very long time.

A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That is disconcerting.. Weird that it does work for Boboulus though.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I just tried both with a USB C to USB B cable and with a USB C hub with no issue in each case.
Roland piano + ipad pro 11 (2018) on iPadOS 14.3
I tested it on Korg Module.
Must be a Synthesia issue with the USB C port...
Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue nor a OS issue

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It doesn't work for any MIDI app. Tried it with Synthesia, Yamaha control app and MIDIwrench. really weird either it has something to do with the digital piano brand/type or faulty ipad or maybe it's related to the 2020 version but seems unlikely to me since they're so similar.

Last edited by Almar; 01/21/21 01:09 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Almar
It doesn't work for any MIDI app. Tried it with Synthesia, Yamaha control app and MIDIwrench. really weird either it has something to do with the digital piano brand/type or faulty ipad or maybe it's related to the 2020 version but seems unlikely to me since they're so similar.
no, they are basically the same iPad... But I have a doubt looking at Synthesia settings, what do you mean by midi output? you playing with your piano and notes registering? When someone says midi output it generally always means from the instrument. Synthesia settings use the opposite terminology, taking the app as the starting point, so calling this input... If so I haven't tested that playing a song from the Software to the piano (what would be the point of that by the way?)

Roland FP-4F, Korg Kross 61, iRig Keys Pro, HD58X, HD598, Focal Spirit Pro, Shure SRH240A, RME Babyface, M-Track Plus, Roland DuoCapture, Presonus Eris E5, iLoud micro monitors, iPad Pro, HP Elite X2, Ivory II ACD, Korg Module for iPad, Garrital CFX full, Vienna Imperial, Ravenscroft, Kawai-Ex Pro
A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
MIDI output from the iPad's perspective. So in this case, when the iPad sends data to the piano. So e.g. when I am playing in synthesia and using my right hand while Synthesia plays left hand the iPad sends those notes to the piano, this is where the issue occurs. The piano skips many notes only a few go through, you can try this in MIDIwrench by pressing the keys in the app and see if the piano makes any sound.

Data from the piano to the Ipad works just fine it consistently registers the keys I press without any issues.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Almar
MIDI output from the iPad's perspective. So in this case, when the iPad sends data to the piano. So e.g. when I am playing in synthesia and using my right hand while Synthesia plays left hand the iPad sends those notes to the piano, this is where the issue occurs. The piano skips many notes only a few go through, you can try this in MIDIwrench by pressing the keys in the app and see if the piano makes any sound.

Data from the piano to the Ipad works just fine it consistently registers the keys I press without any issues.

mmm, that's a very specific use case of Synthesia... So the left hand played automatically by Synthesia skips notes. I did not test that... How about sound? Is Synthesia that generates it or can you hook some other virtual piano to Synthesia? Also how about sound output, do you use the iPad speakers? iPad 11 has no headphone jack so the only way to use external speakers or headphones is to use some USB sound card or adapter via a hub....

A
Almar Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It is a fun way to learn left/right hand of a song without it sounding boring, makes it sound like the full song already while practising one hand.

When I use the virtual piano on Synthesia it works perfectly but then the sound comes out of the iPad instead of the Piano. (In this case it does not send the midi data to the piano since the midi output is set to the virtual piano). For sound I use the digital piano, so the internal speakers of the yamaha YDP-163. Same thing happens in the app MIDIwrench (app for testing MIDI connection) there is a virtual piano that sends data to the digital piano whenever you press a key there, it doesn't register most of the keys pressed in the app (Digital piano plays some notes but not all) but it does see the notes I press on the yamaha ydp-163.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fridolin Schimmel F121T
by Lokey21 - 03/05/21 05:34 PM
practice piano device sugguestion?
by MrIDK - 03/05/21 03:25 PM
NY Times article on Blind Tom
by pianoloverus - 03/05/21 02:35 PM
Sound Magic Releases Nameless Grand
by kevin5540 - 03/05/21 02:20 PM
ES110 auto power off
by FinnP - 03/05/21 12:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,408
Posts3,067,011
Members100,724
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission