2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (Beansparrow, Greta99, FrankCox, colinstead, bilb, johanibraaten, FloRi89, Harpuia, 5 invisible), 404 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3064309 01/02/21 04:21 PM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hello and happy New Year.

I am working on Linus and Lucy.. I am at the second solo part (see page 6 of 8 in the link below) and I see all these small note heads in the left hand (along with regular sized notes forming chords). Does anyone know what they are there for (the small single notes for the left hand)? Do I play them? If so, why aren't they regular sized notes? Why so small? Are they grace notes? How are they supposed to be played? In some of the measures it seems impossible to play those small notes AND the regular sized chords at the same time in the left hand. Any insight into this? I've never seen this before.

This is the score I'm using. You can forward through and see what I'm talking about (it's on page 6).

https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/vince-guaraldi/linus-and-lucy-peanuts-theme/MN0104331

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I gave you my answer in your original post, thus:

They are for the bass player.

If you haven't got one, you'll have to play them yourself on the piano. Don't forget you can use your RH to play some (or all) of the notes in those LH chords, if it's free.

I see that others have given you similar answers in that thread too.

Are you looking for more explanations on how to play them, or are you unhappy with those answers you got?

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
OK - do yourself a big favor. There is a link on the site to other arrangements - none of which have the small notes. Find and use one of those.

This particular arrangement is misrepresented as an "instrumental solo for piano." If you play both the small and large notes on page 6 up to speed, the piece is pretty much unplayable. You could leave out the small notes and only play the large note chords, but that would be awkward and sound strange. On the other hand, you could simply play the small notes and omit the large note LH chords - but that might sound a tad strange as well. Or you could simply skip that section altogether and try to transition back to the re-occurrence of the main theme.

None of this is really worth the effort - so you'd be better off learning another arrangement.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hi Bennivis -- Thank you for the response. So why would they put notes for a bass in a piano solo? As Carey mentioned it was advertised as an "Instrumental Solo" for piano solo on musicnotes.com
So those small notes are NOT supposed to be played by the pianist but by a bass player?
Thank you both for your responses. Very helpful.

B
B
Originally Posted by ZanderChicago
Hi Bennevis -- Thank you for the response. So why would they put notes for a bass in a piano solo? As Carey mentioned it was advertised as an "Instrumental Solo" for piano solo on musicnotes.com
So those small notes are NOT supposed to be played by the pianist but by a bass player?
That's right - that arrangement is obviously not designed for a solo pianist and should not have been advertised as such. If you bought it, you should complain to musicnotes.com and they should allow you to get a real solo piano version for free. Send them an email about it (and don't take no for an answer).

An experienced pianist will easily be able make his own convincing solo piano arrangement from the version you have - by rearranging the LH notes, redistributing notes between hands etc -, but you as the customer has the right to get what you paid for.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
M
M
I have another piano arrangement of the same piece that appears identical in that passage except that sizes of the notes in question are reversed. It never occurred to me to think that this was a defect in the arrangement, or that I wasn't getting what I'd paid for. It's just additional information that one is free to ignore or, with a bit more work, incorporate for a performance that sounds more like the original.

As for demanding a free copy without the extra notes - sure, go for it, we should all be trying to spread laughter and good cheer.

B
BDB Offline
B
I have a story about tuning for a Cecil Taylor solo concert once. I got there early because he liked to practice a lot. But that day, he decided to rest in his hotel room. However, his bassist showed up, and practiced while I was tuning.

Anyway, you can leave the small notes out, or transpose them so they are easier to play. There is a lot of music like that. It is no worse than playing the Concord Sonata without a viola and flute.

Semipro Tech
B
B
Originally Posted by BDB
Anyway, you can leave the small notes out, or transpose them so they are easier to play. There is a lot of music like that. It is no worse than playing the Concord Sonata without a viola and flute.
Well, that's the thing - it doesn't work without the bass notes, unlike in the Concord where those obbligato parts aren't obligatory. The small bass notes supply the essential harmonic basis: without it, it's like singing a SATB Bach chorale with the bass part missing.

According to Carey, musicnotes has other arrangements which don't have that problem on that page. If I were the OP, I'd demand a free download of one of them. The blurb on the linked page clearly states that the arrangement under discussion is for solo piano, with no mention of an extra bass part.

BTW, I once bought a book of piano arrangements of movie themes as a present for a friend, only to discover that a few of the arrangements were actually lead sheets, not fleshed-out full piano arrangements. If I'd bought it for myself, I'd have kept it, as I have no difficulty playing from lead sheets and improvising the accompaniments myself, but as it was for a young friend who doesn't have that skill, I returned it for a full refund - because nowhere on the blurb and cover was it mentioned that the contents were anything other than music "arranged for piano solo".

Z
OP Offline
Z
Hi Bennevis and everyone...
What do you think of the HDpiano version of Linus and Lucy? This one is a true piano solo. Although, some of the parts are a little different than the one I have.
https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0180652

B
B
What do you think of the HDpiano version of Linus and Lucy? This one is a true piano solo. Although, some of the parts are a little different than the one I have.
That looks better as a pure piano solo than your previous sample, from what little I can see of it.

Originally Posted by bennevis
That looks better as a pure piano solo than your previous sample, from what little I can see of it.
Ditto. And don't be concerned that "some of the parts are a little different" than the one you have. There is no definitive arrangement. If this one is too difficult, you can find another. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
F
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
F
https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Vince-Guaraldi/dp/0634029797/

This might be a better deal. It has Linus and Lucy and several other things as well.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
J
J
Sorry, most of the page was blocked out saying "preview" so I wasn't looking at the right place.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
joe3701:

I don’t see how you can consider the notes in question as “grace notes” when
1) they aren’t written as such and
2) many of them (pp. 6 and 7) are isolated quarter-notes on the beat with nothing else in the left hand on that particular beat. There are several of these notes which are not followed by “main notes” which you suggest is one of the functions of grace notes; as isolated left-hand bass notes on the beat they can hardly be considered “grace notes.”

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
J
Originally Posted by BruceD
joe3701:

I don’t see how you can consider the notes in question as “grace notes” when
1) they aren’t written as such and
2) many of them (pp. 6 and 7) are isolated quarter-notes on the beat with nothing else in the left hand on that particular beat. There are several of these notes which are not followed by “main notes” which you suggest is one of the functions of grace notes; as isolated left-hand bass notes on the beat they can hardly be considered “grace notes.”

Regards,

As stated earlier:
Sorry, most of the page was blocked out saying "preview" so I wasn't looking at the right place.

S
S
Originally Posted by FrankCox
https://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Vince-Guaraldi/dp/0634029797/

This might be a better deal. It has Linus and Lucy and several other things as well.

Actually, the version of "Linus and Lucy" in that book is shortened and a bit simplified compared to the version in this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Vince-Guaral...mp;qid=1609712891&s=books&sr=1-1

I have them both. I got the Christmas book one because it also has the song "Christmas is Coming," which is missing in the other book. And you have to be careful when you buy the Christmas book because some versions of it are VERY simplified, and it's not necessarily clear by the cover that that is the case. That one you linked to is the most robust version.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Any mega sheet music books?
by michael wazowski - 04/20/21 03:56 AM
Bosendorfer VC
by wg73 - 04/20/21 03:00 AM
Excited to find Piano World forums
by SunnyKeys - 04/20/21 01:21 AM
Windows Audio Low Latency Mode in UVI Workstation
by OzarkCDN - 04/20/21 12:30 AM
First jam session tips
by Utkonos - 04/19/21 09:47 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,405
Posts3,084,313
Members101,246
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission