2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey Y'all,

I almost scored a free Wurlitzer last week. I did a bunch of research and found some cool videos to see what to look for before deciding to go through the trouble of bringing it home. Now I'm just waiting around for that perfect piece. I plan on getting a professional tune once I bring one home too, so I'm not opposed to dropping a hundred bucks or so for a piano that's been played and well cared for... however there are a ton of free pianos here in Sacramento. You know you'll hear about it when it happens.

I've been practicing every day and making progress through the book I've been learning from. I've been watching some YouTube videos and doing my best with hand placement.

There were a few songs and transpositions up to the point where I learned to play Pachelbel's "Canon in D" in both chords AND arpeggios. I tell ya, learning arpeggios is a fun and challenging technique to learn, and I've found my new skill of ambidexterity quite useful in other aspects in life. Anyway, I know this version of "Canon in D" is on the easier spectrum of how the song COULD be played, but I still felt pretty boss being able to bust this one out.

Here it is on YouTube with a little family snow trip edit mixed in. I tried to get the camera angle down a little more on my hands so I could show you guys my technique a little bit while still maintaining the interest of those who are watching just to see whatever cool stuff I try to get into the edits. I need work, so I'm puttin in that work.

https://youtu.be/dr87ObnH9Bg

Thanks for watching, give me a like and subscribe to help boost my YouTube clout!

Chronicling my progress on YouTube... Check it out https://youtu.be/1OAgov_nBxk

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you for sharing your progress. The snow pictures are beautiful but I wish you had shown more video of your technique. From what I can see, your wrists are very, very stiff and you are holding them very low and your elbows look like they are locked into position. When you are watching videos of other pianists, pay attention to wrist and elbow position. Generally, your wrists should be higher and both wrists and elbows should move fluidly. This will give you good tone and protect you from injury. You have the right work ethic so play on!

Best regards,

Deborah
F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Gooddog,

Fingers lower than the wrists, and loosen up the elbows?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Very lovely video! Very nice.

Its unlike me, but I cant help but be harsh about the instrument you are playing on (and this ties into technique). Put that thing in the closet and don't pull it out until you want to play ironic hipster pop music. I really hope you get a nice wurly... but I also hope that you put a nice 88 key weighted action keyboard into your 1 or 2 year budget.

Theres no way of developing a technique on an 'instrument' like that... but ill try to help. Always do a warmup. Work on technique and constantly appraise your body as you do... I think the first 5 Hanon exercises would be good for you. If you feel tight or tense, stop! Shake out your body. Shake out your hands, and return. Try to break up your practicing into intervals (I know this can be hard when inspired). Stretch your hands, arms, and shoulders.

So all the negative BS is out of the way. You're doing a great job! The spirit of your video is excellent.

Keep us updated, keep up the good work, and as always,,, practice hard... but Play harder!

F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by MinscAndBoo
Very lovely video! Very nice.

Its unlike me, but I cant help but be harsh about the instrument you are playing on (and this ties into technique). Put that thing in the closet and don't pull it out until you want to play ironic hipster pop music. I really hope you get a nice wurly... but I also hope that you put a nice 88 key weighted action keyboard into your 1 or 2 year budget.

Theres no way of developing a technique on an 'instrument' like that... but ill try to help. Always do a warmup. Work on technique and constantly appraise your body as you do... I think the first 5 Hanon exercises would be good for you. If you feel tight or tense, stop! Shake out your body. Shake out your hands, and return. Try to break up your practicing into intervals (I know this can be hard when inspired). Stretch your hands, arms, and shoulders.

So all the negative BS is out of the way. You're doing a great job! The spirit of your video is excellent.

Keep us updated, keep up the good work, and as always,,, practice hard... but Play harder!

MinscAndBoo,

I literally laughed out loud on your comment about this "instrument!" I totally agree with you. This WAS in the closet and I only pulled it out because I had the desire to learn HAHAHA. I am scouring the market for a decent piano in the meantime!

Thank you for all the tips, I've been feeling really good about this so far.

Do you have any recommendations for a very affordable weighted keyboard to get me by until I wheel in the real deal?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
First off, thanks for the great sense of humor! I was mortified by your 'instrument', but highly enthusiastic about your goal.

I don't know what's very affordable for you, but something like this is worth every penny. Its on sale now.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Key-Weighted-Digital-Sustain/dp/B07BSM7PFL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2O0576LRVIYU5&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+p125&qid=1607055503&sprefix=Yamaha+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fasteel
Gooddog,

I wouldn’t put finger/hand/wrist position that way because what you are implying is static when it should be fluid and moving. Wrist-finger position constantly varies.

Definitely loosen up your elbows and your wrists. It looks like you are clinching your elbows against your body. Ideally, your elbows should be so relaxed, it would be possible for someone to came up next to you while you were playing and they could lift your elbows away from your body without any resistance on your part. Playing the piano isn’t just about your fingers. You play with your arms, fingers, and shoulders, (really your whole body), and they all must move freely. As an experiment, play the highest and lowest notes on your keyboard. See how your arms move away from your body? Your elbows need that kind of freedom.

I’d also suggest you experiment with your bench height and distance from the keyboard. You might be sitting too close.

For a beginner, the best way to demonstrate wrist position is to ask you to stand up straight, relax your arms and hands at your sides and pay attention to the natural curve of your hand and wrist. Replicate this relaxed curve at the piano.

I know this is a lot to take in but it is very important to do it right to prevent future injuries and to prepare your body for more advanced music. Honestly, the best thing to do would be to have some in-person or zoom lessons.

Best regards,

Deborah
F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
First off, thanks for the great sense of humor! I was mortified by your 'instrument', but highly enthusiastic about your goal.

I don't know what's very affordable for you, but something like this is worth every penny. Its on sale now.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-88-Key-Weighted-Digital-Sustain/dp/B07BSM7PFL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2O0576LRVIYU5&dchild=1&keywords=yamaha+p125&qid=1607055503&sprefix=Yamaha+%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-3

Yeesh! Looks like I'll have to believe in Santa this year!

F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by Fasteel
Gooddog,

I wouldn’t put finger/hand/wrist position that way because what you are implying is static when it should be fluid and moving. Wrist-finger position constantly varies.

Definitely loosen up your elbows and your wrists. It looks like you are clinching your elbows against your body. Ideally, your elbows should be so relaxed, it would be possible for someone to came up next to you while you were playing and they could lift your elbows away from your body without any resistance on your part. Playing the piano isn’t just about your fingers. You play with your arms, fingers, and shoulders, (really your whole body), and they all must move freely. As an experiment, play the highest and lowest notes on your keyboard. See how your arms move away from your body? Your elbows need that kind of freedom.

I’d also suggest you experiment with your bench height and distance from the keyboard. You might be sitting too close.

For a beginner, the best way to demonstrate wrist position is to ask you to stand up straight, relax your arms and hands at your sides and pay attention to the natural curve of your hand and wrist. Replicate this relaxed curve at the piano.

I know this is a lot to take in but it is very important to do it right to prevent future injuries and to prepare your body for more advanced music. Honestly, the best thing to do would be to have some in-person or zoom lessons.

Thank you for the pointers. I have been poking around for instructors as well. I have some recommendations and some other people that I know personally that can play WELL who I plan to approach once I get a proper instrument on hand.

Elbows in, yes! When my hands are closer together, I had a difficult time being accurate with my fingers until I brought my elbows in a bit. Now that I've got this number down, I'll play around with my posture and arm position. I've already raised the seat height since this video and that has helped immensely.

This keyboard only gives one tone no matter the velocity and I don't have to use much force to drive the sound, which is probably why I don't feel the fatigue from my improper technique quite yet.

Thanks for all the pointers. I'm not gonna stop playing this "instrument" because I'm addicted to progress, but I'm working on acquiring a real instrument to learn on. I'm excited to upgrade to anything other than this lol. Once I upgrade I'll be talking to instructors too. I'd like to meet someone that could potentially teach my children in the future.

F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F

So I went shopping for a piano with the intent to pick up a Casio CDP-S100 because it was affordable... after playing all the pianos they had there, I wound up with the piano I felt best suited my needs... which ironically was the piano you recommended. I got a WAY better deal than what Amazon offers too!

Thanks for the advice! This thing is incredible. I actually did pick up an acoustic piano after I bought the digital that's REALLY REALLY close to in tune... I'll post about it after my tuner comes and checks it out.

here's my post for the Yamaha with a little video I made.

http://forum.pianoworld.com//ubbthreads.php/topics/3061458.html#Post3061458

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dads are important! Keep up the good work on that front!

Welcome to our forum. I hope you like it here. There is a lot to learn, and there are a lot of nice, caring, giving people here to help you along.

Who got to ride, strapped to the outside of the SUV? laugh

Hopefully, not the baby! shocked

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
F
Fasteel Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Ralphiano
Dads are important! Keep up the good work on that front!

Welcome to our forum. I hope you like it here. There is a lot to learn, and there are a lot of nice, caring, giving people here to help you along.

Who got to ride, strapped to the outside of the SUV? laugh

Hopefully, not the baby! shocked

Lol standard GoPro mount for the camera. And thank you, I think the best thing I've ever been is a dad.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission