2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (antune, Animisha, Boboulus, accordeur, anotherscott, Abdol, Alex C, astrotoy, 22 invisible), 573 guests, and 444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 39 of 47 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 46 47
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by _sem_
Originally Posted by Beansparrow
As a long time ES8 user, the thump is over exaggerated. It's not much different from any other DPs in normal play.

As with any online "influencer" reviews, good idea to take a step back and think, why is the P515's flaws not highlighted as much? Does the reviewer have any agenda?

I think he is just being subjective, like everyone else. Well, has a certain agenda of promoting his personal opinions and making lots of money from YT wink
I liked the ES8 keys more than P515, probably because the P515 feels "crusty" when pushing down and my old AU doesn't. But I didn't pick the ES8 precisely because I was bothered by this nervous bouncing (which happened to be less bothersome in the RHIII CN39). Though I must acknowledge that it only happens when releasing the key, not while pushing it, so it shouldn't be bothersome if one just learns to ignore it. I guess it is likely an issue of the thickness/material of one or two damper strips.

Based on some open photo shots of the action, I believe they're using a low durometer silicone to dampen the up-stroke, This is what's causing the bounce.

There are 2 ways to stop the bounce. Have more friction at the joint OR have a larger mating surface between the key and the dampening stripe.

Without new molds/ redesigning. I think what they can do is find somewhere to shim more silicone against the key, and use a higher viscosity lubricant in the joint.

M
M
Has anyone of you had the chance to play-test the ES520, by the way? How would you describe the Responsive Hammer Compact II action?

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
P
P
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I noticed in the ES920 they added Cabinet Resonance (until now this was only in the CN/CA series), Hammer Noise and Low Volume Balance parameters. That's nice.

I also see this mentioned in the manual, but not on the Kawai website. Maybe the website is inaccurate? It shows the resonance and piano adjustment is the same between the two models, which is disappointing. Am I missing something?

Last edited by Patient player; 01/14/21 12:39 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Patient player
I also see this mentioned in the manual, but not on the Kawai website. Maybe the website is inaccurate?

Yes, unfortunately it appears that the Kawai America site is not 100% correct.
Please use the Kawai Global website for the time being.
I'll ask my colleagues in the US to update the ES920 specs accordingly.

Originally Posted by Patient player
It shows the resonance and piano adjustment is the same between the two models, which is disappointing. Am I missing something?

The ES920 has more resonance features and piano adjustment settings than the ES520. Please refer to this comparison chart.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
M
For the ES 920, I am looking to get a pair or Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. They come in a choice of 32, 80 or 250 ohm models. Without adding a headphone amp and plugging directly into the keyboard, which model should I get?
Thanks for the input.

Steinway M, Roland HP704, Kawai ES 920, Yamaha Reface CP, Casio Tone LK-S250, Pianoteq
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mobert
For the ES 920, I am looking to get a pair or Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. They come in a choice of 32, 80 or 250 ohm models. Without adding a headphone amp and plugging directly into the keyboard, which model should I get?
Thanks for the input.
See my reply in the owner's club thread.

A
A

M
M
Thanks, Adem!

I especially recommend watching the few seconds from 4:30 and from 5:50. :-)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
46 minutes of BS? No thanks.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Online Content
Not one of JPS's better reviews, IMHO. His obvious disgust with the all-plastic nature of the ES920 seemed to color his opinion of all other aspects of the instrument.

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
D
D
Originally Posted by Adem

he's tiring me with his fast speaking, but best is at 30:26 : other problem, noisy action, "They bounce"

hey dude, have you ever played an acoustic grand piano ?
they all do bounce ha

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by doudou
he's tiring me with his fast speaking, but best is at 30:26 : other problem, noisy action, "They bounce"

they all do bounce ha

Yeah, I've never gotten the "they bounce" criticism. When I watch a dp video review, I look *for* a bounce - because as you point out, that' s what the keys on my acoustic grand do!

_
_
he's tiring me with his fast speaking,
Indeed smile
And the disgust with plastic overwhelmed his senses so much that he didn't even notice it was 5kg lighter on account of it.

but best is at 30:26 : other problem, noisy action, "They bounce"

they all do bounce ha

Well they do but to different degrees. I did find this disturbing with the ES8 because my AP doesn't do it (much). The P515 almost doesn't, the FP90 does it much less, even the RHIII CN39 next to the ES8 in that store didn't do it annoyingly. Though in fact it doesn't happen when playing a key, only when releasing it abruptly (P515 top-stiffness bothers me more).

L
L
Originally Posted by SeaDrive
Not one of JPS's better reviews, IMHO. His obvious disgust with the all-plastic nature of the ES920 seemed to color his opinion of all other aspects of the instrument.

I agree with him though. The ES920 feels cheap, while the ES8 feels like it should cost more than it does. The metal case makes it feel super high end, and sure, its heavy, but its worth it IMO for the super great construction. I played an ES920 in a store a couple days ago and it's bordering on crap, the instrument has more in common with the ES110 than the ES8. The build quality feels like a cheap generic toy.

they all do bounce ha

I've played quite a few different acoustic pianos throughout the years, and a lot of digitals. I also noticed that bounciness of the keys when they came back up (the speakers were off for some reason when I first sat down to play) and have never seen an acoustic piano or digital piano that does it like that. Share your videos of acoustic pianos or other digital pianos that bounce like that, I'd love to see.

P
P
A year ago, I was anticipating announcement of the ES8 successor. Didn't happen until much later in the year and I don't think they will be generally available here until next month. I'm disappointed in the specific plastic choice. It could have been sturdier plastic, but my new DP will never move so durability should be fine. I just don't care about the weight (which clearly takes me out of the target market but I need a new slab with speakers under 2k and I don't like the Roland or Yamaha (modulo the Bosendorfer sample). Even though I will use headphones most of the time, I need the speakers.

I really wish Kawai would address the noise/bounciness of an otherwise great keyboard. I mean an all out engineering effort to make the RH IV action the best in the industry by all criteria. The bounce doesn't bother me when playing but I don't accept that it is a necessary side-effect of a such a playable keyboard, just of the specific design. It's NAMM week again so I'll be looking for alternatives for my short list. Any rumors?

Last edited by Pacific42; 01/18/21 02:08 PM.
F
F
[Linked Image]

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

He really sang high praises for the manual. Kawai James, congratulations!!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
A
A
I generally like JPS' reviews. He's thorough, independent and honest. The so-called reviews by the various retailers are sales-led, and essentially no more than product placement adverts.
That said, the one glaring and obvious omission from the JPS review was the weight. For a portable piano of this quality, it's weight is very practical and therefore among best in class. If it's build from metal, it's unsurprisingly going to be HEAVY. This is important for many people, myself included, who have to regularly move our pianos due to living arrangements. If I didn't have to do this, I wouldn't buy a portable piano. I agree that a metal piano would feel more robust and I agree it would look better, but the plastic (i.e light weight) is very helpful. Any talk of it feeling cheap or toylike is a great exaggeration though - I agree with JPS, it's perfectly acceptable.
Also agree with him about the bounce back - it doesn't affect the playing, so it definitely shouldn't put anyone off buying it. But it would be better if it was quieter.
I think I was watching a different review to some, as it was generally positive and it's clear he loves the tones and overall sees the ES920 as among best in class.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by _sem_
...even the RHIII CN39 next to the ES8 in that store didn't do it annoyingly.

I cannot think of a reason why the CN39's RHIII action should feel/play any differently to the ES8's RHIII action, other than one being a console DP and the other a portable DP.

Perhaps this was just a variance between the two units that you played?

Kind regards,
James
x

OP Offline
Originally Posted by littlefinger
I played an ES920 in a store a couple days ago and it's bordering on crap...

A little harsh, but oh well...you can't win them all.

James
x

Page 39 of 47 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 46 47

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thinking about Buying a used Steinway?
by astrotoy - 04/19/21 02:43 PM
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,152
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission