2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
26 members (Beowulf, CraiginNZ, Derek Mc, CyberGene, FloRi89, EB5AGV, Dave Horne, 4 invisible), 355 guests, and 445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mickey_
Wow, David B – just: wow!

Thanks. It's a fun song. It's the first song I've learned in the key of Ab. I'm not afraid of the black keys anymore. smile

Originally Posted by dogperson
I will second the ‘wow’. And then a question if you don’t mind: do you ever play the piano at your church services? If not, you should consider it; your congregation would live to hear you play 😊

This is crazy California and we haven't been able to hold church services since the beginning of March (everything has been online or via zoom).

When we were in church I would play a little bit in-between services when people aren't paying that close attention. Even though I've been a pastor for over 20 years and I'm quite comfortable in front large audiences, that doesn't translate to playing the piano. I get terrible performance anxiety. If I had to lead a congregational hymn I would most likely mess it up and it would become a distraction. I'll leave playing for the congregation to those who are more experienced, i.e., have been playing all their lives.

I'd like to be capable of playing more in church, but the ability just isn't there yet. I don't know if it ever will be, but I am happy playing in my limited capacity for now.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Hi David
I’ll remind you of what I need to remind myself before I play in public—
The performance is not about you... it is about the music 🎶

thinking of it this way makes all the difference in my anxiety level. ‘ Breathe deep and think of the music ‘

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dogperson
Hi David
I’ll remind you of what I need to remind myself before I play in public—
The performance is not about you... it is about the music 🎶

thinking of it this way makes all the difference in my anxiety level. ‘ Breathe deep and think of the music ‘

Thank you. I appreciate that.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Nice to hear and see your progress Dave.😎

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EPW
Nice to hear and see your progress Dave.😎

thumb

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Here is another song from the Praise and Gospel Course. This is a beautiful song called Precious Memories. Duane emphasized elements that would fit with this type of slower meditative song. There was a strong emphasis on dynamics in this lesson. Some of the techniques covered were:

White Noise Duane refers to this as space between the notes to give time for reflection.
Echos
Rolling chords
4/1 and 3/1 breakups
16, 32, and 64 note runs
Chord substitutions

The piano sound for this song is VSL’s Bösendorfer Imperial Grand. I did record the hymnal version of this song, but omitted it from the upload because my internet is very slow and the longer video would take several hours to upload. So here is just the arrangement.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
L
L
Wow! David B, what progress you are making so far! It definitely helps to keep the motivation up (for me)!! I am currently working on the 52 week course - but the dvd can be cumbersome (since it's an external drive). Thank you for posting your videos because then rather than attach my player for the nth time, since I heard Duanne's instructions at least 1-2 times, I can just listen to what you're doing in your videos when just needing that little reminder/hint on how to play certain sections. Awesome work so far! Keep on posting!

P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Beautiful playing (as always!), David. And that Imperial Grand sounds pretty darn good, too.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lx20
Wow! David B, what progress you are making so far! It definitely helps to keep the motivation up (for me)!! I am currently working on the 52 week course...

Wonderful!

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the 52-Week Crash Course was essential for me to go through. It provided the foundation for Duane's Praise and Gospel Course. I could not have started (as a beginner) with this course. Keep working at the 52 week course and it will payoff.

Originally Posted by pwl
Beautiful playing (as always!), David. And that Imperial Grand sounds pretty darn good, too.

Thank you for the encouragement. The Bösendorfer Imperial Grand is my favorite VSL offering (and I have them all blush ).

I wish I could sell all the others. I could use the money. smile

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
D
D
David B,

Referring to your liking the Bösendorfer Imperial Grand sound:

You might find it enjoyable to listen Albert Frantz, American-born concert pianist based in Vienna for 20+ years now. Albert is a Bösendorfer pianist and plays the Imperial Grand. All of the music and instruction on his www.key-notes.com website, as well as his recordings of Alkan and Beethoven, among others, are played on a that instrument.

John F
Pramberger 5'9" small grand
Roland HP 605
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course - Lesson 9
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Docc
David B,

Referring to your liking the Bösendorfer Imperial Grand sound:

You might find it enjoyable to listen Albert Frantz, American-born concert pianist based in Vienna for 20+ years now. Albert is a Bösendorfer pianist and plays the Imperial Grand...

I'll look him up. Thanks.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
D
D
Now 11 practice sessions, of my minimum 24, into Lesson 8 of the 52 week course. Any song in 3/4 time is getting played with block, broken, 2:1, and swing bass. Those in 4/4 time are being played in Alberti bass and 2:1. That is how I am interpreting Duane's guidance for trying things. It lengthens my practice sessions to 30-40 minutes, still a very comfortable duration for me, as long as I reduce to 2 sessions daily on the lessons. Brain fog sets in as my play migrates toward automaton.

It is interesting how easy it is to play a song that is written in a particular LH pattern, say 2:1, then how much more challenging it become to play it in Alberti, and vice versa. I can play either LH pattern fluidly when those notes are on the paper, but when trying to play a bass pattern that is different from what is written it becomes a challenge, even though I can play the different bass pattern fluidly if that pattern is written. Perhaps it is force of habit; perhaps concentration lapses (like that ever happens to a septuagenarian); perhaps not quite recognizing the chord fast enough in the subconscious yet in its various presentations on the written music. I also tend to lose my RH fluency when switching to a bass pattern that is not on the paper.

LH swing bass, playing the bass note 2 octaves below middle C, is a challenge. It is becoming better, and some passes through the songs slowly are ok, but I still have to feel around for the keys. Time will heal that deficiency. Interesting that when starting to work on swing bass last lesson, I tended to not reach far enough with the LH for the bass note; now that I am gaining some skill, my tendency is to reach too far for the bass note, except in a G7 chord where I still fall a little short and hit the A rather than the G a bit too often. I'm trying to transition from feeling the piano topography to find the notes to ingraining the feel of the jump. Slowly but surely, and any comments or tips are always welcomed.

John F
Pramberger 5'9" small grand
Roland HP 605
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course - Lesson 9
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
The emphasis in this lesson (I'm a bit behind on updating my progress) was on applying different styles to a song for different purposes. The first version of this hymn would be played softly in the background when people are praying or responding to an appeal. Duane calls this "Nature Style" because it's supposed to have more of an ebb and flow like the ocean waves or wind in the trees. Major 7ths and suspensions help to create that airy feel.

The second is more traditional with a constant pulse. Consistent swing notes and chording in the left hand help to create a syncopated rhythmic sound bringing a jovial feel to this somewhat solemn hymn. This could be played at the end of a service as people are leaving. The constant rhythm would also be more appropriate for congressional singing.

Thankfully, all the techniques used in these arrangements were covered in the 52 Week Crash Course. The emphasis in this this lesson was more on stylistic approaches rather than technical treatments. That's why I would not recommend this course before the 52 Week Crash Course for a beginner.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Sounds great David. I always look forward to listening to your progress. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EPW
Sounds great David. I always look forward to listening to your progress. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Peace

Everything is well here. Thank you for the kind wishes and affirmation.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bosendorfer VC
by wg73 - 04/20/21 03:00 AM
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Help with old hardware - MusicPad Pro Freehand
by ElmerJFudd - 04/19/21 09:22 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,405
Posts3,084,312
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission