2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (clothearednincompo, barbaram, Daniel van Veen, aphexdisklavier, David Lai, AndrewJCW, 11 invisible), 474 guests, and 550 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Pins all glued...can they be "re-glued" later?
Duaner #3050702 11/28/20 11:48 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On an upright, I target the top of the pin. On a grand, it is the side closest to the keyboard. It will kindof travel around the pin/bushing area by itself and starve the joint between pin and wood so further application is possible.

I don't have a number (I've never used a tool to measure) - just when the pin moves easily with a short lever and then the pitch doesn't move around. Of course - the string/bearing friction can complicate the situation, especially with older wire.

Ron Koval

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
piano411 #3051363 11/30/20 05:28 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by piano411
Again, my point is that crazy glue is not a general maintenance approach to piano technology....

...As long as owners and technicians accept that crazy glue is palliative care, I am fine with its use...
The fact that you use the term "crazy glue" so frequently suggests you come to this discussion with a closed-minded attitude right from the start. Other people are treating it as a tool of the trade - to be used when indicated and used judiciously. There's more than a little disrespect when you use the term "crazy glue", because you're implying that these many highly skilled and experienced techs who use it are crazy for doing so. Have you not considered that you are the outlier and that you have failed to incorporate something into your viewpoint?

ando #3051373 11/30/20 05:48 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
Again, my point is that crazy glue is not a general maintenance approach to piano technology....

...As long as owners and technicians accept that crazy glue is palliative care, I am fine with its use...
The fact that you use the term "crazy glue" so frequently suggests you come to this discussion with a closed-minded attitude right from the start. Other people are treating it as a tool of the trade - to be used when indicated and used judiciously. There's more than a little disrespect when you use the term "crazy glue", because you're implying that these many highly skilled and experienced techs who use it are crazy for doing so. Have you not considered that you are the outlier and that you have failed to incorporate something into your viewpoint?

+1

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
accordeur #3051378 11/30/20 05:59 PM
D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by accordeur
+1
+1

Last edited by David Boyce; 11/30/20 06:00 PM.
Duaner #3051385 11/30/20 06:07 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Crazy glue is how that glue was marketed when I started using it. The term stuck. I didn’t market it that way, but I think the intent was that the product was crazy good. Not that people are crazy for using, it like you seem to imply. In any event, its just a word.

As I have state many times before, crazy glue is a part of my approach to piano technology, but under very limited circumstances and conditions. I don’t think it should be used when traditional means of nondestructive methods apply. It is used more often than it should be, because experienced technicians don’t seem to know that there are other ways of properly dealing with the situation.

If piano manufactures ever being recommending using crazy glue on their pianos, instead of using centuries old approach to proper piano maintenance, I’ll reconsider the warning. The warning is based on the fact that once the crazy glue is in there, there is no getting it out and there is a limited amount of times it can be used.

Remember, none of the technicians that advocate the use of crazy glue, told that Baldwin poster that they should even mess around with a crazy glue soaked pin block. Why? Because they know once the glue is in there, the next step is to replace the wood.

piano tuner
Duaner #3051716 12/01/20 04:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hmm. "limited times it can be used" also applies to larger and longer pins... You seem to consistently ignore the posts relating to the "less is more" approach which allows for documented multiple applications over decades of use.

"Once the glue is in there, then the next step is to replace the wood" - I've not seen any evidence to support this.

Not sure which "Baldwin poster" you are writing about in relation to dealing with a pin block? I don't read all threads, just ones that pique my interest.

Ron Koval

piano411 #3051727 12/01/20 05:14 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Crazy glue is how that glue was marketed when I started using it. The term stuck. I didn’t market it that way, but I think the intent was that the product was crazy good. Not that people are crazy for using, it like you seem to imply. In any event, its just a word.

Literally nobody is buying what you just said there. You meant it as a term of derision, and you know it. If you were interested in a mature discussion, you'd call it CA like everybody else.

Duaner #3051743 12/01/20 05:59 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
RonTuner, the traditional, time-tested method of longer/bigger pins is intended to get the maximum life out of the pinblock as possible, while also maintaining a new pinblock feel throughout the duration of its use. Depending on how often the piano is tuned, the pinblock can last for centuries using this standard method of maintaining pianos. The use of crazy glue, if we are being optimistic, we are talking about decades. There is a big difference.

Crazy glue changes how the pin feels and responds. There is no realistic way of getting those chemicals out of the wood so that it again responds like bare wood. There are no manufactures that recommend that tuners use crazy glue to tune and work with their pianos. No museum curators that I know of would use crazy glue on their collections. So far, I don't hear concert technicians saying that it is their standard approach on concert instruments.

I'm willing to test your claims that crazy glue can be used over-and-over again. In my experience crazy glue seals the wood. After its first use, its repeated application is unpredictable. There is a point where, it doesn't penetrate. You disagree. So, I'm happy to put your claims to the test and put actual numbers to it.

I'll think about how to do this some more. You don't seem to know what in/lbs you are dealing with. I guess you are using 3-6 drops. You listed what brand you are working with, so I can test that. You seem to put the drops in the same location. I'll have to reread your posts to see what you are claiming.

piano tuner
RonTuner #3051777 12/01/20 07:54 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
+1 to what Ron said.

Last edited by accordeur; 12/01/20 07:58 PM. Reason: +1 waas for Ron. Not the troll.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
Duaner #3051817 12/01/20 10:53 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Centuries?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Big Sur and Synchron VSL
by Tozen - 01/17/21 10:00 PM
Yamaha CFX Users ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 09:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,348
Posts3,048,268
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission