2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (Dave Horne, A789, anotherscott, DSC, Greta99, Boboulus, Animisha, clothearednincompo, DPAfficionado, 11 invisible), 335 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Dear all,
I am looking to buy a NEW Baldwin BP-178 piano as a birthday gift for a family member; delivered to Dallas from anywhere within Texas or nearby states.

I am a bit clueless on how to start the search for dealers etc. I have obviously googled and found some names and contacted them already (awaiting responses).
However, since its my first ever purchase without any background in piano I am not sure I have inquired to the right people/dealers.

Could you kind and helpful people guide me in the right direction and provide me with some names of dealers in Texas or nearby states for this piano to be delivered in Dallas?
(I am not sure if you can purchase from another city/state or not, dealership territory issue here?, not sure...)
Also, I need some advice on the pricing of this piano. I read about MSRP/SMP on the internet in general as well as on this forum. What is the reasonable SMP for this piano and is negotiation in price is acceptable practice in buying piano?

Please feel free to add anything you might feel useful for the first time piano buyer.

Thanks in advance for your responses/assistance.

Kind regards,
Sparkling1234

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Please do yourself a big favor and DON'T buy this piano.

It is of the lowest quality and you will regret it. I know people think "Baldwin" is a good American brand. It was. About 50+ years ago. The brand has been purchased by a Chinese manufacturer and they slap the name on very low quality mass produced "pianos."

Instead, please find a used Yamaha grand (model G1, GC1, C1, [all 5'3"; increasing in quality from G1]. G2, GC2, C2 [all 5'8"; increasing in quality from G2]) in your area. Have a qualified registered piano technician (they will have RPT next to their name) check it out. It will be less expensive that the Baldwin.

It will be a far more reliable and better sounding instrument that will be very durable. You can research the Yamaha brand and the models on this site. Yamaha is known for the highest quality manufacturing in the industry and it is the number one brand chosen by artists of all genres.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
FYI, I've never played a modern, Chinese-made Baldwin and can't comment on their quality. To be fair, however, a search of this site for that model clearly shows that they're not universally disrespected, here.

DFW Piano Gallery had some awhile back. I haven't been there in some time so I'm not sure about availability.

Your family friend really needs to play the piano you intend to buy. There is much variation in touch and tone between individual pianos and personal preference really comes into play.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
The brand has been purchased by a Chinese manufacturer

This is false. Baldwin is owned by Gibson Guitars.

“If it sounds good, it IS good.”
― Duke Ellington
!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

According to the Baldwin website they did open a factory in China, but they are still owned by Gibson Guitars.

That said, Bill makes a good point. Yamaha have a very good reputation for making high quality musical instruments, and if you can get a Yamaha at a similar price I know which I'd go for (Yamaha).

As other posters have said your friend really needs to play the instrument.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yanagisawa AW01 (alto Sax)
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)

DipMus(Open)
Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing.
Retired!

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by JazzPianoOnline
Please do yourself a big favor and DON'T buy this piano.

It is of the lowest quality and you will regret it. I know people think "Baldwin" is a good American brand. It was. About 50+ years ago. .

It is highly doubtful. I first met Baldwin in 1972 in Israel, where I moved from Latvia, spoiled by old German-made pianos plus and Steinways. Baldwin's piano made a very miserable impression.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
I don't know about Baldwin's product line these days. I did just Google the Baldwin BP-178 and it seems to be well above $20,000. I don't know if this was US dollars or not.

I'm planning on checking out the Yamaha CLP-785 after recovering from surgery and being able to drive again (I need to drive out to the local Yamaha showroom and actually play the piano before buying it). The CLP-785 is around $6,000 I believe. My current "living room" piano is a Yamaha F01 - I've played it for about 6 years and it's holding up fine. I plan to give it to my sister if I do indeed buy the new CLP-785.

It appears this Baldwin is an acoustic piano. My experience over my lifetime is that people rarely have their acoustic pianos tuned often enough, giving them that mushy sound. Especially bad when playing more elaborate chords as in jazz piano.

You should do your homework before spending the amount of money. Read reviews. Actually play the pianos in question.

Last edited by indigo_dave; 01/01/21 09:03 AM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Sparkling1234
Dear all,
Also, I need some advice on the pricing of this piano. I read about MSRP/SMP on the internet in general as well as on this forum. What is the reasonable SMP for this piano and is negotiation in price is acceptable practice in buying piano?

Not sure for this model, but yes, negotiation is an acceptable practice. If they can't move on price they can often throw in a nice bench. You can always make an offer and see what they say. Keep in mind piano shops don't rake in tons on huge markups and they have a lot of overhead to cover too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Qualities Required for Piano
by Qazsedcft - 04/11/21 02:25 AM
Which direction should I go?
by PatG - 04/10/21 11:35 PM
Tuning hammer for tight spaces
by ThePianoTuna - 04/10/21 10:15 PM
Folding travel keyboard
by mojoe - 04/10/21 09:41 PM
Does replacing string change tone colour?
by tony3304 - 04/10/21 07:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,213
Posts3,080,960
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission