2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (EinLudov, danielp11, Emily2Lame, CaseyVancouver, clothearednincompo, David B, anotherscott, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 608 guests, and 446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
I've never touched a piano or played one seriously my entire life. After doing some research, this one seems like a really solid choice. Would this model be a great starting point to grow with? What about transitioning to other pianos later on? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm pretty serious about this investment. I do realize the cost, and commitment. Thanks again!

Last edited by ul7; 11/29/20 05:51 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
T
T
Since you say you're pretty serious and are thinking about transitioning in the future, my recommendation would be to buy a model that has wooden keys because they feel more realistic (when compared to an acoustic piano). It seems the CLP-735 doesn't have wooden keys.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Talão
Since you say you're pretty serious and are thinking about transitioning in the future, my recommendation would be to buy a model that has wooden keys because they feel more realistic (when compared to an acoustic piano). It seems the CLP-735 doesn't have wooden keys.

On the other hand .....

The Yamaha CLP-375 is a reasonable choice to begin with.

As a beginner .... it may be quite some time before you notice (or even care) what the keys are made of.

If it sounds and feels like a piano (to you) it will probably be fine.

A few years from now you will be in the market for an upgrade .... then you will know more of what things you are looking for.

Good Luck and enjoy

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Focal Professional CMS 40 monitors
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Yeah, I keep telling my wife that keyboards and material have come a long way compared to the nineties....lol. It should be fine. Worse case scenario, I can always get the CLP-745 (which has the white wooden keys) if she isn't happy. I think the price difference was a bit high though for wooden keys and a bit more power. I also think the bluetooth support was also in the 745. I think for a starter piano it's more than enough. Heck, I was impressed by the Yamaha keyboards myself. They seemed legit enough for me. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
There are extensive discussions of "What piano?" in the "Digital Pianos" sub-forum.

The CLP-745, if I remember correctly, is well above "beginner grade".

. . . Have fun!

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
In the days when you could try these out in the shop, I compared the CLPs 635 and 645, preferring the sound of the former but with the keys and action of the latter, which is wood.
The wood, I'm convinced, makes no difference whatsovever.
However, from what I've heard the sound of the 745 is far better than that of the 735. Never got round to trying these before lockdown 2 (Or is it "Son of Lockdown?")
The action, too is deemed lighter which I'd say is of benefit.
And the 745 has the larger music stand.
Sad isn't it? A bl**dy music! Why?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
There are extensive discussions of "What piano?" in the "Digital Pianos" sub-forum.

The CLP-745, if I remember correctly, is well above "beginner grade".

. . . Have fun!

Absolutely, if anything it's probably overkill on a startup. I think the main thing for both of us is: it's something to grow with and appreciate the finer things in life that are available IF we decide to go that route. I actually sat down the other day to feel the keys, and honestly I was impressed on how they felt. Of course, this is an opinion of someone who knows nothing at the moment. It's still fascinating how far things have come over the years. I really think for both of us, it's a test of conviction. Do we REALLY want to play the piano? It's easy to say, but time will tell. So again, I think starting this expensive is a lesson and a test for conviction. I've never been this excited to start sucking at something! Lol. But in all seriousness, it's a journey that is far from worth it. I look forward to growing with you all.

Last edited by ul7; 11/30/20 12:30 PM.
M
M
U17 , sounds like you have made a very good choice. I have a Yamaha CLP 645 ,which is very similar to yours. https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/clavinova/clp-645/index.html

Enjoy lessons etc..

Originally Posted by ul7
Absolutely, if anything it's probably overkill on a startup. I think the main thing for both of us is: it's something to grow with and appreciate the finer things in life that are available IF we decide to go that route. I actually sat down the other day to feel the keys, and honestly I was impressed on how they felt. Of course, this is an opinion of someone who knows nothing at the moment. It's still fascinating how far things have come over the years. I really think for both of us, it's a test of conviction. Do we REALLY want to play the piano? It's easy to say, but time will tell. So again, I think starting this expensive is a lesson and a test for conviction. I've never been this excited to start sucking at something! Lol. But in all seriousness, it's a journey that is far from worth it. I look forward to growing with you all.

Are you going to have just one piano for both?. If you are both hooked with it, there will be a fight for playing it! laugh

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Originally Posted by ul7

Are you going to have just one piano for both?. If you are both hooked with it, there will be a fight for playing it! laugh

Yeah I think she will be mainly using it over me, just because I am still going through school. It's really going to be her piano, but since it is an expensive investment I figured I might as well get something out of it as well. Might learn a thing or two about myself, or better yet, know my limitations and struggles in something unknown. It'll be a breath of fresh air to suck at something other than my studies from time to time laugh. I find a strange magnetic pull toward the impossible and daring, and this is one of many quests that might never be finished. That's OK with me, and to be honest music is something I truly hold close. So with this new member of the family coming sooner hopefully than later, it shall be played.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing by ear v Reading sheet music
by LarryShone - 04/17/21 04:20 PM
Why do used Baldwins seemed to sell for less than...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 04:00 PM
Cesar Mariano - Brazilian jazz piano
by jjo - 04/17/21 03:57 PM
Did many of the great piano compositions start out...
by pianoloverus - 04/17/21 03:40 PM
Pearl River GP160 for intermediate player
by PoleStar - 04/17/21 01:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,353
Posts3,083,535
Members101,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission