2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 181 of 237 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 236 237
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
I had the same issue (light key strokes may or may not trigger a sound in a couple of octaves around the middle C area) on my used N3 after it was delivered. It took a while for a Yamaha tech to come by and replace the velocity sensor circuit board and recalibrate everything before it worked again. But then mine was a used 5 year old piano when it happened.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by GeneZ
I'm sooo disappointed with my new N1X...

Here's my story...

Man alive! How disappointing. Hopefully someone can come before New Years. Hope it gets sorted out soon (like Monday).

God Bless,
David

G
G
Originally Posted by Volusiano
I had the same issue (light key strokes may or may not trigger a sound in a couple of octaves around the middle C area) on my used N3 after it was delivered. It took a while for a Yamaha tech to come by and replace the velocity sensor circuit board and recalibrate everything before it worked again. But then mine was a used 5 year old piano when it happened.
Uhh. That does sound like an easy fix... I hope I'll get an experienced Yamaha tech guy to fix it.
Gene.

G
G
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
I am sorry too. An easy diagnostic is to look between the keys. We should see the red light of the optical sensors. If a part of the keyboard is disconnected, perhaps there are no light at this side.
I'm not sure how to check for the red sensor light. Do I need to remove the fallboard first?
Gene.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
No, between the white and the red keys (the gap is more important than between two white keys), we can see a red light.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 12/26/20 12:49 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
No, between the white and the red keys (the gap is more important than between two white keys), we can see a red light.
If it's the same as on my NU1 it's more easily seen if the room lighting is low or dark.

G
G
Originally Posted by David B
Man alive! How disappointing. Hopefully someone can come before New Years. Hope it gets sorted out soon (like Monday).
Quick update: I got a first response from Yamaha support. They told me that a tech have to come out and fix the hammer/key sensors. I should contact the nearest Yamaha support center...
I tried to do this, but during lockdown and holiday season nobody is available or response to my request. So, it seems that I have to wait another week and will to try to get someone on the phone next Monday (January 4th...). And then I still have to wait for the next free slot a tech guy will be available to come out to my place, I guess...

Gene.

[quote=David B]
...during lockdown and holiday season nobody is available or response to my request. So, it seems that I have to wait another week and will to try to get someone on the phone next Monday (January 4th...). And then I still have to wait for the next free slot a tech guy will be available to come out to my place, I guess...

Saddened, but not too surprised about the delay. In this covid era nobody wants either (a) to have someone come into your house, or (b) to GO into someone's house.

Hope you get it sorted out soon and well!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
As for having someone come into my house ...
Originally Posted by Neil Rosenberg
In this covid era nobody wants either (a) to have someone come into your house, or (b) to GO into someone's house.
I find that less problematic than visiting a retail shop and being subjected to dozens of people. Better one stranger in my house than to join the multitude in a public place.

I had four movers at my old home packing and loading a month ago.
Four others unloaded at the destination a few days later.

Early this month a guy came to estimate construction of a new bathroom.
Another one came from another company a few days later for another estimate.

A plumber came to install two new toilets the next week.

Ikea delivered some furniture items earlier this month.

A handyman came today to estimate the bathroom construction.
And another one came by later in the day.

Also today ... two guys delivered and installed a new washer and dryer.

In all cases I was masked ... and the one or two or four workmen were masked.

Small numbers of people ... good.
Large numbers ... bad.

Originally Posted by MacMacMac
As for having someone come into my house ...

Small numbers of people ... good.
Large numbers ... bad.

We each do what we think is best. I'm on the more paranoid side, having asthma (higher risk). Off topic, returning to the regularly scheduled program...

I'm enjoying the N1X immensely, not only as a piano but also playing any/all music via bluetooth from an Android tablet. This device has become "music central" for our family room. Unexpected boon.

H
H
Just wanted to give a HUGE shout out to Neil for the deflectors that he made and sent to me. There is a noticeable difference in the sound, creating a more intimate experience. Thanks, Neil!

A
A

Here's my story. Since two months I'm stalking this forum, since I decided to invest into a new DP.

I tried several different pianos (from acoustic U1/U3 with silence mode and TA), but finally was sticked with the terrific action of the N1X. The entire instrument (action, sound system, speakers, headphones sounds etc.) blew me away and I felt into deep love with this beauty. So, I ordered one at my local store which actually made me good price too.

Delivery was perfectly timed one day before Christmas, so my Holidays seemed to be to perfect. But then came the big disappointment...

Just after the shipping guys left I started to try out my new beast and guess what: a couple of keys do not work correctly. Between A3 and C5 most keys do not work at low force, only if I hit them pretty hard. Completely unplayable. I already rebooted the device a couple of times, but a clean initialization did not fix the problem. I can easily play the harpsicord as it only have fixed velocity, but any piano sounds suffer badly from missing tones during the silent play.

I traced the MIDI messages and got the confirmation, that these faulty keys do not send out correct MIDI velocity data. At low force the velocity data is alway "1".

I already contacted my dealer and Yamaha support, but obviously everybody is in Holiday mood and nobody was available to fix my problem over the holidays... So, I have to be patient... I'm so disappointed.

Will keep you guys updated...

Happy Holidays,
Gene.

Hi there. Make sure you have that technician taking a look. Mine didn't have that problem but others, and when he went and tried to fix that by doing a general regulation ( which my dealer didn't do after sale and probably yours neither) he found some stiffness that got resolved and now is as smooth as a Yamaha action can be, which by the way ain't the smother around, keep that in mind.

He/she should be able to fix the sensors also. This things need regulation, they are delicate as a real piano, they should be regulated and tested after installed at the buyer's place. And don't try and do it yourself, about adding problems and losing warranty.

A
A
Today I discovered than the AG is not definitely to be to near to a wall. I was experiencing some piercing sounds coming to my left ear and in trying to find a solution I tried to push it away like 1 feet ( 30cm) or more from the wall and it magically sounded better, more natural. Turns out is just the sound bouncing on the wall. Alas it lost some power, bass mostly but it bothers way less my ears, I have Tinnitus with some degree of hyperacusis, which in part I think those piercing sounds helped get delevoped or worsen.

So, question is, why isn't so important having the sound directed straight to you with those thingys if even on a Grand Piano it doesn't work like that, maybe on a upright? On my case it would just make matters worst I believe. Those speakers are powerful and not to be played with or changed in any way I think.

Any of you experienced the same? I know most of you play with headphones.

Last edited by Alexander Acosta; 12/29/20 09:47 PM.
Originally Posted by hlm3
Just wanted to give a HUGE shout out to Neil for the deflectors that he made and sent to me. There is a noticeable difference in the sound, creating a more intimate experience. Thanks, Neil!

Hi there and glad it worked well for you. I'm enjoying my own set, but for sure it's a matter of personal preference.

I suppose the upwards pointing N1X speakers are designed to mimic an AG. For me, and perhaps for others as well, I like to be more "in" the sound, rather than hearing it reflected by some distant wall or ceiling. When I'm sitting at the keyboard with the deflectors in place, the piano sounds crystal clear with great stereo imaging.

Regards, and thanks for the kind words.

Neil

A
A

Here's my story. Since two months I'm stalking this forum, since I decided to invest into a new DP.

I tried several different pianos (from acoustic U1/U3 with silence mode and TA), but finally was sticked with the terrific action of the N1X. The entire instrument (action, sound system, speakers, headphones sounds etc.) blew me away and I felt into deep love with this beauty. So, I ordered one at my local store which actually made me good price too.

Delivery was perfectly timed one day before Christmas, so my Holidays seemed to be to perfect. But then came the big disappointment...

Just after the shipping guys left I started to try out my new beast and guess what: a couple of keys do not work correctly. Between A3 and C5 most keys do not work at low force, only if I hit them pretty hard. Completely unplayable. I already rebooted the device a couple of times, but a clean initialization did not fix the problem. I can easily play the harpsicord as it only have fixed velocity, but any piano sounds suffer badly from missing tones during the silent play.

I traced the MIDI messages and got the confirmation, that these faulty keys do not send out correct MIDI velocity data. At low force the velocity data is alway "1".

I already contacted my dealer and Yamaha support, but obviously everybody is in Holiday mood and nobody was available to fix my problem over the holidays... So, I have to be patient... I'm so disappointed.

Will keep you guys updated...

Happy Holidays,
Gene.

Coming back to this. I had that problem after the technician left my house the other day and turns out the bar where the hammer sensors are attached wasn't all the way down, I just adjusted the screw! But bare in mid I saw a couple of times how he safely took everything apart so I was confident, I'd suggest you wait for the technician.

G
G
Originally Posted by Alexander Acosta
Coming back to this. I had that problem after the technician left my house the other day and turns out the bar where the hammer sensors are attached wasn't all the way down, I just adjusted the screw! But bare in mid I saw a couple of times how he safely took everything apart so I was confident, I'd suggest you wait for the technician.
I'd love to fix it by myself, but I will resist... I studied the N3 service manual (the only AG service manual I found so far) and agreed that fixing this beast is kind of an artwork...
Of course waiting for a repair is still bothering me and being patient is not my strengh, but I don't think I have much choices...

Gene.

T
T
Hi,

I ordered my Yamaha N1X a couple of weeks ago. Apparently I've got quite a wait for it but got it for a very good price here in the UK from Bonners so am excited for whenever it will come.

I've been reading this thread and have some good insights on what to expect from my new instrument!

Thanks

M
mwf Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
How much? £6300 I'm guessing, I think that's the cheapest you can get it for.

Can anyone tell me if the clp785 is an competitor to the N1X? Does the clp. Have a better speaker system?

What do you guys think about the speaker system on the n1x? How would you rate it?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The N1X has a grand piano action and the CLP785 has a folded simplified action. They are not in the same range of piano. The only real competitor of the N1X is the Kawai NV10.

I mostly use the N1X with headphones... I have not enough use of speakers to answer.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 01/02/21 04:35 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
T
T
I paid £6500 but also get a stool and headphones with that. My local store is £7800 and that's just for the piano alone.

Page 181 of 237 1 2 179 180 181 182 183 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission