2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (Anglagard44, 8ude, AndrewJCW, akc42, Abdol, Animisha, anotherscott, aphexdisklavier, 36251, 22 invisible), 672 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do you create/imagine ‘stories’ for your pieces?
JB_PW #3068831 01/13/21 05:18 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by JB_PW
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If you or your teacher feel there's some emotion missing, I think you should discuss that and they should give you some specifics ideas on what to do.

This is input from two teachers in a row...it's not something I'm able to detect on my own (at least not yet). That makes it really frustrating and difficult to work on, and it's discouraging to be getting the same type of feedback for 2 years now. There must be some fundamental thing I'm missing. Hopefully one day the light bulb will come on. Yes, I'm sure we'll keep at it in my lessons...with every new piece I play, since they all seem to lack character. crazy

Lacking character is pretty vague. Since your teacher identified something is missing. They should also be able to tell you more precisely what is missing. Lack of dynamics, too metronomic, phrasing, .... iIs that not their job to teach how to play expressively ? If the solution is to to tell you to create a story and that should solve the issue is not going to help you much. You can post one of your recording if you wish more feedback from the forum. Take care.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
pianoloverus #3068832 01/13/21 05:19 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
My view is that just thinking about some emotion or memory or story has little to do with actually creating that in the music. To create a certain feeling takes skill, a lot of thought, technique, etc. The person playing the music might think their thoughts affected their playing but I think that's mostly just their imagination or, in the case of the part I quoted, the teacher's imagination.

So you are saying it takes a lot of thought...but not thinking about a specific image/emotion while playing? Maybe you mean thinking about how to phrase, how to shape the dynamics, etc? As an intermediate player who does not yet possess great skill/technique, I am trying to understand how I can go about putting more emotion/character into my performance. Based on feedback I have gotten from teachers, I don't believe I play mechanically...but there's obviously still something missing, and their suggestions so far haven't clicked. Or maybe I'm just not at a level where I can do it well yet.
If you or your teacher feel there's some emotion missing, I think you should discuss that and they should give you some specifics ideas on what to do. I definitely don't think that it's wrong to think about some emotion or picture or story when playing but I'm not convinced that really helps. But I could be completely wrong. I've seen many master classes where the teacher tries to get an idea across by using images or verbal descriptions of the character of a passage.

You have seen professional pianists, with the skills to teach a masterclass encourage imagery, but you are still convinced it may not really help? It seems like if they encourage it, they would have the background and history to come to a different conclusion: that they have seen to be effective.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
JB_PW #3068834 01/13/21 05:19 PM
J
JB_PW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Maybe I'm just being a dunce here. We've branched out to discuss dynamics in more detail, which I've already admitted I'm not doing well with. Maybe if I get that sorted out I won't be hearing so much that I'm missing the character.

That's interesting Chrispy...sometimes when I know a voice is supposed to represent a cello, I do try to think of that when I'm playing. Another good idea to add to the list.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
JB_PW #3068840 01/13/21 05:32 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If you or your teacher feel there's some emotion missing, I think you should discuss that and they should give you some specifics ideas on what to do.

This is input from two teachers in a row...it's not something I'm able to detect on my own (at least not yet). That makes it really frustrating and difficult to work on, and it's discouraging to be getting the same type of feedback for 2 years now. There must be some fundamental thing I'm missing. Hopefully one day the light bulb will come on. Yes, I'm sure we'll keep at it in my lessons...with every new piece I play, since they all seem to lack character. crazy
The teacher should do a lot more than just say your playing of a piece lacks character or emotion!

dogperson #3068842 01/13/21 05:39 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson
My view is that just thinking about some emotion or memory or story has little to do with actually creating that in the music. To create a certain feeling takes skill, a lot of thought, technique, etc. The person playing the music might think their thoughts affected their playing but I think that's mostly just their imagination or, in the case of the part I quoted, the teacher's imagination.

So you are saying it takes a lot of thought...but not thinking about a specific image/emotion while playing? Maybe you mean thinking about how to phrase, how to shape the dynamics, etc? As an intermediate player who does not yet possess great skill/technique, I am trying to understand how I can go about putting more emotion/character into my performance. Based on feedback I have gotten from teachers, I don't believe I play mechanically...but there's obviously still something missing, and their suggestions so far haven't clicked. Or maybe I'm just not at a level where I can do it well yet.
If you or your teacher feel there's some emotion missing, I think you should discuss that and they should give you some specifics ideas on what to do. I definitely don't think that it's wrong to think about some emotion or picture or story when playing but I'm not convinced that really helps. But I could be completely wrong. I've seen many master classes where the teacher tries to get an idea across by using images or verbal descriptions of the character of a passage.

You have seen professional pianists, with the skills to teach a masterclass encourage imagery, but you are still convinced it may not really help? It seems like if they encourage it, they would have the background and history to come to a different conclusion: that they have seen to be effective.
That still leaves the question of how or why it helps. For example, in the Beethoven Sonata example I mentioned earlier, how does knowing the opening phrase is "questioning" help make it sound questioning? What would someone do differently if one knew that vs. someone who didn't know that? The "questioning" is written into the music IMO. Same idea for the passage in Ravel's A Boat on the Ocean I mentioned. If one plays the passage in question as written in the dynamic written it will sound like the huge wave Trifonov mentioned.

dogperson #3068844 01/13/21 05:50 PM
@Keystring
My experience is ‘imagery/story’ vs ‘working on the nitty gritty’ is not an either one or the other. I initially work on the fine details of the music and then the imagery evolves the more in depth I have studied it. That’s just me.
No ideas given here should be taken as absolute or complete, and I did not intend mine to be. I wrote "personally I feel" regarding the nitty gritties. I also realize I was not that clear in what I meant by "nitty gritties" in that last paragraph. I think I can assume from your posts over the years that you know how to do things like play dynamics and probably various kinds of articulation. If you were not able to produce the dynamics you imagine in the "story" of the piece, then picturing the story won't help you much. Learning to produce the dynamics that give life to the imagined story will help you. Those are the nitty gritties I meant. The OP appears in part to be in that situation. I was once in that situation.

dogperson #3068845 01/13/21 05:54 PM
Do they know whether it is effective? Do they ever see the people they coach in the masterclass again, to find out?

JB_PW #3068848 01/13/21 05:55 PM
That's interesting Chrispy...sometimes when I know a voice is supposed to represent a cello, I do try to think of that when I'm playing. Another good idea to add to the list.
I have no idea how to make the piano sound like a cello. I don't even know how to make it sound like other instruments I play. The piano sort of sounds like .... erm .... a piano.

Sidokar #3068849 01/13/21 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Sidokar
Lacking character is pretty vague. Since your teacher identified something is missing. They should also be able to tell you more precisely what is missing. Lack of dynamics, too metronomic, phrasing, .... iIs that not their job to teach how to play expressively ? If the solution is to to tell you to create a story and that should solve the issue is not going to help you much. You can post one of your recording if you wish more feedback from the forum. Take care.
Agree.

keystring #3068851 01/13/21 05:57 PM
J
JB_PW Offline OP
OP Offline
J
LOL...I didn't mean I try to make the piano sound like a cello. I guess with that in mind, I might make the passage as legato as possible, and imagine the sound of the cello in my mind. But it probably comes out sounding exactly the same either way. smile

keystring #3068852 01/13/21 05:59 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Do they know whether it is effective? Do they ever see the people they coach in the masterclass again, to find out?

I have seen Barenboim do this in a recorded masterclass and he stated he always uses imagery. He thinks it works,

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Sidokar #3068855 01/13/21 06:08 PM
J
JB_PW Offline OP
OP Offline
J

I agree that communication could be improved...I will think of some better questions to ask in my upcoming lesson. Thanks!

Last edited by JB_PW; 01/13/21 06:09 PM.

JB_PW #3068856 01/13/21 06:11 PM
B
B
Maybe I'm just being a dunce here. We've branched out to discuss dynamics in more detail, which I've already admitted I'm not doing well with. Maybe if I get that sorted out I won't be hearing so much that I'm missing the character.
Dynamics - and their gradation - as well as variety of articulation is often where students are too "tame" at exploiting. And don't forget the 'voicing', the inflexion of the melodic line(s) over and above the accompaniment: another aspect of piano playing that many students don't appreciate, or deploy sufficiently. Though of course, to be able to do that, you must first have the skill: as Horowitz once said: "The technique is the expression."

Listen to this - and hear how Horowitz is able to draw out such a range of color & expression from a single repeated note (reminiscent of the tolling of Russian Orthodox Church bells), by using extreme voicing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=o8J1kc6tp1E&feature=youtu.be

I still remember how amazed I was, as a ten-year-old beginner who had hardly heard any classical music before (let alone played live in front of me), when I heard my first teacher play for me after each lesson. She drew out a huge range of dynamics and variety of articulation that even I, a compete neophyte, could appreciate in contributing towards the expressiveness of the music itself - and she achieved that playing on the cheap little upright that my parents bought (with little expectation that any of their children would continue lessons beyond a year), which was what I was learning on.

Develop the skills required to enable you to express all the emotions implicit in the music you're playing, which includes the ability to play notes - singly or in combination - at a wide range of dynamics, and you're already well on the way towards 'story-telling'.......whether or not you have an actual story in your mind. Because, what matters is not what you're creating/imagining in your head, but what your listener/audience is discerning from hearing you play.

The pianist is, in a sense, an actor. He doesn't have to 'feel inwardly' everything he is expressing by his playing. He doesn't have to be a method actor - in fact, with piano playing, it would be detrimental to his playing if the pianist starts sobbing whenever he plays something mournful, or laughs with glee when he plays a happy & witty piece grin.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
keystring #3068863 01/13/21 06:28 PM
Online Content
I'm sure they think it's effective. In master classes the student almost always is expected to immediately try to do what the teacher suggests so the teacher doesn't have to see them at a later date to find out of a suggestion helped. Sometimes, if the teacher just uses an image or verbal description of the character(and not something specific like a different tempo or a crescendo or different voicing), the teacher seems to think the student's playing is better but I can't hear anything different. And I wonder if the student is thinking the same thing.

To repeat an example I've mentioned several times in this thread, if the teacher pointed out that the opening of Beethoven's Sonata Op.31 #3 is a questioning motive, how would that effect one's playing? I think that description makes perfect sense and may be important to understand, but I am not at all sure it would change my playing assuming I was following what Beethoven wrote in the score. To me, the passage automatically sounds questioning.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/13/21 06:30 PM.
keystring #3068873 01/13/21 06:55 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I have no idea how to make the piano sound like a cello. I don't even know how to make it sound like other instruments I play. The piano sort of sounds like .... erm .... a piano.

That's not the point, obviously a piano sounds like a piano. What my teacher is getting it is that if you think about how an instrument sounds, what kind of phrasing and dynamics can you perform on the piano that are somewhat analogous.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
JB_PW #3068883 01/13/21 07:58 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The most recent example is Burgmuller Op 100 No 25. Several distinct character changes, usually with very different dynamics as well.

This is a perfect piece for stories!
Since the title is Knight Errant or some other translation, I'd start with a dopey chivalrous knight trotting properly along on his horse, looking for adventure or a maiden in distress or a dragon harassing the peasants. Then he finds what he finds and engages with it (you make this part up). Then he trots off.

Learner
JB_PW #3068888 01/13/21 08:05 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I think there are image moods and there are image stories. For some pieces I will imagine a mood that I think will fit with the composer's intent. I never come up with stories. I suppose for some programmatic pieces a story might be appropriate (and will often be suggested in the title or subtitles), but for most other things a story would just get in the way for me.

Some professional pianists might find imagery (mood or story?) useful, but it is by no means universal amongst professional pianists.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

JB_PW #3068952 01/14/21 02:05 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N

https://ozmusic.me/track-mp3/177618346-keith-jarrett-jack-dejohnette-gary-peacock-old-folks

If Keith Jarrett can sound like a human voice, then similarly, you can bring the piano sound closer to the cello, using register, articulation, timbre, dynamics, agogics, pedals. It takes imagination and exploration.

JB_PW #3068972 01/14/21 04:42 AM
Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
I’ve now had two teachers encourage me to create a backstory for the pieces I’m learning to help me get the character right. The new teacher expanded this a bit to include just deciding on an emotion, or even a color for different sections.
Getting the character from the imagery depends on the ability to express it at the piano. If you're lacking an ability to phrase well then developing new tools will help with giving a piece character.

You might find this article, Dr. Brent Hugh on Phrasing, helpful in bringing out the phrasing better but you must also listen to professional piano playing. The ear needs fine tuning to hear the less perceptible nuances in different interpretations before you can realise them yourself.

You might also try, when practising more slowly, to exaggerate the dynamics and the accents so that they're still there when you play at tempo but they're less forceful.

Richard
JB_PW #3068976 01/14/21 04:49 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

I agree that communication could be improved...I will think of some better questions to ask in my upcoming lesson. Thanks!

Well, what i meant is that it is really up to your teachers to help you add more character. The objective is not to necessarily impose upon you their view of the piece, but to show you practically what could be done better. And that means working out the piece phrase by phrase, bar by bar, beat by beat. Are you not doing that with them ? It is also a good idea to record yourself and compare with other performances on YT.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Fanny Hensel Sonata in G minor
by Ainar - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,567
Posts3,051,783
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission