2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (Charles Cohen, clothearednincompo, dhull100, A. Lucato, bohemiatotal, beeboss, aesop, CharlesXX, David Boyce, 9 invisible), 516 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pianoteq presets
#3052897 12/04/20 03:47 PM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Why are the presets so haphazardly named. One piano has a prelude mode, another has a classical mode, another had a player mode, yet another has two player modes, one has 2 chamber music modes, another has none...... You'd think there would at least be core group of 10 presets (maybe more) which would be common to all the pianos. If I happen to like the classical preset for a particular piano, why can't I even find a similar named preset for another piano?

Any ideas on how to approach discovering favorite sounds, trying to replicate presets, etc?

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: Pianoteq presets
Eli26 #3052900 12/04/20 03:56 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Nope. I have no idea why it is the way it is. Maybe ask on Pianoteq forum as you pose a good question.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Eli26 #3052921 12/04/20 04:31 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Eli26
Why are the presets so haphazardly named. One piano has a prelude mode, another has a classical mode, another had a player mode, yet another has two player modes, one has 2 chamber music modes, another has none...... You'd think there would at least be core group of 10 presets (maybe more) which would be common to all the pianos. If I happen to like the classical preset for a particular piano, why can't I even find a similar named preset for another piano?

Any ideas on how to approach discovering favorite sounds, trying to replicate presets, etc?

Well, my approach has evolved into pick one and play.

I do not try to make a science out of finding the "Perfect" piano sound.

I find that in Pianoteq 7 it is difficult to find something that is "bad" so I just play the "piano" without regard for "Is it better or worse than ..." some other one.

I do not wish to spend my time analyzing presets and tweaking for "better".

I want to learn to play the piano .... not build one.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
Eli26 #3052926 12/04/20 04:48 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm not sure if you know this but if you press 'l' (the letter) in Pianoteq (or Window -> Preset manager), they at least provide a description for each preset.

I was at a loss at first, until I found that.

Eli26 #3052932 12/04/20 04:53 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I find that in Pianoteq 7 it is difficult to find something that is "bad" so I just play the "piano" without regard for "Is it better or worse than ..." some other one.

Ha Ha 3M has a different opinion on that wink

Eli26 #3052934 12/04/20 04:57 PM
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have to agree with dmd. I really don't fuss with it too much and just play. Of course I just upgraded to the Pro version so that might change as time permits LOL!

EPW #3052950 12/04/20 05:20 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EPW
I have to agree with dmd. I really don't fuss with it too much and just play. Of course I just upgraded to the Pro version so that might change as time permits LOL!

You might .... just for fun.

There are some things I found useful.

I quite often would reduce the volume on the bass side of the keyboard.

I never like a big booming base going there.

In Pianoteq 7 I haven't noticed that so much.

Like I said .... I really have found that Pianoteq 7 is pretty good right out of the box.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
Eli26 #3053010 12/04/20 08:12 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

As mentioned, above the Preset Manager is the best way right now, the descriptions are decent enough to figure out what the preset is doing. You can also create a folder for your favorite presets. It is still super-clunky but at least it works.

But I really wish Pianoteq gave us a proper perfomer's interface. Something quick and easy to navigate. I made the request over on the Modartt website, but I feel like it just fell on deaf ears.

I agree about the haphazard, chaotic preset lists. They should standardize those across all the instrument models. I tried to build a preset picker in Touch OSC where the instruments were listed by Brand and Preset Category - but the presets are so disorganized I gave up.

--- --- ---

Other than that, I also find Pianoteq just fine out of the box. I only change the Velocity Curve and the Output, which is why I've stuck with the Stage version. I was tempted to upgrade to Standard this time around so I could tweak the microphone placement (one of my minor annoyances in Pianoteq) - and also try out the super-cool morphing feature to build my own custom piano models.

But in the end, I knew I'd get lost in the rabbit hole of tweak-city, and I much prefer keeping my head focused on playing and performing.

Notes:
I always find it funny that the best Velocity Curve preset for the Roland FP-30 is the "Slow Keyboard". Not only is it true that the PHA-4 Standard action is a slow action, but selecting "Slow Keyboard" velocity curve makes the action feel faster.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Groove On #3053021 12/04/20 08:28 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Groove On
But in the end, I knew I'd get lost in the rabbit hole of tweak-city, and I much prefer keeping my head focused on playing and performing.

+1

Priorities !

Don

dmd #3058296 12/18/20 05:57 AM
E
Eli26 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by dmd

Well, my approach has evolved into pick one and play.

I do not try to make a science out of finding the "Perfect" piano sound.

I do not wish to spend my time analyzing presets and tweaking for "better".

I want to learn to play the piano .... not build one.

I agree 100%! That's precisely why I wish they had made what they considered to be roughly equivalent presets..... if I like the feel of something they call a warm sound, I would like to simply pick a warm sound of another piano to experience similar tuning of a different brand, rather than tweaking other presets...... which I probably won't find the time energy or desire to do..... I like the ability to tweak and control but I'm not actually that inclined to do much more than dabble a bit.....

in fact, if they had simply made the type of presets uniform (for example, ALL pianos get a pop preset, chamber, classical, etc), they could easily have allowed the user to switch pianos without so much scrolling, by for example locking the preset on classical recording and just selecting another brand.

Last edited by Eli26; 12/18/20 06:00 AM.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingerings for Visual Expression
by IntermedPianist - 01/16/21 06:35 AM
Efficient Arpeggio Playing, tips & tricks
by Denis Zhdanov - 01/16/21 03:58 AM
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,281
Posts3,047,180
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission