2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (1957, beeboss, CraiginNZ, brdwyguy, bluebilly, chopin_r_us, 10 invisible), 302 guests, and 503 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
A few of us are working on these inspired by CyberGene's DIY hybrid midi controller. Because what he built is so cool!

And I've been documenting my progress (or.... lack of progress!) on youtube. Its fun to get something working and then make a short video of it, and try to explain my thinking (haha, or... well, lack of thinking)

Just now I posted a video on the algorithm and thought maybe others would enjoy since my test system is able to capture and plot piano hammer dynamics. I find it interesting to see what hammers are doing.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
That's very cool and very interesting. It shows how the interaction between hammer and string is very hard to model and to convert into a single velocity number. Kudos for this work!!

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks!

Next up, I am building the printed circuit boards.

J
J
What are you doing to get your "hammer position" measurements in those graphs? I'm pretty sure there's some important nonlinearity between the phototransistor current and the distance. And depending on how you convert that current to a voltage, there might be more issues. All of that could easily make the velocity look more varying than it is.

(I keep meaning to set up a CNY70 and a reflective surface on some sort of linear stage and take a series of current readings at varying distance, to duplicate figure 9 of the data sheet.)

Those adapter boards like you show in video 2 make me nervous for digital parts. Getting decoupling caps in there nice and close ends up being more of a pain than soldering down the TQFP part.

Last edited by JayKominek; 01/19/21 12:28 AM.
S
OP Offline
S
Good point, I should have stated measurement of hammer plus measurement system!

I've debated including a calibration step. And, regarding the boards, yes, I have a custom PCB in progress.

We need a forum for - piano DIY / Maker / building your own electronics, software, hardware, instruments, etc smile

O
O
Hi,

Great video, but your Damper jack should be activated at Half of the Pressed key (1/2):

the Damper is up to early :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLuIYDJClsk

And the Hammer is to low :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hOnMcsUh_c&list=PLyhFrvLWlRkAhfIf0PaJ1l5fH7Qky-ZS9&index=22

your Hammer sample is not well regulated like a Grand Piano

Last edited by owfrappier; 01/20/21 03:49 AM.

O.F : Real GRAND Piano Schimmel / Roland HP 603 / and perhaps soon CA99 or N1X or NV10..... don't know smile

O
O
here better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkntn8PBYM

With a good regulated sample : simulation and measurements will be more like real Grand Piano behaviour

Last edited by owfrappier; 01/20/21 04:02 AM.

O.F : Real GRAND Piano Schimmel / Roland HP 603 / and perhaps soon CA99 or N1X or NV10..... don't know smile

O
O
And Damper action distance :

https://youtu.be/bDgpLYn9774?t=359

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
On the Cybrid I measure the velocity in the last 1.5mm of the hammer travel because the hammer flies freely there, the escapement is set at 1.5mm, so this guarantees that there won't be any unpredictable movement caused by your finger pushing the key up to the string and staying there which you show in your video. So, problem solved smile Make sure you regulate your action exactly according to standards: escapement 1-3mm, blow distance of 47mm, hammer drop same as escapement (measured further below the escapement point), check distance 15-17mm. And damper usually lifts off the string exactly at halfway through the key travel, hence also the hammer travel, so measuring if the hammer is above/below 24mm can provide indications of damper position too which is how Cybrid works, as well as NV10.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/20/21 05:33 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Originally Posted by stemPianist
We need a forum for - piano DIY / Maker / building your own electronics, software, hardware, instruments, etc smile

I vote for this!. A Telecommunications Engineer here with a 22 years on electronics R&D career (and programming since 1982). On 2012 I left R&D but no electronics, and in 2018 I began playing synths and piano, and also started fixing synths (for myself initially). So, yes, we need a DIY sub-forum!

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, keyboards and VSTs
D
D
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Originally Posted by stemPianist

I vote for this!. A Telecommunications Engineer here with a 22 years on electronics R&D career (and programming since 1982). On 2012 I left R&D but no electronics, and in 2018 I began playing synths and piano, and also started fixing synths (for myself initially). So, yes, we need a DIY sub-forum!

In case people here haven't seen Jay is way, way ahead with a project like this one. See https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Del Vento
In case people here haven't seen Jay is way, way ahead with a project like this one. See https://github.com/jkominek/piano-conversion

Haha..wait.. what? Is it a contest? This was supposed to be a fun little side hobby, now I am starting to feel stressed out.

Juuust joking smile The projects I have seen all are taking different approaches, including comparing my approach to the project you mention. Jay's project is cool! I am building just something for me.

And I think there are even more possible ways to approach this kind of a project too. And, other DIY style piano projects that are possible.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I feel really lucky that I created my project without having competition 😀 If there was even the slightest one, it would mean I abandon everything immediately. Especially in a field where I’m a complete noob and especially if it involves multiple fields where I’m a complete noob, such as in a DIY hybrid piano: electronics, machinery, piano regulation, woodworking, design, low level programming, etc. Looking at how pathetic Cybrid is compared to Jay’s project now, I’m certain I wouldn’t even have thought of starting such a project 🤣 And I worked for almost two years on it just because nobody else was interested, so I basically just did nothing for two years and most of my work was about resurrecting the sh1tty old action whereas everything else was probably worth it just two weeks of work... So lucky to be the first one 🤣 (and no, I’m not the first one either, but the other projects I’ve seen weren’t published or demoed extensively).

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/22/21 06:24 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Don't sell yourself short like that, Cybergene.

You're kind of like the George Dantzig of homebrew hybrids smile What you accomplished and built is beyond impressive!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
J
J
I finally got a CNY70 sensor hooked up to my action, and recorded some video of the oscilloscope displaying the output from the sensor.

Seems like a very nice signal to me.

(The fuzz is at ~120Hz, so it's probably related to power lines some how. Not too worried, I've got a bunch of long cables involved in this little experiment.)

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIY Piano Tuning on Yamaha U1 - Cyberhammer?
by pianofish - 03/06/21 05:08 AM
Bosendorfer releasing new 230VC model
by Sonepica - 03/05/21 11:44 PM
Steinway grand action spread dimension
by grandmaster - 03/05/21 11:31 PM
'91-92 Yamaha U3 and RH Questions
by TLBLibrarian - 03/05/21 10:32 PM
Portrait of Manet
by Dfrankjazz - 03/05/21 10:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics205,415
Posts3,067,134
Members100,727
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission