2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (camperbc, chopinetto, anotherscott, bilb, c++, Blague, brdwyguy, Andrew_G, 9 invisible), 454 guests, and 363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thanks for the info about the HP601. It's too bad I can't seem to find it for sale these days, at first listen the upper register definitely sounds better.

Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra

whitepianos.blogspot.com
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
At last! It looks like Roland are learning. People who play pianos are "musicians" not computer operatives!

There actually appears to be provision for a music stand. Can you imagine that? Roland fans treated like musicians now? A first!

One big top quality feature on the FP90X, and that is no protruding extraneous knobs, switches or so-called "joysticks! YES! You can load this into the back of a Trannie (er, that's a commonly used van, in Europe, full name, "Ford Transit", in case you don't know) and nobody is going to slide a huge great amp onto it and smash the knobs off.

Finally, an important matter that probably goes totally ignored by most, but is a huge boon to the audience.

The Roland name and "Big R" motif is subdued! It doesn't glare harshly from the stage forcing you to, if you remember, plaster black tape all over it. So now they can see you are playing a Roland and you can rest assured their eyes are not assaulted by your favourite manufacturer.

Those are three big bonuses for me.

They have bothered me, for decades!

Thanks Roland. Now... to find a dealer who has stock. No small matter in itself.

Slight minuses? Fewer voices than some other stage pianos, not a problem if the new ones are top quality, and no "midi thru". Small losses though.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hasn't FP models always had music rests?

It's the RD series that's for those who play by ear.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo

Shouldn't that read "those who are forced to play by ear"?

You may well be right, I own 2 RD's and have never wanted the built in speakers before!

But I am tempted by this new FP, I must admit, especially if it is lighter than an RD700NX.

I have so many free standing music rests now it hardly matters to me anymore. I think that is "life experience".

I have actually been considering the Korg SV2, but this looks comparable. And it's a Roland.

Last edited by slipperykeys; 01/13/21 04:55 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Last edited by Frédéric L; 01/13/21 04:54 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I feel that when it comes to small cost items, it's a no brainer. Why not include a music rest, just because it's easy, and you gain more friends and gain fewer enemies.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01/13/21 05:47 PM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
But what if you like protruding knobs and buttons and sliders. Makes one feel powerful and in control.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by slipperykeys

Shouldn't that read "those who are forced to play by ear"?

You may well be right, I own 2 RD's and have never wanted the built in speakers before!

But I am tempted by this new FP, I must admit, especially if it is lighter than an RD700NX.

I have so many free standing music rests now it hardly matters to me anymore. I think that is "life experience".

I have actually been considering the Korg SV2, but this looks comparable. And it's a Roland.

I think the type of buyer the RD2000 is aimed at is someone who plans in advance: someone who likes to 'engine build' to generate more complex arrangements. They're probably quite skilled already, and are interested in production a bit too.
Perhaps more professional than amateur.

J
J
Hey everyone, I've been a long time Roland FP7 owner (13 years) and it's nice to see these keep evolving. But i noticed two huge features that used to be on the older FPs missing from these new ones! No more Rhythms and Intelligent Accompaniment on any of the new models, and not even on the new F-701, whereas the older F-140r had that awesome feature. The 2nd thing i noticed gone is Piano Partner 2 App support. Instead they list Piano Every Day. So...does anyone know if Roland is planning to discontinue Piano Partner 2? Is Piano Every Day better with the same functionality, like Piano Remote and maybe Roland ditched the onboard Rhythms because we can access Rhythm accompaniment through the app? On Roland's site, i find no info that Piano Every Day would even have rhythm accompaniment. On youtube videos, there's a small mention of some kind of piano remote control on the app, but nothing about actual drum patterns, or accessing other GM Midi sounds like we could on PIano Partner 2. Anyone have insight?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

What's the go with these videos? I'm pretty sure none of these retailers have any in stock - as in not even a demo at their building. Did Roland fly these guys to their building for the purpose of making these videos? I mean if they did that's cool, it just seems a little opaque to pretend otherwise. Is that just the normal done thing for retailer product videos?

Last edited by AndrewJCW; 01/13/21 06:34 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
One downside to this FP90X---which isn't a big downside---but whilst not really ugly, it's not stylish either: like an Audi.

M
M
Originally Posted by Doug M.
One downside to this FP90X---which isn't a big downside---but whilst not really ugly, it's not stylish either: like an Audi.

Well, "audi" is Latin for "listen!", so I'd say that's quite fitting. :-)

at home: Kawai MP11SE; Yamaha LG800; Yamaha HS7; Ultimate MS-100B; Sennheiser HD558 | office: MP7SE; K&M 18820; Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think all the home pianos have the sort of bland safe Volvo-ish look about them. I guess they are very conscious it should blend in in a "family" living room. While we love talking about them and buying them, the primary market for home pianos is still parents buying them for their kids to learn on I imagine.

I duno if Audi would be my first brand that comes to mind for bland but whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by AndrewJCW; 01/13/21 07:20 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
I duno if Audi would be my first brand that comes to mind for bland but whatever floats your boat.
Well the R8 is actually a Lamborghini underneath... All the other Audi models aren't special.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 320 years - help evangelize the magic!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
... whilst not really ugly, it's not stylish either ...
Yes the design is the standard Kubrick/Arthur C. Clark black slab. (I admit to enjoying the the minimalism of the buttons/controls.)

More importantly, Roland used the exact same design - so it's basically version 2.0, with updated bits inside. I have a feeling this FP-X (2.0) series will be pretty durable and reliable.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Listening to this demo of the FP90X, it sounds like they might have removed the SN EPs - correct? The FP90 got the SN EPs, I think. I'm not very familiar with the SN EPs, however I assume they don't have any looping, but I hear looping in this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9o_rq7qj14&t=223s (I don't hear looping artifacts, but I hear the LACK of a natural decay)

Greg

Last edited by sullivang; 01/17/21 01:25 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sullivang
Listening to this demo of the FP90X, it sounds like they might have removed the SN EPs - correct? The FP90 got the SN EPs, I think. I'm not very familiar with the SN EPs, however I assume they don't have any looping, but I hear looping in this demo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9o_rq7qj14&t=223s (I don't hear looping artifacts, but I hear the LACK of a natural decay)

Greg

Don't know Greg, but these sound exactly like the EP's I played on the RD2000. I think the modelling for EPs is likely to be on the effects, amp sims etc., that would be my guess.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On
... whilst not really ugly, it's not stylish either ...
Yes the design is the standard Kubrick/Arthur C. Clark black slab. (I admit to enjoying the the minimalism of the buttons/controls.)

More importantly, Roland used the exact same design - so it's basically version 2.0, with updated bits inside. I have a feeling this FP-X (2.0) series will be pretty durable and reliable.

Yeah, this definitely feels like an update rather than an upgrade: same shell, same action, updated sound engine only. Could easily have been called FP90SE.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Burkey
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW
Well the R8 is actually a Lamborghini underneath... All the other Audi models aren't special.

LMAO, the Top Gear video on the Lamborghini (after Audi got involved) described it as Italian styling with German engineering, so I'd say Lambo's are Audi's underneath.

My dislike is the matt finish all plastic top with the sunk in switches---Germanic look perhaps, but looks naff. I feel that for a home portable, the Italian styling Physis design would be a better way of achieving a contemporary look for the home:

[Linked Image]

As pointed out though, it's how it sounds that really matters.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01/17/21 08:16 AM.

W
W
I’m guessing if you already own the fp90 then upgrading to the fp90x isn’t worth it?

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
1990 Bosendorfer 130 upright
by Martin Solo - 04/11/21 06:29 AM
Qualities Required for Piano
by Qazsedcft - 04/11/21 02:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,216
Posts3,081,045
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission