2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 47 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ralph1
Originally Posted by AndyE
What I am asking is if other VPC1 owners have experienced a similar thing or did mine miss something during manufacturing?

To answer your question, my VPC1 does the same thing on many but not all keys and I bought it new a year ago. I find it amusing and certainly not worth worrying about.

Exactly as mine, but my unit is a 2016 one. So we are safe knowing it does not get worse with time and it does not affect playing.

BTW in my case I checked it because some Roberts Piano videos commented that, on acoustics, it was a sign of need if lubrication. But it seems the VPC1 is a different beast on this aspect.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
A
A
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Hi all. Since I bought my VPC1 used on 7/2020, I found that some white keys, when lifted, kept that position (i.e. about 1mm over its usual resting place) while most returned to their original position.

I have seen some videos on acoustic pianos which comment that problem is due to lack of lubrication. So I wonder if someone has been on same situation and has solved it.

Probably due to my playing level (low!) I don't feel a difference between keys due to this, but surely it is and, as I want to open my VPC1 for a thoroughly cleaning, I think it would be great to fix this same time.

It seems we are alone. The best answers I’ve had are “don’t lift the keys up” and “why would anyone want to lift the keys up?“

There may be a logical explanation for the keys not falling back after being lifted. There is friction between each key bushing and the key pin it is mounted around. For reference, look at the first picture in U3piano's post above (or the first picture in Gombessa's post immediately following u3piano's post). The little red bits sticking up from the top of the wooden key are the tops of a flat piece of felt which lines the vertical hole (a rectangular hole) that the balance rail pin passes through. In those pics, you can just see the very top of the balance rail pin sticking out just slightly higher than the top edge of the red felt bushing. The felt is there to protect the wood of the key and the steel of the pin from wearing each other out over time from the constant rocking motion that accompanies each key press. Felt is very durable in this regard.

The portion of the balance rail pin that you don't see, because it is always inside the bushed hole, is constantly cleaned by the slight abrasive action of the felt rubbing back and forth as the key gets played. In the absence of some foreign substance entering the hole, this hidden part of the balance rail pin stays fairly clean and smooth, and, therefore, rather friction free.

In contrast, that short section of the balance rail pin that is always sticking out of the top of the hole, is more exposed to the elements, and never gets the benefit of having the felt bushing rub on it. As a result, it can accumulate small amounts of foreign substances present in the air, or even from slight spills that don't make it down into the hole. In short, it naturally tarnishes more than the part of the pin that is constantly protected inside the hole and between the felt bushing pieces.

So, when you lift the key, the felt bushings now come into contact with the more tarnished top of the balance rail pin, and less in contact with the smoother, cleaner surface of the lower, hidden part of the pin. When you release the lifted key, the additional friction from the tarnished part of the pin coming into play can cause the key to remain elevated. And, so lifted, the key is also more prone to rotate around its long axis, leaving it to fall with the vertical pin no longer parallel to the hole it must fall through. So, additional friction is introduced by the misalignment of the pin and the felt bushed hole it must pass through. The key is not heavy, and these types of very slight additional friction can keep the key elevated.

This is not a problem to worry about. In the absence of an invasion of some tarnishing substance, the felt bushings will tend to keep the pins clean so that there will be no increase in friction during the key's normal course of travel through its normal operating range.
Thank you so much for your very detailed explanation. I’m so grateful that you took the time to explain all that. I’m really pleased to hear that it is natural behaviour and nothing to worry about. I do love my VPC1 but wanted to be sure it hadn’t arrived with a fault. Your post has helped put that behind me and now can totally concentrate on just playing this beautiful controller.
Virtual high five to you. ✋🏻

A
A
What I am asking is if other VPC1 owners have experienced a similar thing or did mine miss something during manufacturing?

To answer your question, my VPC1 does the same thing on many but not all keys and I bought it new a year ago. I find it amusing and certainly not worth worrying about.
Thank you Ralph1 for your reply. That’s what I was hoping to hear. It’s obviously normal behaviour and life is cool and breezy again. 👍🏻

A
A

Exactly as mine, but my unit is a 2016 one. So we are safe knowing it does not get worse with time and it does not affect playing.

BTW in my case I checked it because some Roberts Piano videos commented that, on acoustics, it was a sign of need if lubrication. But it seems the VPC1 is a different beast on this aspect.
Thank you for your help and sound advice. You are a gentleman.

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I have got quite a number of VSTs lately, all of them used with my VPC1. And, lately, I am finding that VI-Labs Ravenscroft 275 is becoming my favourite, even compared to more expensive VSTs, as the VSL Synchron Bossies.

I know my preferences may shift in the future and not all days is the same, nor all music excels with just one VST, but I am curious about other users of that VST along the VPC1. I find they are a pretty good match. BTW, I tend to use the Pianoteq curve for it, but sometimes I switch to other ones.

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I have got quite a number of VSTs lately, all of them used with my VPC1. And, lately, I am finding that VI-Labs Ravenscroft 275 is becoming my favourite, even compared to more expensive VSTs, as the VSL Synchron Bossies.

I know my preferences may shift in the future and not all days is the same, nor all music excels with just one VST, but I am curious about other users of that VST along the VPC1. I find they are a pretty good match. BTW, I tend to use the Pianoteq curve for it, but sometimes I switch to other ones.

I owned it before but I sold it to another pianoworld member because I didn't like the tone. Back then I didn't have a vpc-1 so I can't speak about the combination.

I have thought about trying it again since the playability is great and I didn't even have a soft/una corda pedal back then, I have read people praise the una corda on Ravenscroft.

But, when I listen to it on YouTube it reminds me of what I didn't like about it. The tone just doesn't do it for me. I'm still really happy with the vsl piano's. Sometimes I try to play my other libraries but it always ends up with switching back to vsl after just a couple of minutes.

But I love vi labs, they know how to make a real good, highly playable vst. I like the modern u much better than the vsl upright. I would love for vi labs to come out with some new vst's such as steinways yamahas bösendorfers or fazioli's of the same quality of ravenscroft and modern u, so much potential!

K
K
Had one. Wasnt that impressed with it. Action is unrealistically heavy.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by kokatla

It's quite personal I guess.

After a couple of months I'm so used to it it actually feels quite light under my fingers, and the last thing I would want is it to be any lighter.

Also while it now feels pretty light to me, I know it really isn't, and I like that fact because I think this makes playing any other (acoustic) piano easier, as it's always easier to switch to a lighter action than the other way around. So other than a great controller, I see the vpc-1 as a very good practice machine.

EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by kokatla

It's quite personal I guess.

After a couple of months I'm so used to it it actually feels quite light under my fingers, and the last thing I would want is it to be any lighter.

Also while it now feels pretty light to me, I know it really isn't, and I like that fact because I think this makes playing any other (acoustic) piano easier, as it's always easier to switch to a lighter action than the other way around. So other than a great controller, I see the vpc-1 as a very good practice machine.

+1

Since I have my VPC1, switching to play my Yamaha U3 has been a breeze. Previously it was not like that and I ended playing the U3 too hard until readapted to it. So, IMO, the VPC1 is a very good practising tool and a great VST controller.

Of course, YMMV!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
M
M
Hi all! I've had my vpc1 for a while. I use a clunky old laptop with Pianoteq and it worked well. I wanted switch to my Surface Go 2 with the following specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-8100Y CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.61 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)

I downloaded the Pianoteq trial and ASIO4All and could not get things to work. ASIO4All started sending windows notifications so fast that they can't even be read (about 2-3 per second) and the Surface got hot to the touch almost immediately.

Will my hardware not support this configuration? Did I miss a step somewhere? I'm willing to invest a little in getting things set up (including other software if that would work better), but I'm not sure what the next step would be.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Makalajala2; 01/16/21 10:02 AM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends!

So here's a video of me playing something on the VPC1 with Ivory II's American Concert D as the software. Details are in the video description. Hope you like it! smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExhcvhhGJjs

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by David Lai
Hi friends!

So here's a video of me playing something on the VPC1 with Ivory II's American Concert D as the software. Details are in the video description. Hope you like it! smile

Love it, spectacular. I got just lost in the listening. Well done to you both.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Makalajala2
Hi all! I've had my vpc1 for a while. I use a clunky old laptop with Pianoteq and it worked well. I wanted switch to my Surface Go 2 with the following specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-8100Y CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.61 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)

I downloaded the Pianoteq trial and ASIO4All and could not get things to work. ASIO4All started sending windows notifications so fast that they can't even be read (about 2-3 per second) and the Surface got hot to the touch almost immediately.

Will my hardware not support this configuration? Did I miss a step somewhere? I'm willing to invest a little in getting things set up (including other software if that would work better), but I'm not sure what the next step would be.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forum!

Pianoteq uses a lot of computer processing power. Many cpus are not up to the task.

Go to the Pianoteq website, then to the FAQs, then find the FAQ on the minimum processor performance required to successfully run Pianoteq. In that discussion, they reference a comprehensive list of cpu processors and their benchmark performance levels. And, they tell you the minimum requirements for Pianoteq. This way you can make sure a certain processor is sufficient before you purchase one. You should be able to find yours in the listings and see if it is sufficient.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Ralphiano; 01/17/21 06:06 PM.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
@ David Lai:

Bravo!

That was great music making. I am sure you enjoyed it - I certainly did in listening.

Thanks for sharing.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
EB5AGV Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi friends!

Hi David, I am so glad you are enjoying the VPC1 and playing it so nicely thumb

Great work, you deserve plenty of subscribers. I am the one who made for the first 11 smile

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Hi friends!

Hi David, I am so glad you are enjoying the VPC1 and playing it so nicely thumb

Great work, you deserve plenty of subscribers. I am the one who made for the first 11 smile

Thank you so much!!! smile I enjoyed the music-making process tremendously. Hopefully I can get to make more videos in the future with the VPC1! wink

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Wow, David. That was awesome!

What I find to the be greatest deficiency of the VPC1 is the lack of tactile feedback during the keystroke. I do not feel the same control over dynamics that is felt on an acoustic piano. But, you seem to have that so well under control. It is really encouraging to see and hear that such fine dynamic control is attainable with this keyboard.

It was a pleasure listening and watching.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi friends!

That's beautiful David!

Wonderful playing from you both.

I'm curious, how was this recorded/performed?
Did you both play live simultaneously, or were the parts recorded separately?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi friends!

OMG, if that doesn't sell a prospective customer on the VPC1, nothing will. Fantastic! And so beautiful.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pwl
OMG, if that doesn't sell a prospective customer on the VPC1, nothing will. Fantastic! And so beautiful.

Haha, I love your perspective! smile I have to say that I had known the VPC1 too late, but better late than never, right? smile

Page 13 of 47 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 46 47

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission