2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Ampersand, 36251, anotherscott, c++, briangmoore, chopinetto, Bill McKaig,RPT, 16 invisible), 521 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3055841 12/12/20 10:14 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi

How do you maintain tempo when recording solo piano? I've attempted several times with various pieces mainly soundtrack music, and always find throughout the course of playing there will be various mood characteristics and attributes of a piece that will change the course of its tempo, ranging from Andante, Allegretto, Allegro, Accelerando and Ritardando.

There seems to be a pulse that can be kept but not a continual beat so as to maintain a consistent tempo. This is the dilemma I'm finding when trying keep a benchmark when recording using a sequencer DAW such as Logic Pro. How do you compensate for tempo changes when trying to render a professional recording?

Thanks.

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals
Is it your own soundtrack music or other's compositions?

Hopefully one day I will do my interpretation of Bach French Suite no. 2 in C minor, BWV 813
Right now I'm working on Bach Minuet G Major! :-)
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
If you are recording a solo piano, who cares about perfect tempo. If you want to play rubato and give more feeling to the piece then go ahead. That's the difference between a human being and a computer.

But if you are recording with a drum track and a bass track then you have no choice but to follow the drum. In the old days recording was made with live musicians but today music is record with a DAW and base on rhythm generated by a computer, so everyone follows the click.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

I don't know if I understood very well your question, but I will try to give some insights.

First, if you just want to play perfectly on tempo, record using a metronome.

If your question is about playing perfectly on tempo but without a metronome, I would say this is a mattter of training and practice with and without metronome, and it can take years to achieve a good mastery of this skill.

If your question is about how to express the different moods in a piece without changing tempo, well... There are a lot of things a pianist can do to change the mood or character of the music apart from changing tempo, like dynamics, voicing, articulation, pedal, etc. But again, this is something you practice for years, it is at the core of the art of interpretation, and the best way to improve this skill is to have piano classes with a good teacher. I think there is no other way. No pianist can describe how to do this in a forum post. There is no easy or magic formula to do this.

But as Serge88 said above, "if you are recording a solo piano, who cares about perfect tempo"? Obviously, different musical styles demand different approaches to tempo (as to everything), but in a solo you have much more freedom to use rubato. But as with everything else, a good rubato requires technique and can take years to achieve. I had a teacher who used to say that a bad musician plays rubato because of incompetence, a good musician plays rubato because of choice.

Yamaha GB1K baby grand; Roland FP-80 & FP-7F; Garritan CFX; Yamaha AG-03; Sennheiser HD 579 & HD 569; Zoom H5.
Me on YouTube: Duo Matschulat
I
I
That's great advice matschulat and your English is fine!

I agree. It takes years of study to learn the art of interpretation and the mastery of our instrument.

I like to think of the beat as the pulse of the music. As long as the basic overall pulse is reasonably steady, then we are free to shape the phrases and make the music speak and sing. My teacher in college would not allow me to use the metronome except when practicing scales and other technical exercises and that forced me to learn how to sense the universal pulse of the music. But I don't know if I could have learned that on my own.

Rubato takes time to learn to use tastefully and I found it helpful to listen to recordings made by pianists at the beginning of the 1900s and many are on YouTube and elsewhere.

Classical pianist, retired piano teacher and currently music history instructor for Columbia College of Missouri Online Campus
www.isolatedpianist.com
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I create music on my DAW and I never use a click track. No life in that scene. Ditto quantize. Forget that!

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Don't record with a metronome, practice with a metronome. For me at least, following the metronome while playing is very distracting.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Skyscrapersax
I create music on my DAW and I never use a click track. No life in that scene. Ditto quantize. Forget that!

I have before to realise this very quickly, click metronome = mechanical robot, no click = natural life in the piece, thanks for that.

Also thanks to everybody else for your input.

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,432
Posts3,084,709
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission