2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1. Get over my reluctance to practice when people are around. This is important as the only piano that I currently have access to is unfortunately, not in my room (so I can't shut the door or anything like that...).

2. Practice/Play something regularly, like for at least twice every week, and for at least an hour each time.

3. Also, practice/play what you want. Really.

4. Take notes. Record yourself even? Learn to communicate what you're doing, and why you're doing it.

5. Enjoy it!

6. Continue to listen to more music (!).

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by loydb
I'm in my 50s returning to the instrument. All my training as a kid was strictly classical. In coming back, I am concentrating on jazz and improvisation mainly.

My 2021 goals:

1. Succeed in MYOD challenge
2. Be able to open the Real Book and play the head in the key written on 90% of the pieces
3. Pick back up the ability to play some of the easier Bach, because I still love it and the way counterpoint makes my brain/hands feel

Welcome to ABF. I saw you’re a newbie om Pianonworld. It’s nice to be here.....inspiring....but for all: have fun at the keys...

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
S
S
I am a musican and since from my childhood I really like the xxxtentacion now their album of xxxtentacion store.I really want to make a album like xxxtenatcion in near future in 2021.That is my ultimate goal at that time.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello all. I have played very little over the past 4 years, and was only a inconsistent beginner before that. I have somehow found some mojo again this past week and am keen to get back into things.

As for specific goals, not really sure. loydb’s second one sounds good so I’ll start with that. Be able to do basic but solid comp-ing through any fake book sheet it any key, and as a stretch goal I’ll put to take a basic solo for a turn as well. Id also like to make some passable and recordable attempts at Rondo Alla Turca and Maple Leaf Rag.

Good luck and happy new year all.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
2020 was a challenging year, but piano-wise it was a good year for me. I have participated in two Zoom piano groups, and have become much more comfortable performing in front of others. One group is a weekly gathering of virtual friends to practice what we are working on. It has been really good for my confidence. The second group is once a month and is more performance oriented.

My goals for 2021 are:

1. Continue building my repertoire of pieces that I have played and forgotten in the past. I started on this in 2020, but I want to bring back some more challenging pieces this year: Mozart Sonata in G K283, Beethoven Sonata in E 14-1, Chopin: Nocturne F minor 55-1, Mazurka 17-4; Villa-Lobos Na corda de viola, and Granados Oriental.

2. Learn 6 new pieces at my current level as well.

3. Continue with my weekly and monthly Zoom Piano Groups.

4. Get back to daily Scale and Arpeggio practice and increase speeds to 100 for scales, 72 for arpeggios.

5. Most importantly - HAVE FUN!!

L
L
Originally Posted by Johan B
Welcome to ABF. I saw you’re a newbie om Pianonworld. It’s nice to be here.....inspiring....but for all: have fun at the keys...

Kind regards,
Johan B

Thank you!

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
4. Get back to daily Scale and Arpeggio practice and increase speeds to 100 for scales, 72 for arpeggios.

5. Most importantly - HAVE FUN!!

SwissMS......no.5 is the best....... thumb thumb .......still going strong in 2021

Kind regards and best wishes for 2021
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
1. Keep at it. Add another year to my MOYD sticker, I'm going since 2014
2. Participate in at least 4 ABF recitals
3. Play a wide range of music. I think I will give the 40 Pieces a Year challenge another go, but I'm not formally taking it as a goal. If I find it's not working for me I'll let it go and I would be happy to meet this goal through playing through a wide range of pieces without necessarily learning them.
4. Revisit/refresh/maintain some repertoire. Ideally, maintain 2 or 3 pieces at a playable level at any given time (I have been historically terrible at this, but did better in 2020).
4a. Memorise a couple of repertoire pieces
5. ENJOY AND HAVE FUN - the most important one

[Linked Image]
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by barbaram
3. Play a wide range of music. I think I will give the 40 Pieces a Year challenge another go, but I'm not formally taking it as a goal. If I find it's not working for me I'll let it go and I would be happy to meet this goal through playing through a wide range of pieces without necessarily learning them.
4. Revisit/refresh/maintain some repertoire. Ideally, maintain 2 or 3 pieces at a playable level at any given time (I have been historically terrible at this, but did better in 2020).

Hi Barbaram,

You’re also one of those regular participants who are doing very well. At December 26 I will remind everyone of their goals. Good luck and kind regards,

Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 01/01/21 06:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
1. Complete the 40 pieces challenge and record myself and post. Never did a recording or shared it’s a little intimidating.
2. Stop picking pieces that are out of my reach and wasting time on them and then giving up.
3. Play from lead sheets
4. Practice consistently all year
5. Quit thinking things like “I can’t” and “I’ll never be that good” and be grateful for far I have made it.
6. Carefully select books and pieces and finish what I start. I have a bad habit starting things then losing interest or moving on to the next too soon.
7. Be strategic with practice sessions

Last edited by Sebs; 01/01/21 07:26 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by barbaram

If I could edit or delete and repost I would, because I've thought of another. I'll call it 1a as it's a specific habit piece to go along with MOYD:

1a. Aim to play a little bit, no matter how short the time, earlier in the day.
My official practice slot in our household routine is 8pm - 9pm, and while things may encroach and I might not put the full hour in, the habit is solid. This year, even though I now work from home full time and it's logistically easy, I didn't often play during the day. in previous years, on the days I *was* at home more I would often add other short sessions. So my goal is to cultivate the habit of some short sessions during the day.

[Linked Image]
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there,

Anybody more who wants to share with us the musically ambitions for 2021.....write it down.....

I will remember you at the 26th of december of this year, just as I did for years....... grin

Good luck and kind regards,

Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 01/03/21 05:49 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Johan B for this thread.

Since I no longer keep track of my practice time, my goals will be more vague and general.

In 2021 I'd like to:
1. Refresh my repertoire pieces regularly and force myself to record a mini-recital once in a while.
2. Play/read more Mozart and Beethoven. I don't know why I find them so difficult! And then there's Bach - I seem to have exhausted his feasible pieces, but he's still a great exercise and a joy.
3. Find more easy blues/jazz pieces to play. They're so much fun, even if I have to read every note and I will never be an improviser.
4. Stop apologising about my playing. I will no longer list all my mistakes and hesitations, if I decide to submit a recording, it means that I believe it's good enough. To heck with perfectionism!

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
My goal for 2021 is simple.
I will not beat up myself for not practicing every day. Because sometimes I cannot. Job, family, etc. Instead I will congratulate myself for practicing.

L
L
My main goal is to learn 10-12 pieces this year. I've always just practiced things that were too hard for me and gave up, so I haven't really ever learned anything except very easy things I could sightread. This year I'm planning on working through Hahn's Le Rossignol Eperdu, book 1. There are thirty pieces in the set, and about ten aren't really technically difficult, although they are in a more modern idiom than I had expected from Hahn, which makes memorizing them more difficult. I'd like to focus on this work this year, and lightly work on other things as a change of pace to not get burnt out on one thing and challenge myself with other kinds of pianism, since there isn't a lot of counterpoint in the Hahn.
One of my piano obsessions is music for left hand solo. I'm right at the cusp of being able to play Godowsky-Chopin left hand etudes (the tristesse one is doable for me right now, but I lack the control to really do justice for the ones I do practice like the ones for op 10 no. 1, 2,and 4 and op. 25 no. 1). So my goal is to learn at least one of the etudes all the way through, and to practice it not to the point where polishing it seems feasible.

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Sinophilia, Farmgirl and Lautreamont,

Nice ambitions, good luck, we will see at 26th of december where you succeeded in......but for all....have fun at the keys grin

Kind regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 01/04/21 02:14 PM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
2021 Goals

1. Work on a concerto piece (Grieg) with teacher. I think this is a unique opportunity, so I'd like to take advantage of it.

2. Challenge Piece - Sonata Pathétique. I learned Mvmt 2 and played it at my teacher's workshop, which was recorded. I'm happy to share if you want to review and trash ;0.

3. Continue with easier pieces, work on musicality, relaxation, reading efficiency (not sightreading!). Additionally, I feel like I have learn things over again with the new grand piano.

4. 1st quarter 2021 - Machine Learning II (SMU class) .. meaning I'll have less time to work on the above

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
2021 Goals

1. Work on a concerto piece (Grieg) with teacher. I think this is a unique opportunity, so I'd like to take advantage of it.

2. Challenge Piece - Sonata Pathétique. I learned Mvmt 2 and played it at my teacher's workshop, which was recorded. I'm happy to share if you want to review and trash ;0.

3. Continue with easier pieces, work on musicality, relaxation, reading efficiency (not sightreading!). Additionally, I feel like I have learn things over again with the new grand piano.

4. 1st quarter 2021 - Machine Learning II (SMU class) .. meaning I'll have less time to work on the above

Hi Sharp(C)yclist,

Nice plan ..... you will succeed and I will remind you. I also like No.3 .... relaxed playing ......Good luck thumb

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

I applaud your choice! (well, I am a machine learning scientist myself smile ). Incidentally, the possibilities in combining piano and machine learning are exciting and fertile ground for imaginative efforts.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Haven't got these fine tuned to the point where they're all actually specific, measurable, etc. yet, but here goes:

1. Join the Piano World Forums. Did it on January 1 - Yay!

2. Improve the condition of my repertoire. Over half the the 25 pieces need polishing, repairs, sections to be relearned, etc.

3. More practice in music arranging.

4. Use part of my sight reading practice to start reading through my sheet music collection.

5. Learn how to use the record feature on my new digital piano.

6. Submit at least one recording for the Adult Beginners Piano Bar.

Yamaha DGX500
Yamaha CLP-635

My other hobby - gardening for an audience. https://naturescaping.org/the-gardens/entrance-garden/
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission