2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, 13 invisible), 1,980 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OE1FEU Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
This is a Steinway B, S/N 60103, pre-assembled in New York with final assembly done in the Hamburg factory in 1886.

The instrument got a complete - and badly done - overhaul in 1978, including new strings, shims for the cracked soundboard, with the soundboard screwed to the ribs. New hammers in 2012, done by someone who didn't know that back checks in 1886 were different and didn't go well with new hammers.

In 2018 complete rebuild of the action with new capstans, repetition levers/whippens, making hammers lighter by sanding the sides, new strike line for 42 hammers, polishing all metal parts. It played just beautifully after that, but it also became painfully obvious that the acoustic assembly has some weaknesses that over the past couple of months became to obvious to ignore: 40 year old strings with each unison having a different set of harmonics per string, cracks in the bridge with one particular note that stood out like a sore thumb, so I've finally given in and took a rather generous offer from a close friend for a rebuild the acoustic assembly, i.e. new pins, strings, agraffes and new bridge caps from top to bottom.

It came back to my home yesterday and now is played and tuned alternately to make it settle into some sort of equilibrium as possible. Next week a concert technician will come and give the hammers a thorough workout and voice them into something beautiful.

This is from today after little practice and lots of tuning:

Last edited by OE1FEU; 12/02/20 03:51 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for being brave and uploading a video-- I'm not able to listen to it carefully right now, but it would be fun to hear a recording of the exact same thing after the next round of work by the technician. Although I know I've heard your piano before the latest work was done to it, you don't happen to have a recording of the same Brahms for that time?

Could be fun to track the evolution of the piano.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
O
OE1FEU Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
The Brahms is indeed my signature piece to document the evolution of the piano. I've always recorded a version of it whenever something was done to the piano and recording equipment, right from the very first day of its arrival, including really rusty playing after not practicing for more than 20 years. Might actually be a fun idea to create kind of a 'collage' with this piece.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's what I thought you had sent me once, a while ago. It could be pretty educational to show people what sorts of investments yield what degree of results.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
K
K
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
That's what I thought you had sent me once, a while ago. It could be pretty educational to show people what sorts of investments yield what degree of results.

Absolutely.

Also: awesome piano, great playing.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The vintage S&S B sounded nice, as did your playing.

A bit of a twang on a few notes here and there, but I don't think I've ever heard any piano, ever, that didn't have a bit of a twang here and there somewhere. smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keybender
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

Absolutely.

Also: awesome piano, great playing.

Yes, it’d be interesting to see the progression.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Great!

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
So happy you've finally had it returned. Congratulations. thumb

I hear a fine voice but I also hear the unevenness that can come from strings that are not quite mated to the hammers, maybe some uneven wear, etc.

I would like to hear the same piece after the hammers are worked on.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
G
G
While appreciating all the work that has gone into it over the years, I'm still amazed that something that is 135 years old can play and sound so good. Not to mention that someone (probably a person although it could have been a church or something) got that piano new that long ago and I'm sure they were as pleased as we are today.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by George Smith
While appreciating all the work that has gone into it over the years, I'm still amazed that something that is 135 years old can play and sound so good. Not to mention that someone (probably a person although it could have been a church or something) got that piano new that long ago and I'm sure they were as pleased as we are today.

I have a 1903 grand and I have often wondered who was the original owner and something about all the people that owned it. I was willing to try to track records but there does not seem to be any records at all.

G
G
My Steinway book has a reprint of an 1888 price list. It shows the B as selling for $1300.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
My Steinway book has a reprint of an 1888 price list. It shows the B as selling for $1300.

Wonderful!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Inflation is always hungry that would be ~36k$ today

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The tone is ever so more solid now from what you have previously posted. Congratulations!

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
O
OE1FEU Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
So happy you've finally had it returned. Congratulations. thumb

I hear a fine voice but I also hear the unevenness that can come from strings that are not quite mated to the hammers, maybe some uneven wear, etc.

I would like to hear the same piece after the hammers are worked on.

It is indeed still a work in progress and your fine ears hear that rather well.

We'll need to see how well the tuning holds and then decide how to proceed in this regard, but I have a good feeling about it. There may be like 3-5 pins that need fastening, but other than that it feels good tuning the beast.

As to the hammers matching the strings: Spot on and rather than trying to match the strings to existing grooves by brute force, the hammers will get the appropriate filing and needling treatment next week. They've been uneven before, which is normal for a brand new set of hammers that initially were as stiff as concrete. I've played the piano a lot since the initial voicing sessions last year, so in terms of timing, now is a good opportunity to go about it thoroughly again. I like my hammers a little softer and since I am adamant about not putting any chemicals into the heads, we'll probably need more than one session, which is fine by me.

As I said, it's a work in progress and it's deeply satisfying to se and hear all those step by step improvements, knowing that I haven't reached the end of the journey yet.

O
OE1FEU Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
O

I have actually found out that the piano was delivered from the Hamburg factory to Berlin on April 28 in 1887 and that the recipient was a certain Mr. Oscar Agthe. Mr. Agthe was a piano builder and Carl Bechstein's step brother and used to be head of the Bechstein production facilities for more than ten years. He then started working with Steinway and became their representative in Berlin.

I couldn't find any reference about the actual sale back then, but fact is that the piano spent its first decades in a dance school near Stuttgart Germany. For ease of transport the initial elephant legs were replaced with rather sturdy ones, but since that's pure cosmetics, I've decided to leave them as they are.

In 1978 the piano was bought by a very close friend of mine who I first met at the Brussels competition in 1987 where he was participant in the final round. So I've known the piano for almost 30 years and always enjoyed is peculiar tone. For all it's life it has been a true workhorse being played on a daily basis for anything between 6 and 12 hours by a professional pianist, which obviously helped to keep the substance alive. The repairs done were simply a result of regular wear and tear of an otherwise well maintained instrument.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
OE1FEU
I am so pleased for you! How wonderful to have a classic piano that you love and that has been carefully restored... (and great piano history story)

Here’s hoping for many wonderful hours with your new piano 😊

OE1FEU

My congratulations for a long time awaited piano, an old love that meets your tastes and expectations. It sounds really nice and well played. Hope you can enjoy it for many lasting seasons. Best!

Fluxo

Sauter V 182
C Bechstein 8
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano OE1FEU. So glad you are helping keep these great old pianos alive.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission