2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (anotherscott, c++, deadlymajesty, Ampersand, briangmoore, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, Carey, 13 invisible), 494 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3062460 12/29/20 12:37 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi everyone smile

I wanted to share with you a recording of a piece I worked together with my teacher in the past month. We have moved on already to a new one, and given we still have a very few days of 2020 (Beethoven's year), I though it would be a good idea to record it now smile . This is an easier arrangement of the first movement of Moonlight Sonata done by Hans-Guenter Heumann (this is why I call it my first "Beethoven" piece :P). It is the third full piece worked in parallel to my method's book since I started playing back in June. It was an interesting challenge, mainly to keep a steady tempo, to work on dynamics and phrasing, and of course because of the overall length of the piece. The latter made it difficult to record, but it was a very good exercise to train my focus when playing eek . I hope you enjoy it and would be more than happy to read your thoughts and comments on it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen to it. Wishing you all already a happy new year smile

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTaCa2B164][/url]

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I liked your performance and found it remarkable for two reasons. Firstly you have been playing since June (presumably as a new starter) and secondly that you memorised the piece. Well done.
I wonder how you would cope with the authentic score and played in the manner that Beethoven sets down on the paper.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Here's the link that works:

Beethoven

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by keff
I liked your performance and found it remarkable for two reasons. Firstly you have been playing since June (presumably as a new starter) and secondly that you memorised the piece. Well done.
I wonder how you would cope with the authentic score and played in the manner that Beethoven sets down on the paper.
Thank you for the kind words keff smile I really enjoyed learning it.
Some months ago I got as a present a special Peters edition on Beethoven for piano with a few scores inside, including the one for Moonlight sonata 1st movement. I tried out like the first eight bars or something right at the beginning when I was learning the arrangement. It was very fun but obviously a lot more difficult. I would love to give it a try in the future smile I actually like a lot all Beethoven's sonatas, they are on my bucket list for future years to come for sure.

Originally Posted by BruceD
Here's the link that works:

Beethoven

Regards,

Thank you Bruce for fixing the link smile

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
thumb

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you for sharing. I am not too sure about the arrangement of the piece in the different key. I think there is something quite mysterious about the C sharp minor which I think is not reflected in the other key your piece have been transposed. As you said it is your first Beethoven so it may indeed be best to play arrangements but I do think something is lost in the key you are playing.

I am not sure why but I think the C sharp minor has a very mysterious feel. I will share with you a good example as I play this piece called walking in the air. Here is the C sharp minor version. I am not sure if it is the original one by Howard Blake as the book is not on sale but it was the one I searched for and the version I wanted to play.

But we have it in C minor.

And I think in D minor

I think the D minor is the one in all the books online but I dont think it works. Something special about the C sharp minor and something special about moonlight sonata in this key. I think personally if I was to look for an arrangement it may be best to try and find something in the same key or even better from the composer. It is however quite hard to find this but they do rarely exist. I have ordered Brahms Waltz and found that I ordered by mistake the simplified version from Brahms !

smile

Originally Posted by Moo :)
Thank you for sharing. I am not too sure about the arrangement of the piece in the different key. I think there is something quite mysterious about the C sharp minor which I think is not reflected in the other key your piece have been transposed. As you said it is your first Beethoven so it may indeed be best to play arrangements but I do think something is lost in the key you are playing.

I am not sure why but I think the C sharp minor has a very mysterious feel. I will share with you a good example as I play this piece called walking in the air. Here is the C sharp minor version. I am not sure if it is the original one by Howard Blake as the book is not on sale but it was the one I searched for and the version I wanted to play.

But we have it in C minor.

And I think in D minor

I think the D minor is the one in all the books online but I dont think it works. Something special about the C sharp minor and something special about moonlight sonata in this key. I think personally if I was to look for an arrangement it may be best to try and find something in the same key or even better from the composer. It is however quite hard to find this but they do rarely exist. I have ordered Brahms Waltz and found that I ordered by mistake the simplified version from Brahms !

smile
With present equal temperament system of piano tuning, all keys sound the same. It's possible C#minor sounds better to you for the above piece because you are used to it.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Moo :)
Thank you for sharing. I am not too sure about the arrangement of the piece in the different key. I think there is something quite mysterious about the C sharp minor which I think is not reflected in the other key your piece have been transposed. As you said it is your first Beethoven so it may indeed be best to play arrangements but I do think something is lost in the key you are playing. ...

smile

Hi Moo smile thanks for your comment. The arrangement I played is indeed in a different key. It is in b minor. I see your point with the videos you have posted.
I was actually surprised that one could still hear so much resemblance in the piece after changing the key signature. The same happened with an arrangement of a Chopin piece I played before this one. But it might just be me and my untrained ear or that the original and transposed keys give that effect. I assume one could notice the difference more clearly had they chosen a different minor key. There is still quite some ear training to do on my side smile

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
With present equal temperament system of piano tuning, all keys sound the same. It's possible C#minor sounds better to you for the above piece because you are used to it.

I am intrigued about this pianoloverus. Why is that? or in which extent do you mean that they sound the same?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AndresVel
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I am intrigued about this pianoloverus. Why is that? or in which extent do you mean that they sound the same?

In equal temperament all the intervals remain the same when you change the key so that the music has the same "shape" and the only thing that changes is the starting point (the tonic note).

Z
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Z
Changing key also changes the registration of the melody. As you reduce the pitch the melodic line takes on a greater resonance and as you raise the pitch it takes on greater clarity and a greater percussiveness.

The relative intonation and the harmony may be the same arithmetically and in the middle of the piano won't make much difference but the music will not really sound the same as it moves up and down the piano. As a quick example try playing Fuer Elise an octave higher and see if it sounds the same.

On a digital instrument you can use the transpose function and may find you can move around a bit without much change but on an acoustic that's been tuned by hand it's a different story or on a digital using an older temperament and transposing on the keyboard.

The register makes a difference.

Richard
A
OP Offline
A
Thank you Richard and Qazsedcft for your replies. Very interesting topic! I was also watching a recording of a baroque piece played on hapsichord and the topic of the baroque tuning appeared in the comments. I did not know about it, and neither did I about the equivalence of lowering down one semitone the key on a current piano to reach that tuning. My question is (assuming I understood correctly), should not we be playing baroque pieces transposed one semitone lower? Is it something commonly done? My ear cannot yet tell the difference (if ever :P) Just curious smile

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by AndresVel
Thank you Richard and Qazsedcft for your replies. Very interesting topic! I was also watching a recording of a baroque piece played on hapsichord and the topic of the baroque tuning appeared in the comments. I did not know about it, and neither did I about the equivalence of lowering down one semitone the key on a current piano to reach that tuning. My question is (assuming I understood correctly), should not we be playing baroque pieces transposed one semitone lower? Is it something commonly done? My ear cannot yet tell the difference (if ever :P) Just curious smile

I think you are confusing the tuning method and the tuning pitch. The baroque tuning is not the same as the modern equal temperament. And there are several different tuning that are possible. Irrespective of the tuning pitch, a true baroque harpsichord tuned in one of the baroque putch would sound differently anyway. The tuning pitch is conveniently set at 415 but in reality that pitch could be anything between roughly 392 and 466. It varies per period and country. Different instrument could use a different tuning pitch.

There is no particular reason to change the tuning of the modern piano.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,431
Posts3,084,688
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission