2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
60 members (CaseyVancouver, CyberGene, AcousticAndre, clothearednincompo, anotherscott, doctor S, David B, BlakeOR, 13 invisible), 566 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You're welcome, Sean. smile

For the record, the problem I see with most DIY advice on this Forum is not that people will stop hiring tuners and put their livelihood in danger. It is that it clutters things up so much. We have had many, many discussions on tuning hammer technique and there are finer points that have not been mentioned here. Hey, it's YOUR piano. Do with it what you choose. smile

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
G
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
G
What I do before tuning is first listen then hold down sustain pedal and do the Steve Brady forearm smash. It’s not really as hard as the PTG standard test blow.
It gives me a good picture of what I’m up against.
After tuning when I think I’m finished I do it again.
Touch up as required.
I like the technique because it gets the entire soundboard assembly moving and helps with rendering better than going after an individual note aggressively.

RPT
PTG Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gene Nelson
What I do before tuning is first listen then hold down sustain pedal and do the Steve Brady forearm smash. It’s not really as hard as the PTG standard test blow.
It gives me a good picture of what I’m up against.
After tuning when I think I’m finished I do it again.
Touch up as required.
I like the technique because it gets the entire soundboard assembly moving and helps with rendering better than going after an individual note aggressively.

If there's room, you could lift up under the keybed until it falls over on it's back. Just joking around, Gene. Happened to me by accident long, long ago. Sure makes a noise!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
G
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
G
Well the smash can be a bit startling 😊

RPT
PTG Member
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by RonTuner
"The points of friction I understand and have suspected, especially since the notes with that narrow, flat bar screwed down across them are the ones that go out; the tenor and bass strings never go out, and they don't have those extra friction points."

And there you go! More information - that the problem notes are only in the area with the pressure bar.
In all fairness, that is not more information, that is literally how all pianos function. Unless we are talking about a humidity issue, all pianos are more stable in the bass and tenor. The pressure bar may be out of range, and raising it could help, but you can test it before you go through the trouble. Put a half round between the bridge pins of a unison and observe how the tuning functions. The pressure bar won't be any obstacle in the slightest. If you change the pressure bar height, you have to lower the tension. The lowering of the tension results in a reset of the tuning system. Obviously, the tuning has to start anew. If you are not aware of this, then one would assume, naturally, that the adjustment of the pressure bar solved the problem. That's not the cause. The pressure bar may slightly contribute to the issue, but it won't be the main cause. Since the majority of techs never take time to feel what the system feels like without the bridge pins in the scenario, they make a lot of false assumptions about how much friction is present in these various bearing points.

Originally Posted by RonTuner
While I posted the link to the more commonly available CLP, the counter bearing lubricant from Jon Page that was also referenced is really the way to go for this specific situation. Hard to imagine any danger using it in this area of the piano in a controlled manner.
It is not hard to imagine the dangers of using a lubricant on a vibrating string. I am glad that OP has decided not to do this.

I tested this unfortunate procedure on a piano that was being trashed a long time ago. It doesn't matter where you the lubricate, it will migrate everywhere. Mario Igrec statement of "rubbing the strings with the lubricant felt wedge, against the bridge pins, but without touching the bridge," was ridiculous. Within seconds of playing, whatever is being used, will be on the bridge, on the back side of the bridge, in the hammers, on the action, on the soundboard, everywhere. In fact, I believe both Yamaha and Kawai in the USA had problems with a technician putting this kind of things on their pianos. It was a huge problem that messed up a lot of pianos. I believe lawsuits were in the works, but I never hear what the end result was. In any event, if piano manufactures don't lube their strings, and don't recommend the procedure, then there is a reason why.

Just because something seems to work, doesn't mean that it should be done. If it is a junk piano, the lub stuff may give it a few more years perhaps. But, it is not something that should be talked about as if it were a standard approach. Again, this is a palliative care measure. It is not something that should be openly promoted.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Sean, I don't usually give DIYs "How-to" advice because this Forum isn't a DIY Forum.
Sure it is. After all, tuners have to start somewhere in their learning process. And, this is one place that they go. In fact, many DIYers never even post here. Lots of people just read and try and figure things out on their own.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by piano411
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Sean, I don't usually give DIYs "How-to" advice because this Forum isn't a DIY Forum.
Sure it is. After all, tuners have to start somewhere in their learning process. And, this is one place that they go. In fact, many DIYers never even post here. Lots of people just read and try and figure things out on their own.

Here is the description of this forum: "Piano tuner-technicians, use this forum to discuss tuning, repairs, restorations, etc. Also, the place to post technical questions about the piano."

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
I suppose that description is open to a certain amount of interpretation.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pivot termination
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 04/19/21 01:45 PM
Numa Compact 2x VS Arturia Keylab Essential 88
by Violao - 04/19/21 01:14 PM
The Logo of the Future - Steingraeber
by Skjalg - 04/19/21 10:47 AM
Practuce With Czerny
by BbAltered - 04/19/21 10:05 AM
What to check when getting a new piano
by Dong Huynh - 04/19/21 05:13 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,397
Posts3,084,149
Members101,241
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission