2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (Animisha, Charles Cohen, clothearednincompo, dhull100, A. Lucato, bohemiatotal, beeboss, aesop, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 541 guests, and 463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Is this something I should worry about?
#3051977 12/02/20 10:48 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
So apparently Guitar Center just recently filed bankruptcy the week before I ordered our piano (man I have terrible luck....lol). Of course, there are times where even I can be under a rock and had no clue on this. My piano is on a back order until January, and I did apply for their 0% for 48 months deal. Should this bankruptcy thing be nothing to worry about? I think the way this usually works doesn't affect customers directly. Any kind of insight would be appreciated. I made it a separate thread because it is a rather different topic. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I really DID NOT want to order here but due to the place literally being less than a mile from home, it was an easy choice.

Last edited by ul7; 12/02/20 10:52 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Is this something I should worry about?
ul7 #3051988 12/02/20 11:01 AM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Did you use a credit card?

I think you can cancel the order if you did.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
ul7 #3051990 12/02/20 11:04 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ul7
So apparently Guitar Center just recently filed bankruptcy the week before I ordered our piano (man I have terrible luck....lol). Of course, there are times where even I can be under a rock and had no clue on this. My piano is on a back order until January, and I did apply for their 0% for 48 months deal. Should this bankruptcy thing be nothing to worry about? I think the way this usually works doesn't affect customers directly. Any kind of insight would be appreciated. I made it a separate thread because it is a rather different topic. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I really DID NOT want to order here but due to the place literally being less than a mile from home, it was an easy choice.

With whom would you order it if not from Guitar Center and how close by is that vendor ?

Don

Casio PX-S1000, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
dmd #3052022 12/02/20 12:29 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Learux
Did you use a credit card?

I think you can cancel the order if you did.

Yeah, I signed up for their 0% @ 48 months card. I'm kind of thinking about some strategies on a potential cancel.

Originally Posted by dmd
With whom would you order it if not from Guitar Center and how close by is that vendor ?

Yeah the closest areas are more than likely in Plano, TX. We currently dwell in Denton, TX. It's maybe 30 - 45 minutes on a lucky day. Maybe I should look around and see what's in the local areas again.

Last edited by ul7; 12/02/20 12:30 PM.
ul7 #3052027 12/02/20 12:34 PM
S
S
I wouldn't worry about it. I imagine it will be a bankruptcy where they remain open and continue to fulfill orders and operate as if nothing is going on. I always order from Sweetwater Music. So me I would cancel and buy from Sweetwater also when you call in and talk to a rep they often throw you a discount if you ask.

ul7 #3052045 12/02/20 01:14 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Quick update: I think I have a strategy this weekend on heading up to Metroplex Piano. I talked to the GM there, and he and I hit it off pretty well. I think they have some really good options up there, and they also deal with JUST pianos. So that's something I should have thought about more seriously. Plus if we ever decide to trade in or grow into the acoustics line of pianos, they have some options for that as well. I'll keep you guys posted.

ul7 #3052066 12/02/20 02:20 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
OK so I went ahead and cancelled. Very easy and painless. Will hopefully be getting this piano on Saturday in the metroplex!

ul7 #3052946 12/04/20 05:10 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Last Update on Piano: It's official. We will be heading up tomorrow and snagging our piano at the local deal in the metroplex. Wanted to thank the people in here for a second thought wave, I had a gut feeling I needed to reassess the situation. Not only are we doing local business, BUT they are the largest and ONLY authorized Yamaha dealer in the area. Not to mention they have 5 year resell value option at 100% to trade-in for step-ups in the future. Thanks to you all for the discussions and ideas! Now the reality will begin! Lol.....

ul7 #3053072 12/04/20 10:53 PM
S
S
Great news and exciting. Does that mean it'll be all set up tomorrow and ready to play?

Sebs #3053078 12/04/20 11:06 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Sebs
Great news and exciting. Does that mean it'll be all set up tomorrow and ready to play?
Yeah, we just re-arranged the living room to where it's going to be "battle ready" for tomorrow! Super excited for my wife and I! These CLP's are super simple to set up, so I've already checked out some guides on assembly. They make these things very easy to setup. Since we are going to an actual showcase-style area, she'll be able to check out other pianos to get a feel for what she wants. I'm sure these Clavinovas are all we need to grow for while. Glad I made this thread, because we would've had to wait until late January to even get our product; much less alone, Guitar Center. There's still nothing wrong with Guitar Center, and for the most part I am sure they had their usefulness. It's just that places like Sweetwater (the one you mentioned), and Metroplex Piano (the place we are going to buy from) actually deal with PIANO'S. So it's better business relationships, local support, and all of those other wonderful things that should go together for this first-time experience. Really do appreciate the 2 cents on the subject, you have my thanks.

Last edited by ul7; 12/04/20 11:14 PM.
ul7 #3053310 12/05/20 03:27 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by ul7
Originally Posted by Sebs
Yeah, we just re-arranged the living room to where it's going to be "battle ready" for tomorrow! Super excited for my wife and I! These CLP's are super simple to set up, so I've already checked out some guides on assembly. They make these things very easy to setup. Since we are going to an actual showcase-style area, she'll be able to check out other pianos to get a feel for what she wants. I'm sure these Clavinovas are all we need to grow for while. Glad I made this thread, because we would've had to wait until late January to even get our product; much less alone, Guitar Center. There's still nothing wrong with Guitar Center, and for the most part I am sure they had their usefulness. It's just that places like Sweetwater (the one you mentioned), and Metroplex Piano (the place we are going to buy from) actually deal with PIANO'S. So it's better business relationships, local support, and all of those other wonderful things that should go together for this first-time experience. Really do appreciate the 2 cents on the subject, you have my thanks.

Let us know how you like it. Excited for you and the wife to get started! Sweetwater is just my choice as they have great customer service. Also what great news you don’t have to until January. Congrats.

ul7 #3053335 12/05/20 04:12 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
I guess they are going to deliver it sometime soon. I got a bit ahead of myself, and wasn't entirely aware of the process. So apparently, they assemble everything and deliver it at no extra cost to us. Honestly, I was pretty impressed they go that far. It's a rather standard and pretty obvious procedure. So a little sad we can't have it today, but it's all good. At least we know whenever they can deliver it, everything is on them and not on us.

EDIT: That actually gives us a bit more time to get some materials for playing and a study schedule.

Last edited by ul7; 12/05/20 04:13 PM.
ul7 #3053340 12/05/20 04:32 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I would call the Metroplex Piano (is it the one at the intersection of Chase Oaks Blvd and Central Expressway?) and pin them down on exactly where the piano they are selling you is presently located.

Some time ago, before I purchased my VPC1, I went there to play and examine the Yamaha P515. I thought that since they were a Yamaha Dealer, that would be the placed to go. Unfortunately, they had either no, or very few digital pianos at the store. They exhibited noticeable disdain for digital pianos in the short time I spoke with them. And, they did not even know what a Yamaha P515 was.

It is entirely possible that they do not have Yamaha digital pianos in stock, but, will gladly order one for you after you pay them your money. That would leave you at their mercy, at risk of an endless array of possible delays in delivery such as COVID induced shortages, and, most importantly, at risk that the piano will not even show up at the store by the date they promised to have assembled it for you.

I would go to the store, ask to see the piano in stock, and tell them you will pay for it once it is assembled and ready to be put on board your truck or, if you trust them, to be put on their delivery truck.

Also, digital pianos are easy to assemble. If you are handy at all, you can do it yourself. This would open the option of confirming by phone that Metroplex actually has it in their store, and then just going to pick it up yourself. Risk free.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
ul7 #3053344 12/05/20 04:38 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Also, FWIW, I am pretty sure there is a Guitar Center in Denton. And, in Lewisville.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
ul7 #3053396 12/05/20 06:43 PM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Oh no it's there, we literally signed the paperwork and talked to the rep. We seen the boxes in stock from the truck order, so it's a done deal. We just have to wait for it to get delivered sometime this week, or whenever they have availability. And yes, they are super easy to assemble, BUT just in case anything screws up though, it's on them, not us. So that part costs us nothing but time and waiting. Plus, I need to order the HPH-150 headphones and get some more books delivered. I appreciate the advice though, Ralphiano!. Everything went very smooth, and all of the math worked out for me on the finance end.

Last edited by ul7; 12/05/20 06:47 PM.
ul7 #3053835 12/06/20 09:03 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That's good to hear! When I first read your post, red flags went up everywhere. But, if you've seen the pianos, that's great! Maybe they got a lot of them in for an anticipated Christmas rush.

It sounds like you will be starting your piano journey very soon! thumb

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingerings for Visual Expression
by IntermedPianist - 01/16/21 06:35 AM
Efficient Arpeggio Playing, tips & tricks
by Denis Zhdanov - 01/16/21 03:58 AM
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,281
Posts3,047,180
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission