2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, Burkhard, 80k, AJB, Braathen, Anevsky, Calavera, axomas, 8 invisible), 649 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't see how any piano can have have a large dynamic range where it's only easy to play either very loud or very soft.

I'm not that was exactly the comment made earlier but I experienced this effect just a couple of weekends ago when playing a Grotrian Steinweg upright. The (very nice indeed) Grotrian had nowhere near the power and dynamic range of our K800, and neither does the K800 only play loud or very soft either, but within its range it was easier and more predictable to pick a dynamic and hit it with the Grotrian the the Kawai. Their actions felt very different as well but that's another story.

C
OP Offline
C
I appreciate everyone’s opinions. In the end, this is a personal preference. The Fazioli I played just didn’t have the personality that I’m looking for. In fact, a high end Yamaha that I played sounded more interesting to me than the Fazioli. And the Bosendorfer blew away everyone else. It just had character. Difficult to put into words. When I look at the Bosendorfer, I don’t see a piano. I see a living creature with its own idiosyncratic colorful spirit.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cozmopak
I appreciate everyone’s opinions. In the end, this is a personal preference. The Fazioli I played just didn’t have the personality that I’m looking for. In fact, a high end Yamaha that I played sounded more interesting to me than the Fazioli. And the Bosendorfer blew away everyone else. It just had character. Difficult to put into words. When I look at the Bosendorfer, I don’t see a piano. I see a living creature with its own idiosyncratic colorful spirit.
This post shows the difficulty almost everyone, including me, has describing a piano's tone. Words like "personality", "interesting", "character", have no more meaning than "I liked it".

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
This post shows the difficulty almost everyone, including me, has describing a piano's tone. Words like "personality", "interesting", "character", have no more meaning than "I liked it".

It is on the same level as explaining , flavors. Impossible because of how people experience things based on previous experiences.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
L
LJC Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
It would be hard to pick two high end pianos that are more dissimilar.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by LJC

IMO Bluthner is more dissimilar to Fazioli than is Bosendorfer. IMO Steinway is more dissimilar to Bosendorfer than is Fazioli.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by LJC
IMO Bluthner is more dissimilar to Fazioli than is Bosendorfer. IMO Steinway is more dissimilar to Bosendorfer than is Fazioli.
I think you are probably more familiar with and better at describing tone than most. Could you give us brief descriptions of or compare/contrast the tone of as many of the six "iconic" makes from Fine's list as you'd like? Thanks.

L
L
If we considered the very top brands in tone and similarities, maybe we could draw a kind of tonal spectrum ranging from warm/lyrical to brighter? I give it a try (and I am very serious on this one ;-)
... well, of course a warm voiced Bechstein could change the position with a hard Blüthner, so let´s just take the company´s philosophy

Warm/lyrical ---> bright

Blüthner Bösendorfer Steingraeber Fazioli Shigeru-Kawai Steinway Yamaha C. Bechstein

What do you think? Which brands would you like to add? M&H, New York Steinway, Stuart, Seiler, Förster, ...

Empty when full
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by LJC
I think you are probably more familiar with and better at describing tone than most. Could you give us brief descriptions of or compare/contrast the tone of as many of the six "iconic" makes from Fine's list as you'd like? Thanks.
Originally Posted by LJC

Oy.....that is a tough ask. When you add the context of repertoire and the type of player it really gets difficult. Some of those pianos thrive under a light touch and choke when pushed to hard. Some players know how to play a piano to make it sound its best and other players only know one way to play and if the piano suits them it is good and if it doesn't suit them it sounds crummy.

And that goes for great pianists and beginners as well. Finally, some pianists sound right on some pianos only in certain repertoire.

Don't get me started on how some pianos are more flexible with how they can be voiced and others only really work well with a certain type of voicing.

I guess the bottom line is everyone should have several pianos!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

Agreed

It’s trying to describe something Objectively, that’s Subjectively interpreted, with words that can mean different things to different people

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
C
OP Offline
C
My Bosendorfer 214 VC was delivered today and I couldn’t be happier with it.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K

Congratulations!

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
www.pianocraft.net

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

Congrats cozmopak!

Love the Decisiveness

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Neat. I hope you get a long lifetime of enjoyment from it!

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
C
OP Offline
C
It was not a difficult decision! I wished I had had the opportunity to play a Steingraeber, as everything I’ve read about those instruments makes me think that I would have enjoyed it.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats and wishing you many years of inspiration from it. The handful of times I've played the 214 VC, I loved the tone and touch. Fantastic piano !

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515
A
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
Silver Supporter until Feb 1 2020
A
Congrats! Should last a lifetime or more. When we bought our 225 35 years ago, Boesendorfer was owned by Kimball. They didn't interfere with Boesendorfer either, although they did make their own Kimball based on some of the Boesendorfer principles. We saw a map of the world in the factory in Wiener Neustadt, and there is was a pin showing the location of the major Boesendorfer offices. One I thought was wrong - the pin said Jasper - and it was in Indiana, not in Canada. Jasper, Indiana was the home of Kimball Pianos. After World War II, Boesendorfer was bought by Kimball in 1966 who owned it until 2002 when an Austrian Bank bought it. In 2007 it was sold to Yamaha. It has always been a small company, and after the war (being located in Vienna meant the Nazi's invaded and controlled Austria (remember the escape scene at the end of Sound of Music). So after the war, the production of pianos dropped to a very low level. I saw a table of the production numbers and in the 1950's I remember that there were years where 50 odd pianos were built. Even today, only a few hundred pianos are built per year. So I think Boesendorfer may have been bought by Kimball and then Yamaha for its prestigious name and quality of instruments, rather than as a big money maker acquisition.

Boesendorfer 225 (1985)
Yamaha S400E (predecessor to CF4) Disklavier (1992)
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Lucubrate
Agreed

It’s trying to describe something Objectively, that’s Subjectively interpreted, with words that can mean different things to different people

~Lucubrate

That is an advantage that wine lovers have over us. They have spent hundreds of years coming up with comparative language that means something to most people, even those who have never seriously tasted wine. It is admittedly more difficult with musical sound though. Someone famous once said, "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture."

Bravo cozmopak! This is a great instrument and I am certain that you will enjoy it for a lifetime.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Enjoy discovering its abilities, and congratulations.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Long Louis
Warm/lyrical ---> bright

Blüthner Bösendorfer Steingraeber Fazioli Shigeru-Kawai Steinway Yamaha C. Bechstein

What do you think? Which brands would you like to add? M&H, New York Steinway, Stuart, Seiler, Förster, ...

Maybe start by making a list of 5-7 words that describe tone, arrange them like the petals of a flower, then adjust the size of each petal for each piano. Your scale says Bechstein has a long bright petal and Bluthner a short one.

It's a standard sort of diagram for representing attributes - I've forgotten where I last saw one. Does one already exist for pianos, I wonder?

Google for "petal diagram" for examples.

Last edited by Withindale; 12/16/20 08:49 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,751
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission