2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
81 members (anotherscott, alexii, bob@pei, astrotoy, aomarzu, BillS728, Anglagard44, 20 invisible), 692 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3069193 01/14/21 10:03 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Something new:

Yamaha will be showcasing the YC73 and YC88 Stage Keyboards during NAMM’s virtual Believe in Music week starting January 21, 2021. The YC73 and YC88 combine great-feeling new keyboard actions with the soulful sounds, drawbar control, and gig-ready ease of use of the YC61 (introduced in January 2020). The YC73 features 73 weighted, balanced keys and is ideal for keyboardists who divide their playing between organ, piano, electric piano, clavi, synth, and other staple keyboard sounds. The YC88 is meant for musicians who prioritize the touch and response of an acoustic piano, offering 88 weighted Natural Wood keys with triple-sensor action, synthetic ebony and ivory key tops. Both add options alongside the semi-weighted “waterfall” action of the YC61 — the key shape preferred by organ players.

https://yamahamusicians.com/new-yamaha-yc88-and-yc73/

https://www.prweb.com/releases/yama...ages_for_all_musicians/prweb17648014.htm

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 01/14/21 10:09 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Interesting....

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So it’s an organ focused variant of the cp88 right?

Last edited by AndrewJCW; 01/14/21 10:59 PM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Yes, they seem very much like CP88 and CP73 with the addition of drawbar organ. The 73 looks like a nice alternative to the Nord Electro/Stage HP models with their TP100 actions.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AndrewJCW

+ a true FM engine. As much as organs and FM sound fantastic, the CFX sounds absolute crap. This piano just doesn't fit.

Last edited by Abdol; 01/14/21 11:40 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Abdol

+ a true FM engine. As much as organs and FM sound fantastic, the CFX sounds absolute crap. This piano just doesn't fit.

Given how bad the Acoustic Piano sounds are on the CP series, IMO, these are the stage instruments Yamaha fans should consider, as at least you get FM and usable organs.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01/15/21 05:16 AM.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
How bad are the CP-series piano sounds? Are they bad when used in a home context or as gigging stage instruments?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
How bad are the CP-series piano sounds? Are they bad when used in a home context or as gigging stage instruments?

When listened to with ears 😉.
They are probably fine when you can't hear the piano eg in a band with no sense of dynamic control and inadequate monitors.

I over exaggerate of course. Basically, the sound is not quite as good as the CP4, as no strings res.

I think also, the organs on the YC series are modelled.

Last edited by Doug M.; 01/15/21 05:59 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure this is as simple as it sounds. There are many wonderful and lush virtual pianos that sound great when you listen to them with headphones or on a good stereo system but fall short when used in a band context, not cutting through other instruments, when in mono or through a sub-optimal speaker system as in a club. And then there are some stage piano sounds that are not very good for classical/jazz solo piano recordings but have a good reputation for live situations, the Kurzweil Triple Strike piano coming to mind.

Last edited by CyberGene; 01/15/21 05:59 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure this is as simple as it sounds. There are many wonderful and lush virtual pianos that sound great when you listen to them with headphones or on a good stereo system but fall short when used in a band context, not cutting through other instruments, when in mono or through a sub-optimal speaker system as in a club. And then there are some stage piano sounds that are not very good for classical/jazz solo piano recordings but have a good reputation for live situations, the Kurzweil Triple Strike piano coming to mind.

Point is, the difference between the Yamaha stage models to me is that the YC series has credible organ noises, whereas the CP-series doesn't. I'm sure that the piano is fine for stage purposes on both series, definitely not for home use.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Marko in Boston
Interesting....

[Linked Image]

Yamaha really need to do something to make the various areas of the interface stand out don't they?!

M
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
I agree with you Doug. As you can see they "almost" made the various areas of the interface stand out on the CP88 with Yellow Piano, Red E.Piano, and Green Sub /other voices. Not so much on the YC

[Linked Image]

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A

They sound thin (and bright) compared to P515 and Kawai equivalents. Some old voices are because they are not 88 keys sampled. My humble guess is CFX is not 88 keys sampled voice (correct me if I'm wrong). CFX sounds thin and rings in the mids. Terrible lows (lacks volume and bass, and will sound boomy if you EQ).

Yamaha is making a statement. I guess it's preparing the market for its ultimate stage piano, with a price tag competing with Nord Stage. If Yamaha was going to announce a stage piano with all the bells and whistles and price it like Nord, it wasn't going to be welcomed by the community: the boiling frog theory.

So behold for a 5k Yamaha stage piano very soon.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
Yamaha really need to do something to make the various areas of the interface stand out don't they?!

One thing I really love to see is that these stage piano manufacturers recognize that we need to see the control surface in low light situations! Having some sort of phosphorescence material areas on the surface to separate things is really appreciated. Just like watch handles! It doesn't have to be super bright, just mildly so that we can see where them panels are!

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
As you can see they "almost" made the various areas of the interface stand out on the CP88 with Yellow Piano, Red E.Piano, and Green Sub /other voices. Not so much on the YC
You can see how that happened though... the functions of the yellow, red, and green buttons on the CP are, in fact, all handled by the one red button on the YC (in conjunction with the one extra toggle switch at the bottom of that section).

One thing I really love to see is that these stage piano manufacturers recognize that we need to see the control surface in low light situations!
Amen to that. One of my pet peeves, how bad so many designs are in non-ideal lighting conditions, as you often have on stage. Black controls on black backgrounds, unnecessarily reflective surfaces, legends with small print on a barely contrasting background color, adjacent buttons that run right into each other...

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I agree with you Doug. As you can see they "almost" made the various areas of the interface stand out on the CP88 with Yellow Piano, Red E.Piano, and Green Sub /other voices. Not so much on the YC

[Linked Image]

Yeah, I guess one could use enamel paint and take the initiative.

F
F

I don’t believe it’s a true FM engine. Not like the Yamaha MODX.
Anyway, that YC73 action is the same BHS as the CP73. Lots of complaints on that one.
The YC88 action, like the CP88, is top notch, similar to the Yamaha P-515.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Fleer

I don’t believe it’s a true FM engine. Not like the Yamaha MODX.
Anyway, that YC73 action is the same BHS as the CP73. Lots of complaints on that one.
The YC88 action, like the CP88, is top notch, similar to the Yamaha P-515.

It's not what we believe in, it is in the specs it says it has FM engine!

In 1983, Yamaha introduced the iconic sounds of FM (Frequency Modulation) synthesis to the world with the launch of the synthesizer DX7. Now YC brings FM synthesis to the organ for a new generation of players. Simply switch to FM Organ and your drawbars control 8 FM Operators that send a pure sound with massive low end. Add rotary speaker or amp sim effects for character and vibe. Intuitive controls make it easy to discover new sounds. Or recreate classic transistor organ tones from warm to reedy to buzzy by choosing one of three popular FM Organ modes.

So 8 FM operators.

The action is not the same as P-515. It's a synth-action NW-GH3, similar to CP88 (NW-GH).

The 3 here probably indicates that CP88 doesn't have 3 sensors but YC88 has 3 sensors. There is also the possibility that Yamaha has typos in their product pages. BUT as far as the information tells us, CP-88 has GH and YC88 has GH3.

Bad Mister has insisted that NW-GH has 3 sensors. Anyway, typical Yamaha. Always confusing and halfass product information.

A
A
Cp88 is clearly declared to have 3 sensors. Cp4 also had that 7 years ago. What yamaha does with naming their actions is beyond us all. Cp88 is cleaarly upgraded over cp4 (try to belive, me I did) as stated by badmister also. Yc88 could be the same exact as cp88 but marketed as "3" to assure organists its software works with the sensors to help when using organ sounds (just guessing)

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by A. Lucato
Cp88 is clearly declared to have 3 sensors. Cp4 also had that 7 years ago. What yamaha does with naming their actions is beyond us all. Cp88 is cleaarly upgraded over cp4 (try to belive, me I did) as stated by badmister also. Yc88 could be the same exact as cp88 but marketed as "3" to assure organists its software works with the sensors to help when using organ sounds (just guessing)

I know what Bad Mister has mentioned about NW-GH but I found both Bad Mister and the product pages sometimes not accurate or inconsistent. Officially, in the product pages, Yamaha claims that GH is 2 sensors and GH3 has 3 sensors.

They have not updated the product page for CP88 knowing there is confusion.

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/faq/pianos/GJC14031.html

And even worst it even says, NW is not in the lineup anymore!

What yamaha does with naming their actions is beyond us all.

It's not beyond us all. It's stupid and confusing. As an example, the difference between AWM and AWM2. Even Bad Mister couldn't answer this question accurately. He even confessed that it's not very clear. Obviously, he can't express himself the way I do.

Last edited by Abdol; 01/16/21 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,192
Posts3,193,871
Members105,345
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission