2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by David McMaster
Thank you, pianoloverus for the tip about Zoom. If you or anyone else knows of a reputable teacher via zoom, or if there is already a thread, please let me know. I will investigate.
I think you should tell us more about what kind of music you want to play (classical, jazz, or pop) and your current level(what some of the pieces you play now are). This would help those who know teachers recommend a teacher who is a good fit.

Z
Z
Imagine someone telling you that he is enjoying learning photography from YouTube.
Some will be talented enough to pick it without an instructor and do well.
But you probably saw many that need some professional instruction ...
Besides that , it’s better to learn good technique in order not to damage your hands and body (pains, CTS etc)

Online Content
Originally Posted by ZigZagStory
Imagine someone telling you that he is enjoying learning photography from YouTube.
Besides that, it’s better to learn good technique in order not to damage your hands and body (pains, CTS etc)
I think the even more important purpose of learning good technique is to be able to play the piano at a high level. i.e. play technically difficult passages and play with good tone. I don't mean to imply preventing injury is unimportant just that it's probably a far less common problem than inability of play difficult pieces.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/26/20 04:00 PM.
OP Offline
So, I love and hope to learn all kinds of music, and do not intend to restrict myself much in that area. My music listening reflects this attitude, but I will admit a certain fondness for classic sixties and seventies pop and rock. It's what I grew up with.

Currently, Flowkey has me working on Christoph Gaupner's Bourrée, which I am enjoying very much. It is the first piece since Flowkey "graduated" me to intermediate status. I love playing the bass clef on my Bass Station 2 while playing the treble clef on my MODX8. Makes me feel like a rock star! 😃

I am also starting Paul Simon's The Sound of Silence as an optional piece. You can select from hundreds of songs from most genres, and have Flowkey's system teach it to you. But, most of my effort is going into the bourrée.

For warm up I’m playing through the major scales fairly rhythmically and consistently. Plus I’m learning an arpeggio progression.

Love is never wasted, for its value does not rest upon reciprocity.

www.juneaunaturally.com
Z
Z
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by ZigZagStory
Besides that, it’s better to learn good technique in order not to damage your hands and body (pains, CTS etc)
I think the even more important purpose of learning good technique is to be able to play the piano at a high level. i.e. play technically difficult passages and play with good tone. I don't mean to imply preventing injury is unimportant just that it's probably a far less common problem than inability of play difficult pieces.

Totally right. I have so many other reasons to recommend a teacher but I wrote the ones the OP may understand now.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Hi David, both your instruments are synthesizers which means they do not have weighted keys. You really can’t learn classical piano music properly on a synthesizer. You need a proper weighted keys instrument to learn the nuances for piano, such as dynamics. Synthesizers are great for pop music and making you feel like a pop star! wink I know this because I learned on an unweighted key instrument as a child and as an adult I had to start all over again with a weighted key instrument. Makes a big difference. But then, my goals are likely different from yours.

So, it comes down to what your goals are.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 12/26/20 04:39 PM.

Kawai K500
OP Offline
One of the big reasons I picked the MODX8 was because it has weighted keys. You are thinking of the 6 and 7 models.

www.juneaunaturally.com
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
One of the big reasons I picked the MODX8 was because it has weighted keys. You are thinking of the 6 and 7 models.

Sorry, my mistake then!

Kawai K500
OP Offline
ZigZagStory, funny you should mention that. When I teach photography one of the things most difficult to do is to get folks to go out on their own, and explore their environment and their equipment. Go do something experimental even at the beginner phase. In photography there is no wrong or right method. There is only developing a technique that works for you. Like many have said here, "What is your goal?" Perhaps that is why I approach the piano the way I do.

www.juneaunaturally.com
OP Offline
But, I’d still like those Zoom piano instructor recommendations, if anyone has some

www.juneaunaturally.com
Z
Z
ZigZagStory, funny you should mention that. When I teach photography one of the things most difficult to do is to get folks to go out on their own, and explore their environment and their equipment. Go do something experimental even at the beginner phase. In photography there is no wrong or right method. There is only developing a technique that works for you. Like many have said here, "What is your goal?" Perhaps that is why I approach the piano the way I do.

Well Photography is my other hobby. If one doesn’t understand how to set the shutter exposure and ISO correctly for each scene , one may get blurred/dark/saturated/noisy images.
Do you teach students how to create a nice bokeh ? Yes they can find it by trying but it will be faster if you show them what to do ...

Last edited by ZigZagStory; 12/26/20 05:45 PM.
OP Offline
Point taken, but because of modern camera's abilities I like to let students work on the artistic side right from the beginning. When there is a question about why something didn't work technically, I could just answer the question, but I prefer guided discovery. Leading the student to their own answer is so much more meaningful.

I find just showing a technique rarely sticks. They must find out for themselves to truly inderstand.

www.juneaunaturally.com
B
B
Where I am, there aren't any photography teachers/instructors. These days, most people use their smart phones (which are getting better and better: several of the impressive photos on a popular 2021 calendar were taken using cell phones) rather than 'real' cameras.

When I first started taking photography seriously and invested in a SLR system, I bought photography books and subscribed to photo magazines to learn about f stops, shutter speeds, depth of field, composition, filters etc, though "serious" photographers (those with diplomas from the RPS) shot in black and white with medium format, and developed the negatives themselves, and made their own prints.

Whereas I just wanted to take good photos on slide film, on my travels to remote locations and during mountaineering expeditions, so for me, learning all about good composition and lighting was key. I gave slide shows, and made some decent pocket money from selling photos to various travel, photo and climbing magazines - enough to pay for my trips and film.

Which is more than can be said for my music-making (piano recitals, lecture-recitals, singing, and more recently, also teaching piano): I've never made a penny from it.......

In other words, a hobby that I learnt entirely by myself in a few weeks (- no Youtube or internet in those days either) proved much more "successful" as a money-spinner than one that took ten years of weekly lessons whistle.

If music be the food of love, play on!
David

As pianoloverus has written above (paraphrasing): you don’t know what you don’t know.

Why not get a few lessons say every three months or so, focused on posture and whatever else the teacher spots?

You could perhaps persuade a teacher to give you an occasional session — it needn’t even be the same teacher each time.

I think most players on this forum would see value in being advised by a teacher.

Good luck on your journey.

(PS buying Alaska from the Russians has to be one of the best deals of all time!)

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . .

Currently, Flowkey has me working on Christoph Gaupner's Bourrée, which I am enjoying very much. It is the first piece since Flowkey "graduated" me to intermediate status. I love playing the bass clef on my Bass Station 2 while playing the treble clef on my MODX8. Makes me feel like a rock star! 😃
. . .

Two suggestions, for what they're worth:

(a) There might be enough bass sounds on the MODX8, to let you split the keyboard, and put the BS2 away. (You probably know that already . . . ) The BS2 is an interesting beast, and probably a good place to start learning "sound design"; have fun!

(b) You don't say whether you've been recording yourself, and listening to the playback.

If you do record yourself, and you say:

. . . "Yuck -- I didn't know I sounded like that! Help!"

you have a reason to get a teacher.

Good luck !

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
Online Content
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
You don't say whether you've been recording yourself, and listening to the playback. If you do record yourself, and you say:. . . "Yuck -- I didn't know I sounded like that! Help!"you have a reason to get a teacher.
It's definitely possible to think one's playing, even on a recording, is quite good an be seriously mistaken.

OP Offline
So, after a few days contemplation on all the much appreciated advice, I’ve come to a few conclusions.

1. I am not going to be putting any special emphasis on classical music. I will take whatever Flowkey throws at me, but I love too many genres to limit myself. As I advance I will continue to branch out wherever my fancy leads me.

2. I have 8 months left on my premium subscription of Flowkey. At the end of that first year I will have my playing evaluated by a knowledgeable, professional third party. Depending on that evaluation I will decide whether or not to engage an instructor.

3. I am determined to become a proficient musician, and realize there is much work ahead of me. But, darn it, I mean to have have fun with it!

www.juneaunaturally.com
I love Flowkey, I have been using it for about for years.

But after 30 years of no piano instructor, I just got one.

At every lesson I have numerous questions that she answers.

Also there are numerous other little techniques she points out that I never thought of. She is a good sounding board on what is worth learning or spending large amounts of time practicing.

I would contact every teacher in the area, keep in mind kids drop in and out of piano frequently, go on vacation, take the summer off! You could fill a time slot for 2 or three lessons, until the next kid comes along. Good deal for all concerned.

The hard is what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!
Tom Hanks
A
A
There are many online music schools,many more since COVID. My favorite is Preply.com because there is no initial fee and you can schedule your lessons as frequently or infrequently as you wish. You just look at the teachers calendar,which is adjusted to your time zone,and press your desired slot.They send you a reminder the same day. Prices range but some are not as expensive as others and everyone lists their formal education . May of the teachers give one free trial lesson.there is also super prof which is annoying because you need to pay a registration fee before you can contact a teacher. I think there’s a new one called lesson..something.
I’ve used Preply for years on another instrument and have gone months without a lesson. It’s very flexible. You can also contact a teacher and talk about the exact type of music you want to study. Kijiji is another great site. There was a fellow who was very clever as his ad said for adults who have no time to practice. I contacted him but he doesn’t teach rcm,I think only pop so that was it with him.

A
A
Preply also uses their own platform which they call the Preply space. The people who run the company are useless,they almost never respond to queries,but the flexibility and choice is great.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission