2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
50 members (anotherscott, deadlymajesty, Ampersand, briangmoore, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, c++, Carey, 13 invisible), 490 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/latest/composer-insults/saint-saens/

I came across this pretty amusing link. Which ones hit the mark, and which ones most unfair?

I enjoyed #4, although it doesn’t say to who it was in reference. Beethoven : “I enjoyed you’re opera, perhaps I will set it to music.”

Tchaikovsky also comes across as having some strong opinions..

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Number 22 "Bach on the wrong notes." Prokofiev on Stravinsky for me - it's just a nice expression. I don't particularly agree with the sentiment - although.....

regards
Pete
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Some of these read like inside jokes, it's hard to tell if they were serious.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I'm surprised most of the best insults weren't included, including Britten's on Brahms:
Benjamin Britten said he played through his music every few years to remind himself how bad it was – and usually found it was worse.

In fact, poor ol' Brahms bore the brunt of other composers' insults, possibly because he was rather a prickly pear himself - "If there is anybody in the room I have failed to insult, I apologize." (Actually, I use that at parties I don't want to attend, which is basically all of them smirk .)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoy the reply of Max Reger to a critic. Paraphrased from memory:
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. Your critic is in front of me. In a few moments, it will be behind me."

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
My favorite is probably Rossini's comment on Wagner's music.

Here's another that's good, even if I totally don't agree with it (and since it's from memory, it may not be exactly right). Stravinsky: "Why is it that every time I hear music I don't like, it's by Villa-Lobos?"

There is a famous book of nastiness from critics regarding composers called "The Lexicon of Musical Invective" by Slonimsky. You might want to take a look at it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Brahms is well known for saying Bruckner's symphonies were "symphonic boa constrictors." The quote has always made me smile.

August Förster 215
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AaronSF
Brahms is well known for saying Bruckner's symphonies were "symphonic boa constrictors." The quote has always made me smile.
What does that mean? That the symphonies are suffocating? 😀 Or that they are an exotic species that may look dangerous but turns out it’s not poisonous and is rather calm?

As a huge fan of Bruckner I must say I’ve seen a lot of BS said about him from famous historical or living greats but I still don’t care at all!

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by patH
I enjoy the reply of Max Reger to a critic. Paraphrased from memory:
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. Your critic is in front of me. In a few moments, it will be behind me."

You got it! It's one of the few pieces of German I have committed to memory during my life: "Ich sitze in dem kleinsten Zimmer in meinem Hause. Ich habe Ihre Kritik vor mir. Im nächsten Augenblick wird sie hinter mir sein." Smallest room is obvious in context. "Kritik" probably translates best as "review".

SRF
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A couple more. This is Richard Taruskin on the last movement of Beethoven's 9th:

"The fourth movement . . . is in my opinion so monstrous and tasteless, and in its grasp of Schiller's Ode so trivial, that I cannot understand how a genius like Beethoven could have written it."

I'm not sure if this next one is authentic nor, if it is, who said it, and I'm not even sure it's meant as an insult, but whatever:

"All music by Benjamin Britten sounds like it was written for Peter Pears and all music performed by Peter Pears sounds as if it was written by Benjamin Britten."

SRF
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
I'm surprised most of the best insults weren't included, including Britten's on Brahms:
Benjamin Britten said he played through his music every few years to remind himself how bad it was – and usually found it was worse.

Yet when we talk about the Three B"s, Britten ain't one of them. Go figure. smile

Last edited by Carey; 01/08/21 12:30 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Joseph H. Choate tells of a conversation he once had with the late “Bill” Nye, in reference to a concert the humorist had attended during his first visit to London. “I had asked Mr. Nye,” said Mr. Choate, “what was his opinion of Wagner’s music.” With the most serious expression in the world, Nye replied:

“I must confess that his music is beyond my comprehension; but I always feel sure, when I hear it, that it is really much better than it sounds.”

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Bartok in his Concerto for Orchestra, 4th movement 'Intermezzo interotto', making fun of Shostakovitch's 7th symphony, this is quite a derision.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Richard Strauss, always wary of his Italian (and more popular) rivals like Puccini (Strauss even joked renaming himself Riccardo Straussino to earn a better living) wrote a pastiche tenor aria in the Rosenkavalier, 1st act: 'di rigor armato'. At it's repeat the tenor would have had the opportunity to sing the highest note ever, but just at that moment he is interrupted by the notary/solicitor, shouting very loudly: 'Morgengabe!', 'Dowry!', very revealing message...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I read somewhere (and of course now I can't find a reference) that Chopin's "wrong note" etude was somewhat of an inside joke between him and Liszt and was insulting pianists who couldn't properly synchronize their left and right hands.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I read somewhere (and of course now I can't find a reference) that Chopin's "wrong note" etude was somewhat of an inside joke between him and Liszt and was insulting pianists who couldn't properly synchronize their left and right hands.
This seems surprising to me since asynchronization with LH playing before RH was quite popular in the 19th century and practiced at least to some extent by many pianists.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't remember the persons' names or where I read it, but here's the story:

Pianist X pays a visit to composer Y. He notices some Mozart scores on Y's piano.
"What's all this for?" asks X. "I thought you composed from memory."

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
Pianist X pays a visit to composer Y. He notices some Mozart scores on Y's piano.
"What's all this for?" asks X. "I thought you composed from memory."

I love the vicious bitchiness of this one!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Rachmaninoff and Prokofiev weren't exactly the best of friends. At a reception after a memorial concert given for Scriabin in 1915 in which Rachmaninoff played one of Scriabin's piano Sonatas Prokofiev interrupted Rachmaninoff who was talking with some friends to congratulate Rachmaninoff on his performance. Rachmaninoff listened patiently while Prokofiev gave him some feedback and criticism of certain things he thought were wrong about the way Rachmaninoff had played the sonata, but finally capped off his critique with, "And yet, Sergei Vasilyevich, you did play quite well." To which Rachmaninoff remarked snidely with a sniff, "And you thought I'd play otherwise?" and then turned back to his friends to resume his conversation, leaving Prokofiev standing there with egg all over his face.

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44
F
F
Rachmaninoff once said, "Heard Nikisich conduct some bad serenade by Reger, and Carreño play some bad concerto by Dowell."*

* = "Dowell" refers to Edward MacDowell, a Romantic-era composer from the United States; that "bad" concerto, according to records, was the Second Piano Concerto.

The year when Rachmaninoff witnessed that concert was around 1906 or 1907. MacDowell was critically ill around that time, with a mental illness that had been ruining his life since 1904, and would eventually kill him in 1908.

Reger on the other hand, survived and continued composing until he died of a heart attack in 1916.

Pianist-in-training. Also a boy who hasn't grown up at heart. And a BIG BIG fan of Edward MacDowell.
I change my signature alot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,431
Posts3,084,688
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission