2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
105 members (AndrewJCW, Animisha, anotherscott, anotherpianoplayer, ambrozy, Abdol, akc42, Anglagard44, 8ude, 25 invisible), 677 guests, and 579 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
While I wait for my piano: Things I should probably do?
#3051611 12/01/20 11:06 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
I have zero experience in music (kind of). My wife is way better off than I am starting off, lol. She still remembers all of the comprehensive parts of music I have long forgotten about. I did play Alto Saxophone in Junior High (was even first chair the entire time!). I'm 34 now, but I don't even know how to read music anymore. I do have rhythm, and have been told many a time I have "good rhythm". Other than that, I am realizing I probably need to get some things down that don't require playing the instrument to make things a little easier and not so "all over the place".

Here is some things I am thinking about out loud:

• Should I at least learn how to understand sheet music again?
  • Learning the keys and note locations?
  • Piano, and general music terminology? I'm sure that's something I could do.
  • Music Theory? (Is that even a thing?)
  • Anything else I am missing?

Some random inspirations to aim for in time (not anytime soon, obviously):

• I love Chopin, and really wish to one day play his crazy madman etudes (will probably die before that happens! Bring it on! :D)

All insults and advice is welcome, lol jk. I'm a good sport, I can take it. Thanks. <3 wink

Last edited by ul7; 12/01/20 11:09 AM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: While I wait for my piano: Things I should probably do?
ul7 #3051613 12/01/20 11:11 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are you planning to take lessons or learn by yourself? If the first option, a good teacher will lead you on the right path. If the second option, I suggest using one of the method books for adult beginners or possibly an online course for beginners. I can't suggest specific ones but if you start a new post here or on the teacher's forum, I'm sure you'll get many suggestions. Good luck!

pianoloverus #3051616 12/01/20 11:22 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Yeah I got some books queued up on the old Amazon account. I have been thinking about a teacher, because I absolutely need fundamentals for anything I do. I'm like one of those nerds who can't sleep at night if I don't have fundamentals. My wife actually knows several teachers who she has suggested I check out. Thanks for the ideas! I did get a Udemy "Pianoforall" class. It was like $10 on a black Friday sale. It seemed to have good Google hits and reviews. Being a Network Cloud Technician, I should be less lazy than to trust Google now-a-days. I'm sure since I don't have much to build from anyway, it probably doesn't hurt to grab some popular "trends" in learning to try out. I'm sure I could find some good YouTube material to binge.

ul7 #3051622 12/01/20 11:44 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
U17
The internet can be a wonderful resource or a repository of junk
A few reputable piano tutorial sites

Piano tv
John mortensen

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
ul7 #3051624 12/01/20 11:46 AM
N
Online Content
N
You might be surprised how much knowledge is still there. I played elementary/middle school flute in 1965-1968. Reading the treble clef & basic notation all came back right away. It was shocking, considering how remembering new things so quickly fades away now that I'm nearing 66 years old. Also, I played guitar from 1966-1973; I can still mentally hear chords & remember fingering, so can figure what I need to play.

To gain note reading speed & to learn bass clef, I found a $5 app very useful: Complete Note Trainer from Google play. You can either use its virtual keyboard to pick out notes as they scroll along the screen, or because the app hears notes, you can use it with your keyboard (it also connects via USB midi). It's a good exercise for spare moments. It helped a lot.

ul7 #3051626 12/01/20 11:47 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Oh yeah, I forgot about John Mortensen! Thanks man! I'm bookmarking these right now.

ul7 #3051630 12/01/20 11:54 AM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I agree with No Expectations. If you don't have experience with the bass clef, that's one thing you can learn now. Also, refresh your knowledge of the treble clef, but again, I agree with No Expectations that if you played sax as a kid, it will come back to you very quickly and very well. That's what happened to me.

BTW, I also played sax as a kid and started to play it again last year before the pandemic. I play the piano too, of course. grin

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
ul7 #3051740 12/01/20 05:50 PM
Online Content
I think you listed out a few great places to focus on. You could incorporate rhythm while you learn how to sight-read through rhythm clap and that sort of stuff.

You can always find apps on your phone that will teach you the notes and getting faster and faster at recognising notes, intervals will translate to your playing as well.

Lastly, you could learn theory from books/youtube videos and maybe improve your understanding of the different genres smile Hope you will have fun and you'll get to rock them Chopin etudes in no time

I've been playing the piano since Jan '18.
More recently, I passed Grade 6 with distinction and plan to take Grade 7 in late 2021.

I am documenting my progress, recitals and experiences of learning how to play the piano as an adult on my YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/PeterHontaru
ul7 #3051800 12/01/20 09:12 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Vacuum the house.
Clean the bathroom.

Once the piano is delivered you'll want to be playing.

Learner
dogperson #3051809 12/01/20 10:16 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by dogperson
U17
The internet can be a wonderful resource or a repository of junk
A few reputable piano tutorial sites

Piano tv
John mortensen
I second the piano tv suggestion. That’s probably been my favorite.

Never heard of John Mortensen I’ll have to check that one out.

pianoloverus #3051928 12/02/20 08:49 AM
V
V
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Are you planning to take lessons or learn by yourself? If the first option, a good teacher will lead you on the right path. If the second option, I suggest using one of the method books for adult beginners or possibly an online course for beginners. I can't suggest specific ones but if you start a new post here or on the teacher's forum, I'm sure you'll get many suggestions. Good luck!
I suggest you to consider 1st option as prioritized option because we can progress quicker and easier with a GOOD teacher. Some piano players are very talented and can play very well just from lesson on Youtube but not my case. I am a late re-starter (I stopped practicing ~30 years), I practiced by myself during first 4 years and found out I created unpleasant sounds. I had decided to have a teacher and he recognized some of my technics are wrong and take so much time to fix them. However, studying music method ahead as advices from other members as above is also helpful to your practice anyway.

malkin #3051938 12/02/20 09:15 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by malkin
Vacuum the house.
Clean the bathroom.

Once the piano is delivered you'll want to be playing.

Ha ha ha....You have no idea how funny that is. I was just telling my wife last night about this exact thing, then I come online to read this. Lmao....... sometimes man, you just gotta clean and do those other reality tasks that aren't going away. Good stuff! Best advice ever!

Last edited by ul7; 12/02/20 09:20 AM.
ul7 #3051939 12/02/20 09:23 AM
A good jumping off point would be reading about correct posture, positioning and technique to be conscious of before even touching the keys. This prevents bad technique that can hamper your advancement and cause potential injury. Sounds incredibly boring but is important and, once learned, will become second nature for your movements.

Yamaha N1X
OldTinho #3051941 12/02/20 09:42 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Originally Posted by OldTinho
A good jumping off point would be reading about correct posture, positioning and technique to be conscious of before even touching the keys. This prevents bad technique that can hamper your advancement and cause potential injury. Sounds incredibly boring but is important and, once learned, will become second nature for your movements.

Definitely not boring for me. This is super important, because even when playing the saxophone years ago my teacher was a stickler on posture. It's pretty fundamental in making sure you don't hurt yourself with long periods of playing. Thanks for bringing that up.

Last edited by ul7; 12/02/20 09:42 AM.
ul7 #3051945 12/02/20 09:45 AM
A good read that I skim over from time-to-time but helped bring these things to awareness is "What Every Pianist Needs to Know About the Body" by Thomas Mark. It doesn't teach you a specific technique but helps you understand the anatomy and correct movements that should be employed.

Yamaha N1X
ul7 #3051950 12/02/20 09:55 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
While we are on the subject of anatomy, I'm not exactly the most dexterous person. I can tell you right now, that I will be a heavy handed individual. Along with posture and discipline, should I be exercising my hands or get some stretching tools to loosen up? I'm probably going to be a lunk at first. I probably need to think about this anyway, because I am a computer person by nature. This may even help me type faster!

Last edited by ul7; 12/02/20 09:58 AM.
ul7 #3051954 12/02/20 10:02 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ul7
While we are on the subject of anatomy, I'm not exactly the most dexterous person. I can tell you right now, that I will be a heavy handed individual. Along with posture and discipline, should I be exercising my hands or get some stretching tools to loosen up? I'm probably going to be a lunk at first. I probably need to think about this anyway, because I am a computer person by nature. This may even help me type faster!

Please do NOT use stretching tools- not only is it unnecessary but you risk injury
No special hand exercises are need

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #3051960 12/02/20 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by dogperson
Please do NOT use stretching tools- not only is it unnecessary but you risk injury
No special hand exercises are need

1000x this!!

I injured myself years ago using a 'Powerball' device whilst learning violin. It has caused me intermittent tendonitis and RSI in both forearms for which I'm only just beginning to properly rehabilitate from so I can actually enjoy my piano. The body doesn't need additional stretching or strengthening tools as playing the piano correctly doesn't require additional strain or force ouside the limits of the body's natural capability, just correct application of technique.

Normal stretching and warming up before sitting at the piano is always a good idea but only needs to be light enough to free any tension, not to strain any muscles or tendons.

Dexterity and correct use of force comes with practice, nothing more.

Yamaha N1X
ul7 #3051968 12/02/20 10:20 AM
U
ul7 Offline OP
OP Offline
U
Got it. Thanks for the words wisdom!

ul7 #3052032 12/02/20 12:37 PM
S
S
You can always get a jump on practicing rhythms with clapping and tapping, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Online lessons suggestion/recommend
ations/experiences?

by Javaslinger - 01/26/21 01:32 PM
What’s the best Fender Rhodes VST?
by RinTin - 01/26/21 01:09 PM
mp7es recording
by Colette2 - 01/26/21 01:00 PM
Log Sheets to Track Scale & Arpeggio Practice
by Talão - 01/26/21 12:21 PM
Fanny Hensel Sonata in G minor
by Ainar - 01/26/21 12:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,571
Posts3,051,806
Members100,221
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission