2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, andrea monza, AndyOnThePiano, CaseyVancouver, c++, Boboulus, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 604 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
R
OP Offline
R
To the moderators- would you please remove my double post. Thanks!

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, unfortunately I have decided to return my ES920.

The sound system (speakers and headphones) has just not lived up to my expectations.

I had expected better than the ES8 that I previously owned and absolutely loved.

Part of the reason for this might be that my memory of the ES8 might be a bit enhanced from the reality of what it actually was and also I owned the MP11SE and sound system in that (beautiful) was going to be hard to follow.

I could have lived with it because I had it close to what I wanted but every now and again I would hear a sound that reminded me that it was not there yet.

I like soft and clear (solid) but that eluded me just a bit.

I absolutely love the action on the ES920 and considered keeping it and just running Pianoteq with it.

I tried doing that and rerouting the sound back through the ES920 but that did not suit me either.

I could have just used my external speakers (focals) but the main reason I sold my MP11SE and went for the ES920 was to get the internal speaker system which I anticipated was going to be great.

So .... anyway .... In the end, the only decision that feels right to me is to return it.

Fedex picks it up Monday morning.

Done

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
D
D
Originally Posted by J-Corgi77
I agree though, not enough people have talked about the Rhythm feature. It is AWESOME and under-rated. It was definitely on my must haves. The older FP60 and FP90s have it, but the new Roland FP-X series that just came out removed the rhythms as i think Roland wanted people to access rhythms through apps instead. I didn't like that. So i'm SO happy to see Kawai kept this...and on top of that, the intelligent accompaniment is actually quite good! It's quite smart as i've tested several styles of music and it kept up, whether 1 finger mode or auto chords. I've had a ton of fun with it so far.

I've ordered the ES920 not for its auto-accompaniment features (I prefer to play myself the accompaniment), but for the best possible actual slab piano with speakers, in order to replace the MP11.
For me 920 is better than 520 because of RHIII keybed, and better acoustic piano sounds (Hi-XL, instead of PHI)

Originally Posted by J-Corgi77
Roland still has better EPs and Pads and Synths, but that's what they're known for anyway.

Well I prefered the MP11's EPs than Roland DPs ones. Also very good pads on the Kawai, but no synths. For the synth/pad domain, I have some toys to play with.

M
M
I am looking to get a pair or Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. (I need closed isolating headphones). They come in a choice of 32, 80 or 250 ohm models. Without adding a headphone amp and plugging directly into the ES 920 keyboard, which model should I get?
Thanks for the input. I have tried a pair or Sennheiser HD600 at 300 ohms and I found the volume and detail too low compared to when I use an amp. When I push the four equalizer sliders all the way up, it helped but hoping Beyerdynamic might sound better. So which headphones to get?

Steinway M, Roland HP704, Kawai ES 920, Yamaha Reface CP, Casio Tone LK-S250, Pianoteq
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by dmd

Done

Hi, Don. So... what now? Just curious.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Mobert -
To be absolutely "safe" you'd want to get the 32 ohm model. These are the easiest to drive and can, for example, be used with a laptop or phone. So the ES920 will have no problem providing the volume you want.

I think there's pretty universal agreement that the 80 ohm version sounds better than the 32 ohm. Plus, the 80 ohm has the soft velour earpads, while I believe the 32 ohm has "leather" earpads. (I like the velour pads on my DT990's, but some folks prefer the other pads.)

Bottom line, imo: Get the 32 ohm if you want to be certain they'll have sufficient output. Get the 80 ohm if you can easily return them if the output isn't enough for you.

PS: Both per Beyer's spec and user reports, the 32 ohm has better isolation than the 80 and 250 - if maximum isolation is important.

P
P
Originally Posted by dmd

The sound system (speakers and headphones) has just not lived up to my expectations.

I had expected better than the ES8 that I previously owned and absolutely loved.

Part of the reason for this might be that my memory of the ES8 might be a bit enhanced from the reality of what it actually was and also I owned the MP11SE and sound system in that (beautiful) was going to be hard to follow.

I could have lived with it because I had it close to what I wanted but every now and again I would hear a sound that reminded me that it was not there yet.

I absolutely love the action on the ES920 and considered keeping it and just running Pianoteq with it.

I tried doing that and rerouting the sound back through the ES920 but that did not suit me either.

I could have just used my external speakers (focals) but the main reason I sold my MP11SE and went for the ES920 was to get the internal speaker system which I anticipated was going to be great.

So .... anyway .... In the end, the only decision that feels right to me is to return it.

Done

Wow, sorry to hear that. I find the speakers amazing, they could rock my house!

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by dmd
Keep the forum up to date on the comparison with your next model.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Originally Posted by dmd

I am using my Casio PX-S1000 that was just going to be an interim piano while I waited for the ES920.

I indicated in a previous post (maybe in another thread) that I enjoyed everything (internal speakers, sound tone and key action) about the PX-S1000 except that it was a bit difficult to press down the keys near the back of them.

I still feel that way and now that the ES920 has disappointed me I think I will just stay with the PX-S1000 for a bit (cheaper too) and see what jumps up on the piano horizon.

So .... I am good for now.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
_
_
Originally Posted by Mobert
I am looking to get a pair or Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros. (I need closed isolating headphones). They come in a choice of 32, 80 or 250 ohm models. Without adding a headphone amp and plugging directly into the ES 920 keyboard, which model should I get?
Thanks for the input. I have tried a pair or Sennheiser HD600 at 300 ohms and I found the volume and detail too low compared to when I use an amp. When I push the four equalizer sliders all the way up, it helped but hoping Beyerdynamic might sound better. So which headphones to get?

https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en-us/articles/202503041-Which-DT-770-for-which-source-

I think this is a tricky question, we don't know what works well with the built-in phones amp.
It appears that 80 ohm are made for louder volumes in studio.
With 250 ohm it is likely that you might want more volume (voltage restriction).
With 32 ohm you don't need to worry about volume; but low-ohm headphones don't seem to work well with the FP90 regarding the sound quality.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250-ohm-32-ohm-or-80-ohms.646368/

Favor request - can a ES520 owner post the measurement from the bottom of the unit or stand to the top of the white keys? Either inches or cm is fine (I can convert).

I plan on building a keyboard stand, though it might be a month or more before I take delivery due to delayed availability. I would like it to be the same height as my acoustic.

Thanks in advance for this request.

F
F
Headphones- I've been mostly using a pair of Sennheiser HD26s, 100 ohms, with the volume slider very low. Also popped in Neumann NDH20s for a minute, which are 150 ohms, and I don't think I moved the slider very much. The output for the ES920 seems to be pretty hot, so I'd stick with the 80 at minimum if you have the choice.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TBell
Favor request - can a ES520 owner post the measurement from the bottom of the unit or stand to the top of the white keys? Either inches or cm is fine (I can convert).

Do these images help?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://www.kawai-global.com/product/es520/#t032

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
No, because the back of the piano is higher than the key tops. Thanks for the effort.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by doudou
I've ordered the ES920 not for its auto-accompaniment features (I prefer to play myself the accompaniment), but for the best possible actual slab piano with speakers, in order to replace the MP11.

That is basically the reason for my purchase of the ES920 and it did not work out for me.

It will be interesting to hear from you on your experience with this.

Don

P
P
Originally Posted by TBell
No, because the back of the piano is higher than the key tops. Thanks for the effort.

I would also like the measurement from the bottom to the top of the keys. It will replace my Kurzweil which is 2 7/8" and sits on a desk so I will not be able to adjust the ES920 down. I may have to get higher chair.

Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by jeffcat
Originally Posted by dmd

I am using my Casio PX-S1000 that was just going to be an interim piano while I waited for the ES920.

I indicated in a previous post (maybe in another thread) that I enjoyed everything (internal speakers, sound tone and key action) about the PX-S1000 except that it was a bit difficult to press down the keys near the back of them.

I still feel that way and now that the ES920 has disappointed me I think I will just stay with the PX-S1000 for a bit (cheaper too) and see what jumps up on the piano horizon.

So .... I am good for now.

And I thought that *I* was the only weird person on this forum who really liked the sound and feel of the PX-Sxxxx. Nice to know that I have some company. I use mine just straight-up as a piano and love the speakers and the touch of the keys. NO VSTs, just the GrPianoConcert mode and most settings set to factory default.

With all the hype about the new Kawai keyboards I was starting to 2nd-guess my decision to buy the Casio, but I just have not found a reason to 'upgrade' to a more expensive keyboard when I am extremely happy with what I have. Every time I power it on it puts a smile on my face!

Last edited by trooplewis; 01/18/21 01:58 PM.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
M
M
Thank you those that helped with my headphone decision. I have adjusted the headphone type and output in the menu settings of the ES 920 and now the 300 ohm Seinheiser HD 600 sounds great without pushing the gains all the way up. I am going to order the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro in the 80 ohm model since I am not a fan of the curly cord on the 250 ohm model.

Last edited by Mobert; 01/18/21 05:26 PM.

Steinway M, Roland HP704, Kawai ES 920, Yamaha Reface CP, Casio Tone LK-S250, Pianoteq
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Mobert
I recently got the Beyerdynamic 990 (open back), 32 ohm, and I'm guessing you'd have enough power to drive the 80 ohm. The output of the ES920 is much hotter than my laptop, my tv, my phone.

Personally though I'd get the 32 ohm. I've discovered that there's a whole life in the soundtrack to many tv shows/movies that I just didn't know existed, and with the great sounding 990s I'm able to visit that rich world.

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by dmd

Done

Don,
What headphones are you using? You found some that sounded good with the MP11SE? I would think that if they sounded good with that board they'd also sound good with the es920. I would find it hard to believe that the improved sound engine on the MP11SE would deliver a huge difference.

After my new Beyerdynamic 990s open back headphones had burned in, I could hear a clear difference between the headphones, which had that soft and clear sound which I also prefer, and the output from the speakers. The headphones delivered a sound more like the Warm Grand, the speakers more like a blend of the SK and Pop Grand. While I like the SK, I can't stand the Pop Grand.

So saying, I'm surprised you didn't get close to the same quality of sound from the headphone output of the es920 as you did from the MP11SE.

Are you a straight up piano player, no forays into enhancing the sound for different pieces?

Last night I experimented with using the Warm Grand as the starting point for layering, and overall was looking for a warm and sweeping sound. In all cases the Warm Grand stayed at full volume.
Registration 1: Warm Grand / String Ensemble (volume=2, Oct=-1)
Reg 2: SK-5 / Warm Grand (Octave=+1)
Reg 3: Upright Piano (Volume =3)/ Warm Grand
Reg 4: Warm Grand / Warm Grand (Oct=-1, Vol=4)

I also threw in heaping teaspoons of Damper Resonance on some of them, going as high as 8, for some tinkly goodness in the treble regions.

After these slight alterations, I enjoyed the sound coming from the speakers!

I'd LOVE to hear this board thru Focal monitors! Which do you have?

Randy
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing by ear v Reading sheet music
by LarryShone - 04/17/21 04:20 PM
Why do used Baldwins seemed to sell for less than...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 04:00 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 03:57 PM
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Pearl River GP160 for intermediate player
by PoleStar - 04/17/21 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,354
Posts3,083,544
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission