2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (CraiginNZ, Bostonmoores, anotherscott, David B, danno858, brdwyguy, c++, Carey, BlakeOR, 36251, 9 invisible), 509 guests, and 439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Looking back at my "2020 Vision" I think I did okay, not great, meeting my goals:

Play as many different pianos as I can; This was dented by lockdown, but spending so much time at home made me realize that I really wanted my "lifetime" piano now. Life is short; why wait? I made some financial adjustments, and this fall I ventured out carefully to appointments at piano dealers. My beautiful new Estonia makes me happy every day. .

wow wow That’s the best you did in 2020.......congratulations thumb thumb

Have fun with the instrument......kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
What were the ambitions and what did you realize?.......did you tell us already in this thread?

As I promised.....26th of december 2020......I remember you your musically goals of 2020......
Did you succeed?
Have you done everything you said?
In this year we had to handle with a complete different world because of all covid problems; may be your lessons stopped, your performances/convert were cancelled.....it was a bad year for all of us

In the following link you can see what you wrote in december last year

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE.......

Have a look and think about it....and have fun about it..

Kind regards and best wishes to all of you at ABF/PW,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 12/29/20 11:01 AM.

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I said, "Piano is getting all my attention. I need to play the violin more often!"

Unfortunately, piano took most of my 2020 too. Sorry violin. I'll try harder in 2021.

Be yourself

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
1000 Post Club Member
2020 was a very strange year. After several years, during the summer I stopped logging my practice, because it was starting to spoil the fun, and I was too busy with other things. By then I had already learned or half-learned most of the pieces in my 2020 list, and I practised very little afterwards. I basically just did the bare minimum to avoid forgetting my "repertoire".

My 2020 pieces were:
Bach: Inventions no. 9 & no. 13 - practiced for a month each, but not brought up to tempo
Chopin: Nocturne no. 20 in C# minor op. posth. & Waltz in C# minor op. 64 no. 2 - both learned quite quickly, but not polished
Kapustin, Sonatina op. 100 - I had some fun with it and practiced the first two pages for a while, but it was definitely too much
Schumann: Scenes from Childhood no. 5 & no. 11 - basically learned
Mozart: Adagio from K. 282 & Adagio from K. 570 - okay

I didn't practice technique and I rarely recorded myself. I only got back to my city apartment and my acoustic piano at the end of November and I even skipped tuning due to COVID.

Now I'm kind of back into it. Trying to polish Chopin's Waltz, which was a surprise because, even if it isn't as difficult as it sounds, I thought was beyond my reach. I started another slow movement from a Mozart sonata (K. 283, easier than the previous ones) and I'm trying to do some reading here and there.

Overall it's not been a bad year, because I saw that I'm not going to "unlearn" everything any time soon. My poor technique probably got poorer, but I know that I will always feel "at home" at the piano even if I don't play for weeks, which is a great feeling.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I'd hoped to engineer and maintain a play list. It proved harder than I thought; recently learned pieces took longer to recall than playing from new. Maybe because i didn't have a deadline or something.
Fortunately I picked songs I liked. But it's a bit of a b&gger when you can't remember songs you wrote yourself . . . . smile
And the bike has been superactive during COVID. Lungfuls of (allegedly) fresh air and all the cars I can handle!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
A
Johan I hope you have fully recovered. A friend who lives in another country and who I hadn’t spoken to in over ten years also told me this week he had and recovered from prostate cancer. Life throws such brutal challenges at us,thankfully there is music. Let’s all hope for a much better 2021!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks Johan B for keeping up this annual tradition for us. Sorry to hear about your health troubles, I hope the surgery was a full success and with you good health and happiness for 2021.

A pretty mixed year for me, like so many of us.

>>>
This year, my goals are pretty simple. To help set myself up for success, these are mainly things I already do to a greater or lesser extent, but want to improve/increase/emphasise

1. MOYD - play every day I can Yes, and a much higher hit rate than in other years due to almost no travel
2. Follow the path my teacher sets No teacher since March, sadly
3. Focus on the details that will make my playing sound better (and in particular, the details my teacher is guiding me on, cf goal 2!) Overall no, partly because my lessons stopped but perhaps more because for a good part of the year once the pandemic took hold I quite intentionally took a lighter "just for fun and distraction" approach to piano. I had poor focus anyway, and wanted to just relax and enjoy my time at the piano without overlaying it with any sense of guilt or "should". All that said, I have benefited from what I have learned and can apply at least some of it some of the time
4. Make space in my practice for things that are not directly preparation for my next lesson - eg refreshing/relearning repertoire, fun pieces just for me, dare I say sight reading. Just "make space", this need not and should not conflict with goal 2 A bit too much of this I suppose!
5. Enjoy and have fun Yes, but a fair bit of the time I was pretty demotivated
<<<<<

[Linked Image]
Johan B Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Alans and Barabam,

Thank you for your good and hopefully words. We will do better in 2021......Best wishes for you.....

Kind regards,
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Motto's:
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Editing Solo Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 04/18/21 07:42 PM
Borgato speaks about piano craft
by VladK - 04/18/21 07:14 PM
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,382
Posts3,083,924
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission