2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#30655 02/16/08 08:29 PM
R
riolima Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am looking for a rebuilt Steinway grand, model L, O or maybe A, if I can afford it. Can anyone recommend highly reputable Steinway restorers who are likely to have some of these models and are willing to ship within the United States?

Thanks!

#30656 02/16/08 08:35 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
jeffrey Potter at http://santacruzpiano.com
or Dale Erwin at http://www.erwinspiano.com/ are both people I could highly recommend. They are both based in central CA.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
#30657 02/16/08 09:49 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't tell us where you are located. Typically, in each major metropolitan area there are one or more quality rebuilders ie. New Jersey, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, etc. Let us know where you are and those that know will jump in and give you information.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
#30658 02/16/08 10:26 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dave,

Do you mean Randy Potter?

Verhnjak Pianos
Specializing in the Restoration, Refinishing & Maintenance
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#30659 02/16/08 10:51 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have heard that CountryPiano does a lot of good work rebuilding Steinways, and they have a large selection...they are located in upstate NY. www.countrypiano.com

#30660 02/16/08 11:02 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Based on the other thread, I seem to recall you were located in Atlanta. Were there not rebuilders available in that area you were comfortable with?

I'm sure almost anyone in the rebuilding profession would be more than willing to ship a piano long distance--most of us have done so on many occasions. It does make the doing adequate research on the establishment increasingly difficult as you get further away though.

Playing on a number of their pianos, talking to some of their customers, and perhaps technicians in the area that know them best are all things that one should do in selecting a restored instrument. Especially in restorations, you aren't simply purchasing Brand X and model Y. You are getting the workmanship, experience, judgment and reputation of the team doing the work.

Best luck

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
#30661 02/16/08 11:11 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Depending on your location, I suggest visiting a rebuilder (or two). Watch the work being performed. Speak with the people actually doing the work. Play the finished product that is available on display.

If the rebuilder passes this muster, you may be in the right place.

(If you are in Atlanta, start your investigation by calling Don Bennett at Pianoworks).

Good Luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
#30662 02/17/08 01:15 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Rod,

No, while I know Randy, I mean Jeff Potter. He does great work.

Originally posted by Rod Verhnjak:
Dave,

Do you mean Randy Potter?

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
#30663 02/17/08 04:35 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Dave Stahl:
jeffrey Potter at http://potterspianoservice.com

Dave the link you supplied goes to Randys web site not Jeffreys

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#30664 02/17/08 11:20 AM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Rod,

Oooops...you're right! But there is a Jeffrey Potter in Santa Cruz who does great work. He rebuilt my piano some years ago. I can't seem to dig up the link for him. I'll keep looking.

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
#30665 02/17/08 12:56 PM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
My aunt and uncle shipped their Steinway grand piano from North Carolina to Philadelphia to have it rebuilt at Cunningham Piano Company and Factory. They were thrilled with the results. My post-retirement uncle has started a second career as a concert pianist, thanks in part to the job Cunningham did rebuilding his piano.

#30666 02/17/08 11:19 PM
Riolima:

Many rebuilders do good, even great, work. What distinguishes the Steinway & Sons dealer (as long as they have a superior rebuilder, which most, but not all, do), and their piano, is being able to rebuild it with all original parts. ONLY THE AUTHORIZED STEINWAY & SONS DEALER, HOWEVER, CAN USE A NEW STEINWAY & SONS SOUNDBOARD IN THE REBUILD. NONE OTHERS CAN. Any rebuilder can buy original Steinway & Sons parts, BUT NOT THE SOUNDBOARD. THE SOUNDBOARD IS THE SOUL OF THE INSTRUMENT.

As this is the case, MOST rebuilders will tout the following in order to garner business:

1) "we can make a soundboard just like Steinway's. Its not that hard, etc..."

2) "Abel parts are superior, hornbeam is superior, etc.... (i.e. anything but original Steinway parts)"

The biggest competition for NEW Steinway & Sons pianos is Used and rebuilt Steinway & Sons pianos. This is a fact. What is the biggest competition for Oakley sunglasses, for Louis Vuitton purses, for Rolex watches: used or fake ones. I've seen some rebuilds that are less than 20% a true Steinway & Sons. Its a travesty, but some are more worried about making a buck, then reproduce a masterpiece. Some buyers buy the Steinway & Sons piano for the name only.

I hope that you are not just buying for the name, Riolima! If you do choose to buy a rebuilt, tread carefully.

This is a generalization, but, the closer, price-wise, the rebuild or used Steinway & Sons piano is to a new one, the more likely it is to have all original parts and/or to be a true masterpiece of rebuilding work.

By the way, Steinway & Sons pianos rebuilt by the factory in New York are deemed "Heirloom" Steinways and come with a certificate.

If you choose not to go with a Steinway & Sons dealer, go with "pianobroker" in California. He, in my assessment, seems to be very knowledgable and appears to have quite a following on this forum, as far as Steinway rebuilders go.

By the way, PIANOBROKER, what do you think of my comments above and how do you match the quality/tight-grain of the Steinway & Sons soundboard?

#30667 02/17/08 11:55 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The technician who works on my piano has had nice things to say about the recent work being done at the Steinway NY rebuild shop at the factory location. He also has equally nice things to say about the pianos rebuilt by a well-known shop 30 minutes away from here in Texas. This tech does all kinds of concert level work, all over the country, and knows enough to see the difference between a rebuild that LOOKS good and one that IS good.

I've heard the argument Pianomadam states before (it only seems to be reiterated by steinway salespeople, not even by musician/consumer steinway "enthusiasts"). It rings hollow with me as a potential future consumer of a fully rebuilt steinway for the following reasons:

1. Until Steinway patents its own tree species, I believe one can source spruce of equal quality from likely the same part of the world as the OEM board. Speaking of that, if I remember my history correctly, the specific soundboard spruce has been sourced from different places around the world for different generations of Steinway pianos (and possibly different locations concurrently for each factory's piano at some point).

2. To the best of my knowledge, rebuilders can get steinway replacement action parts with little difficulty. Whether or not they choose to replace parts with Steinway or Renner is a matter of personal preference for the rebuilder. It's up to the consumer to decide if the results are satisfactory. Lest we not forget who the Hamburg factory sources their action from... I saw a NY model D at Faust Harrison's back in October that was rebuilt with a Renner action and NY hammers. Seems like a novel concept to me. Would anyone here care to have their CBS-era Steinway action replaced with an exact duplicate of the original? eek

Regardless of who did the rebuild, I'd probably want the instrument inspected by an independent tech knowledgeable about rebuilds to go over it with a fine-toothed comb before delivery. To have the warranty backing of a large, well-known and funded company would probably be a good selling point.

I often see the RPT's on the pianotech list referring to now as the "golden age" of rebuilds/rebuilding technology. I think the beneficiary of this will be a well-educated, discriminating buyer with "tier one" tastes and a "tier two" budget!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
#30668 02/18/08 12:24 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
Riolima:
ONLY THE AUTHORIZED STEINWAY & SONS DEALER, HOWEVER, CAN USE A NEW STEINWAY & SONS SOUNDBOARD IN THE REBUILD. NONE OTHERS CAN. Any rebuilder can buy original Steinway & Sons parts, BUT NOT THE SOUNDBOARD. THE SOUNDBOARD IS THE SOUL OF THE INSTRUMENT.

A Steinway dealer can only get a Steinway board if they send the piano to the factory for a complete belly job. The factory has to install it. A dealer can not.

If I wanted to do that I could as well. And I'm not a Steinway dealer.

As far as action parts go. Steinway New York also offers Renner parts if technicians wants them.
In fact if I am not mistaken, if they do not have the correct parts for certain years they ship parts produced from Renner.

Not all action parts produced in New York will work on all Steinways manufactured.

And the soundboard material that is used often by Steinway is available to all rebuilders and is sold from Hoquiam Washington.

Verhnjak Pianos
of Fine Heirloom Pianos

www.pianoman.ca
Verhnjak Pianos Facebook

#30669 02/18/08 01:56 AM
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Originally posted by Rod Verhnjak:
Originally posted by Pianomadam:
[b] Riolima:
ONLY THE AUTHORIZED STEINWAY & SONS DEALER, HOWEVER, CAN USE A NEW STEINWAY & SONS SOUNDBOARD IN THE REBUILD. NONE OTHERS CAN. Any rebuilder can buy original Steinway & Sons parts, BUT NOT THE SOUNDBOARD. THE SOUNDBOARD IS THE SOUL OF THE INSTRUMENT.

Not all action parts produced in New York will work on all Steinways manufactured.

[/b]
Regarding action parts, the current Steinway and Sons parts are nothing like the vintage parts. Put them together side by side. They are nothing alike. Different dimensions. Different wood cores on the hammers. The current parts usually work well enough, but so do parts made by other makers.

The whole "all Steinway parts" argument is just silly. Does the soundboard come from trees in the magical Steinway forest, just north of Lake Petrof? It's wood, which comes from trees, just like any other wood. There's nothing magic about the wood that Steinway buys.

If I were looking for a rebuilder in the Atlanta area, I would look up Brian Krefting. I worked beside him in his dad's (Jack Krefting) shop for years. He's rebuilt hundred's of Steinways, I can tell you that. He does good work.

Roy Peters, RPT
Cincinnati, Ohio
www.cincypiano.com
#30670 02/18/08 02:45 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Pianomadam
We do appreciate your kind words of recommendation /referal as for one looking to buy a preowned restored Steinway grand though you've never seen our facility or played any of my pianos.I will say this much, we have many many to choose from in that hand made restored Steinways are all different no matter how precision your restoration level is. Depending on where the poster resides there are many great reputable restoration firms all over the country and most being active participants on this forum.Cunninghams,Pianocraft,Verhnjaks
Allegro only to mention a few, though there are many others.

Rod's prior post is pretty much on point as for Steinway parts availability to the independent rebuilder.
Your point as for replicating a Steinway soundboard,authenticity sake may be a valid point to many in that N.Y. and Hamburg soundboards are "diaphramatic". As for acquiring soundboard spruce we acquire quantity shipments of both Alaskan Sitka Spruce (same as Steinway's source) and Canadian Bolduc. If one wanted(bellyman)one could replicate a soundboard spec wise to that of a N.Y.soundboard down to the nontapered sugar pine rib scale and configuration if one chose to do so. Many technically rescale Steinways bettering the instrument but may be viewed differently by the Steinway buyer. I'd have to confer with my bellyman for any more detailed info spec wise. Again Thanks!

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
#30671 02/18/08 06:52 AM
P
P
This dealer does magnificent work. He has many already-rebuilt pianos, and he also has plenty of unrebuilt pianos if you want to start from scratch and customize your rebuild:

http://www.classicpianos.com/

Highly recommended.

Moreover, he is having a sale right now, with plenty of tempting bargains. Yes, I know, every dealer has sales, but for him it's pretty rare.

I know you are looking for a Steinway--he has plenty of Steinways, and I am a Steinway owner myself--but I should mention one more thing, on the oft chance that it might interest you:

Sitting in his showroom right now is the best piano that I have ever played. It is a Mason and Hamlin CC with the tension resonator--one of only about 250 ever built--and it is on sale at a huge discount. An acquaintance of mine who is a conductor recently played it, and his comment was, "It is not a piano. It is an orchestra."

I heartily agreed. Magnificent tone, mind-reading touch, great subtlety, terrific everything. You can easily find pictures of it on the website. It would be marvelous on a concert stage, and anyone who took it home would neglect everything else ever after, because he would play that piano non-stop.

As much as I would love to buy that CC, I am afraid 9' 4" is just too large for my house. Hmmm... time to get a bigger house. smile

Anyway, there are plenty of Steinways on the website also. Good luck whatever you do.

#30672 02/18/08 12:10 PM
riolima -- I worked with one NY rebuilder and spent (a lot of )time with another and would suggest caution in dealing with rebuilders. There are no standards or clear definitions about what work is done.

You can buy books detailing work to be done and you still will be challenged unless it's your business.

My experience was Steinways rebuilt by Steinway sounded different than Steintways rebuilt by others. Steinway's were the only one to produce the real Steinway sound I had expected to hear and to produce the action that I sought.

My criteria were action first and sound second, case can be important but lining up all three is almost impossible hence the preference for ebony.

A lot depends on your current and future playing needs. My advice is to be cautious with any rebuild. And if you seek rebuilders, get the names of customers - preferably those who are serious players and see what they believe.

Happy hunting...

2005 Steinway B
#30673 02/18/08 03:23 PM
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by pianobroker:

Your point as for replicating a Steinway soundboard,authenticity sake may be a valid point to many in that N.Y.soundboards subsequent to 1936 are of "diaphramatic". Hamburg Steinway soundboards are not. Doesn't seem to affect Hamburg Steinways.
Hey PB,

Go look closely at the Hamburg Steinways you recently received. I think you will find that their boards are tapered similarly to a NY Steinway, although they might be a bit thicker depending on model.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
#30674 02/18/08 05:04 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Keith,You're absolutely right.Checking Steinway website technical data Edited my post. Talking to by bellyman,diaphraming a board was fairly an unsophisticated procedure tapering the entire panel from 8mm to 5mm or whatever,the main objective to make the treble end thicker and the bass end thinner. Evidently even way before 1936 all Steinway soundboards were diaphramed by the bellymen in the Steinway factory. Learn something new everyday in this biz. In changing these turn of the century tortured soundboards you have probably noticed they were diaphramed way back in the early 1900s or even before. We diaphram our boards though finding these Bolduc soundboards are relatively thinner than Alaskan Sitka Spruce .

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission