2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
65 members (Charles Cohen, antune, BlakeOR, Bill McKaig,RPT, 8ude, AlphaBravoCharlie, 17 invisible), 492 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
We're planning to move from IA to the St George UT area later this Summer. Moving our 1920 Steinway Model O will perhaps be the most critical aspect. She has moved it before with a company that specializes in packing and crating grand pianos but this will be a much longer distance so we'll need to make arrangements with a company on the other side when the time comes.

I'd be interested to learn about your experiences with moving valuable instruments like this and any recommendations on finding expert handlers in our target area might be especially helpful.

E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I suggest you call Walter Piano Transport, (I have no affiliation with them beyond using their services many times), 1-574-9045.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
P
P
I bought my 1893 Steinway model A in Detroit, moved it to Toledo, then Germany, where it was rebuilt. Back to California, then Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Texas, California and finally West Virginia. Moving was done by military hired commercial moving companies, which moved my entire household.

When in Germany I lived in a fourth floor apartment, piano went up and down 4 times. The last time a stout German mover put it on a piano board, put straps around it, single handedly lifted up with straps over his shoulders and walked it down four flights of stairs!

My opinion, it is not really hard to move. With a good piano board (most moving companies have one) and padding blankets it just takes a couple of strong men to move it. The piano stores well on the piano board.

Explain to the movers how valuable the piano is to you, watch them like a hawk, be nice but assertive. A reputable moving company knows how to move pianos.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I would think that the distance is not critical as nothing should happen in the truck. The (un)packing is the critical action.

So why not take the one you have good experiences with?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
If you're doing any of the moving yourself, you could hire the same craters/movers that you mention you liked to crate it and load it on a uhaul trailer or truck and drive it yourself. On the other end talk to some local piano shops for the name of the mover they use and have them unload and uncrate it in your house. The place I bought my piano has their own movers, you might find a store like that. I think the risky part of any move is when the piano goes out of your sight. If you move it yourself you would have complete control over everything that happens.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Panama
I bought my 1893 Steinway model A in Detroit, moved it to Toledo, then Germany, where it was rebuilt. Back to California, then Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Texas, California and finally West Virginia. Moving was done by military hired commercial moving companies, which moved my entire household.

When in Germany I lived in a fourth floor apartment, piano went up and down 4 times. The last time a stout German mover put it on a piano board, put straps around it, single handedly lifted up with straps over his shoulders and walked it down four flights of stairs!

My opinion, it is not really hard to move. With a good piano board (most moving companies have one) and padding blankets it just takes a couple of strong men to move it. The piano stores well on the piano board.

Explain to the movers how valuable the piano is to you, watch them like a hawk, be nice but assertive. A reputable moving company knows how to move pianos.

Cool story, Panama!

I worked with a piano tuner when I was a kid in Stuttgart, and we served the DoD community there. His day job was breakfast and lunch at one of the dining facilities, and I'd help him in the afternoons and weekends.

Where were you stationed in Germany?

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
P
P
Goeppingen, half way between Stuttgart and Neu Ulm, 50Km east of Stuttgart, 1984-87.

I knew Stuttgart well, “Lost bigger than Stuttgart” long before GPS.

Fond memories.

Online Content
Walter Piano is excellent and well priced but slow. If you are in a hurry there other movers who may be faster at much higher prices.

5000 Post Club Member

5000 Post Club Member
Goeppingen, half way between Stuttgart and Neu Ulm, 50Km east of Stuttgart, 1984-87.

I knew Stuttgart well, “Lost bigger than Stuttgart” long before GPS.

Small world! I went to Stuttgart American High School with kids from Göppingen!

Fond memories.

Me too. thumb

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Advice on a 1977 Yamaha M1AFX
by RamziKeys - 03/04/21 11:21 AM
Suggestions for specific shoulder pain, LH opened voicing
by Mason&Hamlin57 - 03/04/21 11:05 AM
Two Treble Clefs at Sheet Music of Forrest Gump Theme
by Bavaria Tom - 03/04/21 06:35 AM
Franck Prelude Fugue and Variations op 18
by ZigZagStory - 03/04/21 03:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,389
Posts3,066,677
Members100,711
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission