2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
105 members (AndrewJCW, ambrozy, Beemer, Abdol, Animisha, anotherscott, anotherpianoplayer, akc42, 25 invisible), 617 guests, and 581 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Kawai ES520 / 920 Owners Club
#3068168 01/11/21 11:24 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Just got my ES920 a few days ago and it's everything and more that I was hoping for- what a pleasure to play! I predict these 2 boards will be among Kawai's best selling, and a dedicated thread for us new owners is timely.

REVIEWS:
Hopefully everyone will give a review at some point of what they think of the board, however short or long it may be. It can be very satisfying to put to words all the ways these boards work, or don't work, for you, like being able to tell a friend all about a subject very near and dear to you. Let us all be that friend!
----------------

OPTIMIZATIONS:
I also hope that people share how they use the board. I've found over the years that getting the most out of any board takes a certain amount of learning, organization and optimization, and yet I hear otherwise extremely verbose folks talking very little about this.

For example, I really love having different sound setups at the ready, like octave piano, piano with split bass, etc etc., and given only 28 registration memories spread over banks A, B, C and D, what is your approach?

Myself, I've already made up a hand-drawn sheet (like a small spreadsheet, A1, A2, etc.) for all 28 registrations that fits neatly below the speakers. I can then fill in with pencil the two sounds for each registration, and over time I will also include what Style/Rhythm I've included in that registration.

Within those 4 banks of sound I'll use Bank A for all manner of piano layering and splits, so that I know that I'm a button press away from any piano sound I could want, etc.

Am very curious how everyone approaches the strategic organization of their boards, fascinating and useful info!
---------------

SUB-THREADS
Trying to include EVERYTHING in one thread can make for an uncomfortably long and cumbersome thread. Hopefully the moderator will grant me or someone the ability to update this first post as needed.

For example, several other threads could be created, and a link in this first post would take you to:
- "FIRMWARE UPGRADES WISH LIST / BUG REPORT"
- "OPTIMIZATION / ORGANIZATION OF YOUR BOARD"
- "REVIEWS"
- "ES520 vs ES920"
- "NOW I'M JUST GETTING CARRIED AWAY"

Esp for firmware upgrades wish list, it's really helpful to have it all in one place, and it gives us more of a focused voice for making requests to Kawai. And so on.
-----------

So it begins. I've only had a few days so far with my beauty-beast, so my review will take me awhile. Have to say, this ES520 / ES920 Owners thread is the kind of club I've always wanted to be in, because it means I GOT ME ONE! I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!

Randy

Kawai ES110 and ES920, Korg Pa1000, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Kawai ES520 / 920 Owners Club
Randyman #3068230 01/12/21 04:50 AM
R
OP Offline
R
So question- didn't see this in any menu items as I was playing tonight. When I'm in Split mode, how do I get the left hand to sustain? I'm used to the sustain pedal holding the tone for both right and left hands. Is there a setting for that?

Also, how do I change the release and add reverb for the left hand in a split? Even if there's no way to use the sustain pedal for the left hand, I could at least set it to have a longish release. It sounds so bare to me without more sustain.

I know the bass is supposed to be mostly dry as in little reverb, but esp when it's piano or EP for the bass in a split, it sounds too stark without a longer release, perhaps a bit of reverb.

Randyman #3068233 01/12/21 04:55 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Randyman, the damper pedal behaviour when using Split mode can be changed using the "Lower Pedal" setting:

https://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/es920_es520/ES920_EN_R101.pdf#page=110

I believe Reverb is applied globally - i.e. it is not possible to specify different reverb settings for the upper and lower section when using Split mode.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Randyman #3068236 01/12/21 05:20 AM
M
Online Content
M
Originally Posted by Randyman
So it begins. I've only had a few days so far with my beauty-beast, so my review will take me awhile. Have to say, this ES520 / ES920 Owners thread is the kind of club I've always wanted to be in, because it means I GOT ME ONE! I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!

That's an interesting post, Randy, because it's not about specs (and guesses) anymore, but about personal experiences with this piano. Hopefully, many more posts will follow.

Have fun with your new piano!

Kawai Novus NV10; Kawai MP11SE

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Randyman #3068521 01/12/21 06:59 PM
P
P
Following. Proud owner of a ES920 and loving it.

Kawai James #3068551 01/12/21 09:01 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Randyman, the damper pedal behaviour when using Split mode can be changed using the "Lower Pedal" setting:

https://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/es920_es520/ES920_EN_R101.pdf#page=110

I believe Reverb is applied globally - i.e. it is not possible to specify different reverb settings for the upper and lower section when using Split mode.

Kind regards,
James
x
Thanks.
I notice that in a Split that the Reverb is applied universally for both Upper and Lower sounds, but the FX and Amp are not. Makes sense.

In the Piano Technician menu the Release applies only to the upper sound, even when the lower sound is a piano

In every board I own I typically extend the release envelope of many/most of the sounds, partly so that I don't over-rely on the sustain pedal. Actually my process is first to extend the release envelope just enough to create a bit more of a legato feel, but not too noticeable or over-extended. And then I sweeten with just enough reverb to give some body and atmosphere.

My first firmware request! Make the release parameter available in a Split for the lower sound as well.

Mickey_ #3068554 01/12/21 09:09 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Mickey_

That's an interesting post, Randy, because it's not about specs (and guesses) anymore, but about personal experiences with this piano. Hopefully, many more posts will follow.

Have fun with your new piano!
Thanks! It took me many years to realize I just needed a good piano board, and boy does this fit the bill. Have you tried an ES920 yet? I see your piano boards are already on the superstar list.

This is my ignorance speaking 'cause I've never tried an MP11SE or the Novus NV10, but coming from an ES110, it's hard to imagine the action could be much better than with the ES920.

Randyman #3068652 01/13/21 05:33 AM
M
Online Content
M
Thanks! It took me many years to realize I just needed a good piano board, and boy does this fit the bill. Have you tried an ES920 yet? I see your piano boards are already on the superstar list.

This is my ignorance speaking 'cause I've never tried an MP11SE or the Novus NV10, but coming from an ES110, it's hard to imagine the action could be much better than with the ES920.

I haven't yet tried an ES920, no. However, some time ago, I play-tested the MP7SE, which, at least, has the same key action. I think that's a fantastic model as well, so I'm pretty sure I'd like the ES920 too.

The NV10, which I'm renting for my home, is indeed great! Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like the sound the action makes (real hammers...), so I may "want" to replace it sometime soon. (It's cheaper than replacing her, you know!)

The MP11SE is in my office at work. To be totally honest, I like it almost as much as the NV10, the action (and the sound - through headphones though, as it has no speakers) is just fantastic. So I may end up with keeping the MP11SE (office) and buying an ES920 or an MP7SE as a replacement for the NV10 (home). The ES920, of course, has speakers, so that model may make more sense.

By the way: It may sound as if I'm a Kawai fanboy. I'm not. Before the MP11SE, I had the Yamaha P-515, but I didn't like its action. So I replaced it.

Again, Randyman, have fun with your ES920, and please give us an update whenever there's more you can and want to write about!

Kawai Novus NV10; Kawai MP11SE

Adult beginner
Hugh Sung, Popular Piano course (in progress)
Randyman #3068718 01/13/21 10:49 AM
R
R
Like you, I chose the ES-920 over the 520 at least in part due to the auto-accompaniment feature--I don't think you had specifically mentioned it in the thread I started last month for advice, but I discovered a couple of youtube videos where it was demonstrated. It doesn't seem to be at all "cheesy," like the inexpensive Casios of past generations I'm used to and seems really impressive. After some thought, I realized that one thing I could use a digital piano for is working on jazz improv, where a full accompaniment option would be hugely helpful, and something I can't get from playing my acoustic (Yamaha T-121). I didn't know, however, that the three-pedal setup allows you to control the accompaniment with your feet--I opted for the basic package and the single pedal.

Having never owned a digital piano before, this thread will undoubtedly be very helpful to me once it arrives and I set it up and start to tinker. For instance, do you connect it to the Kawai software through a laptop or iPad? What is it used for, other than additional sounds? Thanks for starting it!

Randyman #3068740 01/13/21 12:13 PM
J
J
Hello all! I'm new here on Piano World Forums. 1st time poster, but i've been following the Kawai ES920 and other threads for a few months. I am SO glad we started an ES520 / 920 owners club as well, dedicated to just these pianos. Let's keep it clean and friendly and supportive! I just got my ES920 and had it for a couple of days only. I haven't had time to read the manual and look through all functions yet but so far, so good.

Some background, i've been playing piano for over 30 years, and several other instruments too. I grew up on an upright acoustic Petrof, whose action was hard as heck and very metallic sounding sound board. But nonetheless, it gave me good finger training and i've played on many other acoustics including Yamaha, Steinways, Petrof, Young Chiang, etc. Digital Piano wise, i've had my Roland Fp-7 for 13 years before finally selling it to my student and was piano-less for 8 months! ouch! The DP delay all around the world forced me to wait, because I was so ready to get the Roland FP-60 next, until i finally tried an ES8 in person. Then i was just so blown away and for what i was looking for in my next DP, i was completely sold. I tried it next to other Rolands, including the FP90 (hated it), and also tried the Yamaha P515, didn't like it either (action too squishy and hard for my style and sounds too bright), and Rolands by comparison sounded too harsh and metallic and robotic and Brassy, that the Kawai just took my breath away. Then the ES8 sold out that same weekend and i took too long to decide. So when i heard the new ES series got announced, i pre-ordered and FINALLY...the ES920 arrived two days ago. WOHOOOO!

So 1st impressions...I LOVE it. So far, the controls are intuitive enough that i can poke around without frustration without getting too deep. The most common functions i need are quickly accessible. The SK-EX is fabulously rich and nuanced. The EX is too bright, but love the Warm Grand and Uprights. All other sounds, good and usable. Though, here's where i kinda miss my Roland...Roland still has better EPs and Pads and Synths, but that's what they're known for anyway. I got the Kawai for a better pianistic experience and that's exactly what i got. So, i figured...get this for that, and i can always get Roland Sound Modules for the other stuff i miss. No worries.

Randyman, good idea on the registration settings. I haven't even touched those yet, but eventually i'd love to have a cheat sheet too.

I agree though, not enough people have talked about the Rhythm feature. It is AWESOME and under-rated. It was definitely on my must haves. The older FP60 and FP90s have it, but the new Roland FP-X series that just came out removed the rhythms as i think Roland wanted people to access rhythms through apps instead. I didn't like that. So i'm SO happy to see Kawai kept this...and on top of that, the intelligent accompaniment is actually quite good! It's quite smart as i've tested several styles of music and it kept up, whether 1 finger mode or auto chords. I've had a ton of fun with it so far.

The speakers...fantastic for this price and for what i need. So again, i was coming from a Roland FP-7 which i've always had a problem with its tiny and muffled speakers. This ES920 is miles ahead. It's so loud with really good bass, that it's actually overkill for the little room i have it in. So i've been playing with volume settings at around 2-3 only more towards the left part of the slider.
It's very clear and i can hear all nuances. For headphones, i'm using the SONY MDRs studio headphones, so everything is coming through clear and nice, but i'm curious what you others are using that might be a better choice for Kawai frequencies. Maybe i'm missing out? I'm happy to see there are specific head-phone settings to change the ambiance and surround type, but i think i'd rather keep it flat and neutral.

I don't have the dedicated stand and triple pedal yet...that will arrive in Feb. So for now, can't test any extra pedaling features.

Anyway before my 1st post gets too long, i'll stop here. Excited to learn more from each other as we go along on how to maximize our new ES920s!!

J-Corgi77 #3068753 01/13/21 01:11 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by J-Corgi77
...This ES920 is miles ahead. It's so loud with really good bass, that it's actually overkill for the little room i have it in. So i've been playing with volume settings at around 2-3 only more towards the left part of the slider.
It's very clear and i can hear all nuances. For headphones, i'm using the SONY MDRs studio headphones, so everything is coming through clear and nice, but i'm curious what you others are using that might be a better choice for Kawai frequencies.

I just got mine a couple days ago, also.

My previous digital pianos were Kawai ES7, Kawai ES8, and Kawai MP11SE.

So, you can tell I am a fan of the Kawai product.

I sold the MP11SE because I missed having an internal speaker system and also because it was so very heavy.

Initially, I was a bit disappointed with the ES920.

My disappointment centered on clarity at low volume. I was not used to LOUD and when I attempted to get the ES920 down to a volume level I enjoyed, the clarity was reduced and it sounded a bit muffled.

I have since been able to make a few adjustments and have gotten the volume down to where I like it and retain the clarity I am after. Some of that might be getting used to the sound which is different from what I had anticipated. I am fine with it, now.

I did also look forward to the "fast" action which I remembered from the ES8 days. It is nice to be able to do a trill with lightning speed. My MP11SE seemed (may have been imagined) a bit slow in that regard as it had a very smooth action.

So, all in all .... I am enjoying things with no regrets.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
Randyman #3068757 01/13/21 01:32 PM
J
J
Oh forgot to add, when I sold my Roland FP-7, i had the following criteria that had to be met for my next DP:

1. Way better pianistic experience for my style of playing in key action (New Age, soft ballads, jazz, blues, stride, etc)
2. Better speakers
3. Better intuitive control UI
4. Softer buttons on the control panel (in touch and click sound. The FP7 was really clicky and loud, bothered me quite a bit)
5. Maintain rhythm patterns and accompaniment
6. USB MIDI, WAV and MP3 audio record feature
7. Must have amazing piano tones
8. Bonus if other tones are good
9. Good price point
10. Look inviting (yes looks do matter actually!...the ES8 in person was very classy looking. The ES920, at first i was bummed as it became more flat and lost the ES8 curves and metal. But now in person, it doesn't look so bad and still looks pretty good, especially once i get the matching stand)

11. Easy to use (so far so good)
12. and Not overloaded with too many bells and whistles that i'd pay for but never use
13. BT audio and MIDI a huge plus

I'm sure there were more, but those were my top priorities and the ES920 hit them all nicely!
The only thing i wish were more sounds, like at least the GM MIDI2 sound bank since Kawai included those on the CN39. (which i've played also and LOVE it!...except the CN39 UI is way more clunky and i didn't like having to bend my neck to the left to find and push buttons). I almost considered the CN39, but it was the UI that bothered me, and for the room i have the piano in, lack of space for the cabinet style piano.

Anyway, loving it so far and need to get used to the heavier action compared to my Roland FP7, which was definitely lighter and i got spoiled by that quick action.

Last edited by J-Corgi77; 01/13/21 01:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Randyman #3068784 01/13/21 02:54 PM
R
OP Offline
R
@ J-Corgi77, for a lighter action have you tried adjusting the touch to light?

Randyman #3068785 01/13/21 02:55 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by J-Corgi77
Hello all! I'm new here on Piano World Forums. 1st time poster, but i've been following the Kawai ES920 and other threads for a few months.

I am SO glad we started an ES520 / 920 owners club as well, dedicated to just these pianos. Let's keep it clean and friendly and supportive! I just got my ES920 and had it for a couple of days only. I haven't had time to read the manual and look through all functions yet but so far, so good.

Some background, i've been playing piano for over 30 years, and several other instruments too. I grew up on an upright acoustic Petrof, whose action was hard as heck and very metallic sounding sound board. But nonetheless, it gave me good finger training and i've played on many other acoustics including Yamaha, Steinways, Petrof, Young Chiang, etc. Digital Piano wise, i've had my Roland Fp-7 for 13 years before finally selling it to my student and was piano-less for 8 months! ouch! The DP delay all around the world forced me to wait, because I was so ready to get the Roland FP-60 next, until i finally tried an ES8 in person. Then i was just so blown away and for what i was looking for in my next DP, i was completely sold. I tried it next to other Rolands, including the FP90 (hated it), and also tried the Yamaha P515, didn't like it either (action too squishy and hard for my style and sounds too bright), and Rolands by comparison sounded too harsh and metallic and robotic and Brassy, that the Kawai just took my breath away. Then the ES8 sold out that same weekend and i took too long to decide. So when i heard the new ES series got announced, i pre-ordered and FINALLY...the ES920 arrived two days ago. WOHOOOO!

So 1st impressions...I LOVE it. So far, the controls are intuitive enough that i can poke around without frustration without getting too deep. The most common functions i need are quickly accessible. The SK-EX is fabulously rich and nuanced. The EX is too bright, but love the Warm Grand and Uprights. All other sounds, good and usable. Though, here's where i kinda miss my Roland...Roland still has better EPs and Pads and Synths, but that's what they're known for anyway. I got the Kawai for a better pianistic experience and that's exactly what i got. So, i figured...get this for that, and i can always get Roland Sound Modules for the other stuff i miss. No worries.

Randyman, good idea on the registration settings. I haven't even touched those yet, but eventually i'd love to have a cheat sheet too.

I agree though, not enough people have talked about the Rhythm feature. It is AWESOME and under-rated. It was definitely on my must haves. The older FP60 and FP90s have it, but the new Roland FP-X series that just came out removed the rhythms as i think Roland wanted people to access rhythms through apps instead. I didn't like that. So i'm SO happy to see Kawai kept this...and on top of that, the intelligent accompaniment is actually quite good! It's quite smart as i've tested several styles of music and it kept up, whether 1 finger mode or auto chords. I've had a ton of fun with it so far.

The speakers...fantastic for this price and for what i need. So again, i was coming from a Roland FP-7 which i've always had a problem with its tiny and muffled speakers. This ES920 is miles ahead. It's so loud with really good bass, that it's actually overkill for the little room i have it in. So i've been playing with volume settings at around 2-3 only more towards the left part of the slider.
It's very clear and i can hear all nuances. For headphones, i'm using the SONY MDRs studio headphones, so everything is coming through clear and nice, but i'm curious what you others are using that might be a better choice for Kawai frequencies. Maybe i'm missing out? I'm happy to see there are specific head-phone settings to change the ambiance and surround type, but i think i'd rather keep it flat and neutral.

I don't have the dedicated stand and triple pedal yet...that will arrive in Feb. So for now, can't test any extra pedaling features.

Anyway before my 1st post gets too long, i'll stop here. Excited to learn more from each other as we go along on how to maximize our new ES920s!!
Welcome!! Yes, I heartily concur, "am SO glad we started an ES520 / 920 owners club as well, dedicated to just these pianos. Let's keep it clean and friendly and supportive!

Randyman #3068811 01/13/21 04:09 PM
J
J
Thank you @randyman...totally agree. No need to speculate about specs and all that now...just pure experience and advice and helpful tips.

and thanks @DMD also for posting your settings in the other channel, i saw those and will try those out too. Randyman, yes, i've played around with the touch curves and noticed it's a fine balance and i think best thing is have different settings for different types of songs. I actually like the default and heavy1 for the ballads and new age stuff where i need to have softer pianissimo passages, and then switch to light1 or 2 for playing faster blues and jazz stuff, but then i lose out on some bottom end frequencies i found. So in that case, i would then play around with the live EQ sliders to add bottom end...which oh man, i love having the live EQ sliders so ready to go. That's a HUGE plus.

I will definitely have to dig into the user manual this weekend and give it a good read through. Can't be helped though, i think like everyone else, we're just so excited to play the piano, we skip through the manual, LOL.

J-Corgi77 #3068813 01/13/21 04:15 PM
F
F
dmd thank you for your initial review. Can you advise us what setting adjustments from default you found helpful to achieving improved sound clarity at lower volumes? I’m new to DPs and it would helpful to understand which parameters you modified to experiment with on my setup.

Best,

Frank

Last edited by franknm; 01/13/21 04:16 PM. Reason: Identified wrong poster in initial version of my post.
franknm #3068854 01/13/21 06:03 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by franknm
dmd thank you for your initial review. Can you advise us what setting adjustments from default you found helpful to achieving improved sound clarity at lower volumes? I’m new to DPs and it would helpful to understand which parameters you modified to experiment with on my setup.

Here are some specific menu sections that I find useful ....

1-1 Tone Control - I Set Brilliance to -5

1-3 Speaker Vol. - I set it to LOW

2-1 Touch Curve - I set it to HEAVY1

2-2 Voicing - I set it to Dynamic

These settings are the only ones I have adjusted at the moment and they have allowed me to gain control of the volume issue I was having. So, sometimes it doesn't take much.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
dmd #3068910 01/13/21 09:50 PM
F
F
Much appreciated. I also saw your testing process described in a separate thread which really will help my process.

Randyman #3068964 01/14/21 04:18 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Literally stumbled into recording myself. Turns out pressing the record button puts you in standby and when you play it starts recording. Playing back is just as easy.

10 SONGS
With 10 songs I can see all manner of systems. The first one I thought of: keep a list of the top 10 songs I'm working on and whenever I've practiced any of them to where I think I can improve on what I've previously recorded, then boom, record over the first pass. Effectively that puts me in a contest with myself to see if I can do it better.

Was hearing a difference between my headphones and the sound from the speakers. I've just recently picked up some really nice open back headphones, Beyerdynamic DT990s. They deliver a tonality that just sounds right.

PIANO SOUNDS:
Have finally started to h e a r the different pianos:
- SX: most balanced, full bodied, the workhorse, a favorite
- EX: has a bite to it, my least favorite
- Jazz Clean: seems derived from SX but is leaner, thinner, feels 'clean', would work well when you don't want to take up too much space
- Warm Grand: my other favorite, love how it has a mood suited to quieter, more tender playing
- Pop Grand: don't like the harsh brightness

- SX-5: this sounds like an upright! less pronounced than the next one, esp the bass
- Upright: once again, that out-of-tune? bass of an upright
- No use for the following 3

Have been surprised at how my hearing seems to have become more fine-tuned? over the last week. Was listening for and didn't hear most of the distinctions between piano sounds. I'm guessing that the fine detail of the headphones helps me to hear how different the piano sounds are from one another.

Randyman #3068966 01/14/21 04:31 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Literally stumbled into recording myself. Turns out pressing the record button puts you in standby and when you play it starts recording. Playing back is just as easy.

10 SONGS
With 10 songs I can see all manner of systems. The first one I thought of: keep a list of the top 10 songs I'm working on and whenever I've practiced any of them to where I think I can improve on what I've previously recorded, then boom, record over the first pass. Effectively that puts me in a contest with myself to see if I can do it better.

Was hearing a difference between my headphones and the sound from the speakers. I've just recently picked up some really nice open back headphones, Beyerdynamic DT990s. They deliver a tonality that just sounds right.

PIANO SOUNDS:
Have finally started to h e a r the different pianos:
- SX: most balanced, full bodied, the workhorse, a favorite
- EX: has a bite to it, my least favorite
- Jazz Clean: seems derived from SX but is leaner, thinner, feels 'clean', would work well when you don't want to take up too much space
- Warm Grand: my other favorite, love how it has a mood suited to quieter, more tender playing
- Pop Grand: don't like the harsh brightness

- SX-5: this sounds like an upright! less pronounced than the next one, esp the bass
- Upright: once again, that out-of-tune? bass of an upright
- No use for the following 3

Have been surprised at how my hearing seems to have become more fine-tuned? over the last week. Was listening for and didn't hear most of the distinctions between piano sounds. I'm guessing that the fine detail of the headphones helps me to hear how different the piano sounds are from one another.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Fanny Hensel Sonata in G minor
by Ainar - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,571
Posts3,051,806
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission