2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
86 members (Carey, BachToTheFuture, anotherscott, c++, bobrunyan, albydooby, BrokenSymmetry, Adem, 17 invisible), 706 guests, and 576 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How big piano I can in a room?
#3051185 11/30/20 10:45 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I am interested in Yamaha c3, but my living room is only about 13x15, is the piano way too big for it?How bad it will be?

Re: How big piano I can in a room?
Rednow2000 #3051187 11/30/20 10:53 AM
K
K
That depends on your tolerance for a loud instrument and on the room.

I have a relatively large upright in a 10x15ft room. It's okay but only because I added a lot of foam to the back of the piano. When I open the case for recording, it's too loud to enjoy for longer periods of time - and I don't play particularly loud music, maybef but rarely ff or fff.

I could imagine it works with some treatment of the room (i.e. lots of absorbers, etc.) and clever voicing of the piano. I'm not sure if I'd do it. It might be okay but I don't think you'd get many opportunities to leave the lid open if you value your ears.

Rednow2000 #3051203 11/30/20 11:30 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for your reply! It’s really helpful, I need to think about it again.

Rednow2000 #3051210 11/30/20 11:46 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Rednow2000, would you consider a Yamaha C2? That's what I have.

My C2 (5'8" or 173 cm) is in a 10 x 18 room and it sounds great, although I did reposition it after I first got it, and that made a huge different in the sound. One thing I think might be difficult for you is the "long" side of your room is only 15 feet, which isn't very long...

Are there doorways off of the room that might have an impact? What else is in the room?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Rednow2000 #3051216 11/30/20 11:55 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is the room carpeted? Does it have a high or peaked ceiling? How much other furniture will be in the space? Is it an open concept design, into another room, or is the living room relatively closed off from the adjoining rooms?

I tend to agree with Keybender's comments.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Rednow2000 #3051263 11/30/20 01:16 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If your living room opens into other rooms with opening wider than a door your effective space is much bigger. I have a 7' Mason & Hamlin in a 12'x18' living room but it's not too loud because the room opens up to a kitchen and dining area. You certainly don't have to open the lid when playing. I have the lid down with the fly lid folded back. I have very little furniture in the room but I do have wall to wall carpeting and many large paintings on the wall.

I think it's hard to predict if a piano will be too loud for a given room unless the room is very small or very large. A lot people think that larger pianos are actually easier to play more quietly on.

If you like the larger piano better but are afraid it could be too big, one possibility is to ask the dealer if they will let you try the larger piano but agree to let you switch to the smaller piano after a short trial period if it's too loud. Some dealers will do this especially if you agree to pay the additional moving costs.

Rednow2000 #3051581 12/01/20 09:33 AM
V
V
You should read the information from https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/ten-ways-to-voice-a-room/

From the advice in this article, the combined lengths of all walls in your room is 13+13+15+15=56ft, the length of suitable piano should be < 5.6ft. Length of Yamaha C3 ~ 6ft and I think it will possibly too loud. However, as sharing from other members as above, there are many factors impacting to the loudness:
- adjacent rooms?
- close to corner? the closer, the louder
- furniture in the room
- sound absorbing material
- height of room....
In my case, my living room is 10x20ft with adjacent space (kitchen) but I feel my 5’2” piano is too loud and I have to install foam under sound board, put thick mattress under piano, install some bass traps in the corner, and close the lid with thick cover. Finally loudness is a personal perception smile.

VinV #3051583 12/01/20 09:51 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by VinV
You should read the information from https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/ten-ways-to-voice-a-room/

From the advice in this article, the combined lengths of all walls in your room is 13+13+15+15=56ft, the length of suitable piano should be < 5.6ft. Length of Yamaha C3 ~ 6ft and I think it will possibly too loud. However, as sharing from other members as above, there are many factors impacting to the loudness:
- adjacent rooms?
- close to corner? the closer, the louder
- furniture in the room
- sound absorbing material
- height of room....
In my case, my living room is 10x20ft with adjacent space (kitchen) but I feel my 5’2” piano is too loud and I have to install foam under sound board, put thick mattress under piano, install some bass traps in the corner, and close the lid with thick cover. Finally loudness is a personal perception smile.
Using the formula without actually taking into account some of the other things you mention is a mistake IMO. Most living rooms(where piano generally are)open to other rooms so the effective space is much bigger than the dimensions of the living room. I have a 7' M&H in a 12'x18' living room with no problem but the LR opens to a kitchen/dining area and foyer. So I think the effective area is closer to 20'x18'.

Rednow2000 #3051588 12/01/20 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think it's hard to predict if a piano will be too loud for a given room...

I agree with pianoloverus, here. By-the-way, Happy Birthday, pianoloverus! smile

I say this because I've heard some smaller pianos, both grands and uprights, that were very loud for their size. Yes, a larger piano has more soundboard area, but I also agree with pianoloverus that higher quality larger pianos are usually more controllable when played, to an extent.

It is really a chance one takes when buying a grand piano for the home, any grand piano, and any size room. Loudness/volume, controllable or not, can be unpredictable. I think common sense might be a good recipe for a good decision, and the outcome is still somewhat unpredictable.

Also, I see no "common sense" in buying a nice, larger piano, and then rendering it "impotent" buy extensive voicing down. If it is too loud, try other methods to quell the loudness, like others have suggested, or perhaps a string cover, etc...

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #3051614 12/01/20 11:13 AM
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think it's hard to predict if a piano will be too loud for a given room...

I agree with pianoloverus, here. By-the-way, Happy Birthday, pianoloverus! smile

I say this because I've heard some smaller pianos, both grands and uprights, that were very loud for their size. Yes, a larger piano has more soundboard area, but I also agree with pianoloverus that higher quality larger pianos are usually more controllable when played, to an extent.

It is really a chance one takes when buying a grand piano for the home, any grand piano, and any size room. Loudness/volume, controllable or not, can be unpredictable. I think common sense might be a good recipe for a good decision, and the outcome is still somewhat unpredictable.

Also, I see no "common sense" in buying a nice, larger piano, and then rendering it "impotent" buy extensive voicing down. If it is too loud, try other methods to quell the loudness, like others have suggested, or perhaps a string cover, etc...

Good luck!

Rick

+1 thumb Happy Birthday Pianoloverus - we wish you many more.

It greatly minimizes the risk of buying too big a piano if you know how to play softly. With the longer keys available on larger grands, playing softly is in fact easier to accomplish. Just my 2 cents. smile

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
My piano’s voice is beautiful!
[Linked Image]
Rednow2000 #3051708 12/01/20 04:22 PM
K
K
Larger pianos are not necessarily louder, and conversely smaller pianos are not necessarily quieter either. My u1 is quite loud while my c5 is in the same room is only somewhat louder with its lid closed. As mentioned above, carpet, curtains, and upholstered furniture makes a difference. Voicing can affect the projection as well. Used c3 that was previously in a private home may have had a different voicing done from another c3 that was used at an institution for small performances.

Rednow2000 #3051761 12/01/20 06:47 PM
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Just to say Happy Birthday pianoloverus !
💐💐 💐 LB

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Moving the Steinway Across the Country
by Greg Midi - 01/17/21 10:35 AM
First DP in 30 years
by Moggul - 01/17/21 10:24 AM
I just discovered music of Violet Archer
by iamandrew3 - 01/17/21 10:19 AM
Pianist Magazine's Online Courses
by bSharp(C)yclist - 01/17/21 10:00 AM
Performance crash and burn
by spartan928 - 01/17/21 09:51 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,321
Posts3,047,759
Members100,094
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission