2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3066415 01/07/21 07:51 PM
S
Steve.L Offline OP
OP Offline
S

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I started lessons as an adult, my teacher told me up front that she didn't teach "Fur Elise". She went to Julliard and was probably sick of it. Sick of playing it, teaching it, listening to it. Just sick of all of it.

E
E
That is my daughter's name so I keep it fresh.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by TBell
When I started lessons as an adult, my teacher told me up front that she didn't teach "Fur Elise". She went to Julliard and was probably sick of it. Sick of playing it, teaching it, listening to it. Just sick of all of it.

Hahahaha, you should learn it, play it for her and watch her face, see if her eyes twitch and project that I'm slowly going insane look. laugh

5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Emanuel Ax was to play it last year. I was looking forward to it, but Covid struck.

I love Für Elise. It's not Beethoven's fault that it's played to death, and playing it to death doesn't make it bad music.

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Emanuel Ax was to play it last year. I was looking forward to it, but Covid struck.

I love Für Elise. It's not Beethoven's fault that it's played to death, and playing it to death doesn't make it bad music.

Funny story: I love Fur Elise too (I can only play the A part of the ABACA so far) and my teacher hates it. When we were discussing which piece to choose for my recital, he was like "well, you can pick pretty much anything you want but, of course, not Fur Elise..." Then I flip through the program at the recital and, lo and behold, one of the students was playing Fur Elise :-)

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
S
Steve.L Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Among others, I like both Levit's performance and the Paul Lewis performance referenced in the article.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I've never learnt to play Für Elise, but I have actually performed it. grin

It's the only classical piece I ever performed (or attempted to perform) in public entirely by ear.......in the bar on a ferry ship, at someone's request, after I'd played some classical pieces on the bar upright, following Bridge Over Troubled Water and other pop classics, sung - and accompanied - lustily by my friends and I. My friends, like all the others propping up the bar, had had a few drinks; I hadn't.........but agreed to the request only because they all had smirk .

As to why I never learnt Für Elise, my teachers never taught it to me, and I never encountered it in a score when sight-reading through stuff (including Beethoven sonatas and variations and bagatelles - but nothing about Ms Elise in them). And as to why I never sought it out, it's because when I was a kid in my home country, one of the neighbor's kids next door rattled through it ff and prestissimo for months. I never found out whether he treated it as a study or a warm-up, or just because he liked to rattle through it every day in place of whatever else he was supposed to be practicing. But I eventually had to plug my ears every time I heard him start the piece. (Our windows were always open.)

As to my actual performance on that ship, let's just say that it was fortunate that Beethoven was already quite deaf when he heard it from his perch up in the clouds (or wherever he happened to be residing), or I'd have got an earful of %\*&§?@!! (in German, of course) from him. But in my defence, I did actually play it in the right key (entirely by chance: A minor is the easiest minor key whistle) and I did actually play all the right notes in the right order in the repeating rondo theme that everyone knows - though the other sections were mostly my own imaginative recreations......... ha yippie

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
As one who has frequently blighted these pages with the strictly held belief that the artist has the right to perform any piece as they wish to, Fur Elise is the exception that proves the rule. (Stupid saying, probably not even true, I don't know why I bother to write this stuff sometimes and I expect you wish I didn't!) It MUST be played EXACTLY as written and is thus a wonderful excercise in self control and musicianship. IMO.

Fur Elise is almost treated with contempt, certainly disregard as a challenging classical piece, which it most certainly is, and a bit of a joke.

But if you decide (or Beethoven TELLS you!) to treat it with respect, affection, seriousness and in a good-hearted spirit it is actually stunningly beautiful, to the point of moving and supremely nostalgic.

If you learn it and wait, until early on a warm summer's evening, when you and your piano are alone, (that bit does seem to be quite important to me) I swear it is magically evocative. It has managed somehow to take me to a place no other piece of music has. I love it and I always will, it is too good to be wasted by insufficient effort and is the epitome of the saying, "You only get out as much as you put in".

Originally Posted by bennevis
- though the other sections were mostly my own imaginative recreations......... :

I remember us having a bit of a go about Smetena's Vlatava piece, I think it was years ago now! I maintained you could (ahem) "busk" blush the rest after briefly learning the main theme. You though that a little "brash" I seem to recall (Which is fair enough, this isn't a criticism, just a rememberance)

I always "busk" a bit of Smetana and the less known bit in JS Bach's Bouree (the famous "jazzy" one)

It is astounding what you can get away with. I have NEVER had a complaint! (Too polite, I suppose!)

K
K
Ivo Pogorelich opened a recital with it years ago! (This was during his peak playing years in the late 80s/early 90s--I've seen him 4 times, so I don't recall exactly which year he played it.) It was wonderful.

Originally Posted by slipperykeys
As one who has frequently blighted these pages with the strictly held belief that the artist has the right to perform any piece as they wish to...
Any pianist, "artist" or not, has the right to play a piece any way that want. But doing that doesn't mean the performance is necessarily good or appropriate or musical or intelligently thought out even is some people like it. If Beethoven's tempo indication is Adagio and someone plays the piece Allegro, no serious pianist would consider that good.

M
M
I know an piano teacher who told me that she refused to give lessons on the Rachmaninoff C sharp minor Prelude for similar reasons. Apparently it's been overplayed to death, but I didn't know that at the time. I'd only heard it once, and liked it, so I learned it and still enjoy it. This is one of those cases where ignorance is bliss, apparently.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
S
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
S
I absolutely love this piece as well. The quality of the piece is independant of the fact that it is overplayed. I actually find the Lang Lang version extremely well played.

Blüthner model 6
I agree.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
LangLang has a piano promo version on youtube. he doesn't rush on the meat like most performers, steady to the end.

Last edited by jeffcat; 01/09/21 03:13 PM.
S
Steve.L Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by jeffcat
LangLang has a piano promo version on youtube.
Thanks for pointing this out. Another lovely performance, IMO. Nice video as well!

Last edited by Steve.L; 01/10/21 12:08 PM.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
That's a very nice video - thanks for sharing. I liked LL's playing a lot. But, I like the musical video even more - I like how it portrays that this piece is so accessible to many 'mere mortals' and has a significant emotional meaning for many. After all, that's what music is for - for everyone to feel and enjoy. Very well done.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission