2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (beginagain, An Old Square, 36251, anotherscott, ChrisMH, 10 invisible), 588 guests, and 459 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Sem mentions reported speaker problems with the Kawai ES920. I can't find any reference in the forums here about that. Where did you read of speaker problems in the ES920?

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by btcomm
Sem mentions reported speaker problems with the Kawai ES920. I can't find any reference in the forums here about that. Where did you read of speaker problems in the ES920?
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...portable-digital-pianos.html#Post3039878

M
M
No buzzing on my P515 so far...

P-515
L
L

Is this what you’re experiencing?

I would find this very unacceptable.

Last edited by Liddough; 12/01/20 05:29 PM.
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I don’t have that defect in my p-515.

M
M
Ok I also don't seem to have that defect in my left speaker. I still have an issue with one key that vibrate when used. And I can confirm it is E4. G4 doesn't produce any defect in my left speaker like in that video above. However, I could feel there was a "change" in the way the speaker produced the sound when I hit that particular note G4. Its somewhat different than other notes.

Anyway, I still find it very strange that this particular key E4 on my unit is vibrating like that. And it is only with the speakers. If I use headphones, the key doesn't vibrate "buzz".

Yamaha P-515
D
D
Hello guys,

I have p-515 also. My problem is that I use headphones, but I still hear sound from my internal speakers, they don't turned off automatically.
I tried with 2 different headphones.

Any idea?

Is there at least an option to turn he speakers off from the menu?

Thanks

Yamaha p-115, VOX Continental 73, Yamaha p-515
D
D
Originally Posted by Damyan
Hello guys,

I have p-515 also. My problem is that I use headphones, but I still hear sound from my internal speakers, they don't turned off automatically.
I tried with 2 different headphones.

Any idea?

Is there at least an option to turn he speakers off from the menu?

Thanks

Sorry for the dum question, I found it in Utility settings

No issue with buzzing with my p515

Yamaha p-115, VOX Continental 73, Yamaha p-515
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Liddough

Is this what you’re experiencing?

I would find this very unacceptable.

Jeez louise this is EXACTLY what I have experienced in fact with the exact same note, G is problematic (and a couple of neighbouring notes as well notably F#, AB and to a lesser extent A). I wonder what causes this in the first place! sadly I don't understand the foreign language in the vid.
I too found it unacceptable which is why I returned it, it seems from what I've read several other uses are experiencing speaker problem although this is not common to every unit only several batches.
I am going to try the Kawai es-920 next week hopefully its a better instrument with more reliable speakers.

Last edited by Chummy; 12/02/20 03:07 PM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Chummy
Jeez louise this is EXACTLY what I have experienced in fact with the exact same note, G is problematic (and a couple of neighbouring notes as well notably F#, AB and to a lesser extent A). I wonder what causes this in the first place! sadly I don't understand the foreign language in the vid.
I too found it unacceptable which is why I returned it, it seems from what I've read several other uses are experiencing speaker problem although this is not common to every unit only several batches.
I am going to try the Kawai es-920 next week hopefully its a better instrument with more reliable speakers.

1- Speaker housing issue (the easiest to resolve)
2- Bad tweeters (needs replacement)

I have a pair of Behringer monitor speakers and I have this issue with any keyboard I've tried so far, I was told the problem is a loose housing issue, but the problem comes from the tweeter. It needs to be replaced but it really isn't worth it for these speakers.

Last edited by Abdol; 12/02/20 04:12 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
E
E
I bought a P515, that arrived nearly two weeks ago.

No issues at all with the instrument and we love it. Bought it mainly for my son who started taking piano lessons one and a half years ago and was practicing in an unweighted Yamaha ez220.

Given that this action is known as heavy I was very worry that it might be too heavy for him. The second day after we got the piano, He told me that he didn't like how the pianissimo was difficult to control so I changed de setting to hard1 and that is the setting we have been using since then. He did not have any issues with the keyboard action being too heavy. It took him two to three days to adapt to the new keyboard and play as before. We also love that the action and looks very dependable and reliable.

The piano sound beautiful when he plays and horrible when I play ( go figure! ;-) )

We also like the build quality in general and it looks great on the stand with the triple pedal unit.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Showpan2
I concur - it’s a great portable piano - with basically identical electronics and action to the previous generation Clavinovas. Love the CFX & Bosendorfer samples.

But here’s my list of pet peeves - after 1 year of ownership:

1) Key action is heavy, especially towards the fallboard.

2) Supplementary sounds are just budget filler with clearly audible sample loops.

3) No performance memories, just per voice memory, eg. so if you want to store different reverb, EQ, split, resonance, or layer setups for the CFX piano - you need to build each from scratch every time.

4) Reverb has fizzy digital sound if you turn it up too high.

5) Keys have slightly sharp underside corners which sometimes catch your thumb.

6) On board sequencer is slow and fiddly compared to previous iterations.

7) Black shiny plastic buttons are inferior to coloured rubberised buttons on previous iterations.

8) PWM flicker from blue LED button illumination is distracting when playing in a dim environment.

9) You have to hold-down the on/off button for 2 seconds before it works (it’s a feature apparently - a very annoying one).

Would still recommend to anyone looking for a great sounding slab piano.

I own this instrument (p515), and that fizzy sound baffles me , i wonder if the 7xx claviniovas and future iteration of p515, they will get rid of it. It also occurs if increase the brightness.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by ejlamas

No issues at all with the instrument and we love it. Bought it mainly for my son who started taking piano lessons one and a half years ago and was practicing in an unweighted Yamaha ez220.

Given that this action is known as heavy I was very worry that it might be too heavy for him. The second day after we got the piano, He told me that he didn't like how the pianissimo was difficult to control so I changed de setting to hard1 and that is the setting we have been using since then. He did not have any issues with the keyboard action being too heavy. It took him two to three days to adapt to the new keyboard and play as before. We also love that the action and looks very dependable and reliable.

The piano sound beautiful when he plays and horrible when I play ( go figure! ;-) )

We also like the build quality in general and it looks great on the stand with the triple pedal unit.

Yamaha in general has a fantastic QC procedure. Every time I hear about issues like this, my eyebrows raise up. Yamaha is manufacturing almost every instrument you can imagine and they have a crazy QC in place.

So issues like this can happen but I believe they are rare.

Last edited by Abdol; 12/03/20 10:42 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
M
M
My biggest pet peeve with the P-515 is the pedal damper resonance effect.
It had some crazy loudness to the sound. It throws me off everytime. Thank god I can lower the value from default 5 to 0. But it doesn't save after every power on.
That and my E4 key vibrating like a cell phone with the built-in speakers.

Yamaha P-515
Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Abdol

Yamaha in general has a fantastic QC procedure. Every time I hear about issues like this, my eyebrows raise up. Yamaha is manufacturing almost every instrument you can imagine and they have a crazy QC in place.

I used to think exactly the same as you!
It seems though this is rather not an uncommon issue. the 2 new units from my shop had that (the white model too, a bit to a lesser extent but still annoying) and this Russian guy over the internet (who knows how many faulty were in his batch as well?) which means that all over the world this happens - I've scrolled and seen other problems with P-515 speakers too here in this very forum. Some people don't even know they have it since they probably don't use the speakers anyway.

Coming from a Yamaha guy convert who was previously a Roland guy, Yamaha's rep in my eyes has been going down FAST. and not because of this experience (which is big enough!) but my previous Montage 8 had keybed issues within a year! several keys were beginning to act sluggish - basically sticking, being way too heavy to press , inconsistently, and while making this noise. I had the board (that one was super heavy 30 kilos I had to use my dad's car and his help as well to actually carrying it!) the tech greased some of the bed and replaced 1-2 bad keys. Felt like new, but after half a year I was feeling it is deteriorating again! so before it got worse I sold the damned thing to a guy mostly interested in synthesis for 60% of its price. This is UNACCEPTABLE keyboards such as these do not present a faulty keybed after 1 year (more like 20+) especially a flagship made in Japan there is no excuses this is not a 400$ Casio toy.

So maybe I am not going to be a Yamaha guy for much longer or am I now at all? Going to test drive a Kawai ES920 next Tuesday, maybe a Kawai guy in the making? honestly I don't remember the last time I played Kawai and my experience with their instruments is practically non-existent presently. I did get to play most of the other brands through friends' instruments etc. (Roland FP-30, Nord Stage 2 & 3 , Yamaha P125) so maybe I was doing it all wrong!

E
E
Originally Posted by Chummy
Originally Posted by Abdol

I used to think exactly the same as you!
It seems though this is rather not an uncommon issue. the 2 new units from my shop had that (the white model too, a bit to a lesser extent but still annoying) and this Russian guy over the internet (who knows how many faulty were in his batch as well?) which means that all over the world this happens - I've scrolled and seen other problems with P-515 speakers too here in this very forum. Some people don't even know they have it since they probably don't use the speakers anyway.

Coming from a Yamaha guy convert who was previously a Roland guy, Yamaha's rep in my eyes has been going down FAST. and not because of this experience (which is big enough!) but my previous Montage 8 had keybed issues within a year! several keys were beginning to act sluggish - basically sticking, being way too heavy to press , inconsistently, and while making this noise. I had the board (that one was super heavy 30 kilos I had to use my dad's car and his help as well to actually carrying it!) the tech greased some of the bed and replaced 1-2 bad keys. Felt like new, but after half a year I was feeling it is deteriorating again! so before it got worse I sold the damned thing to a guy mostly interested in synthesis for 60% of its price. This is UNACCEPTABLE keyboards such as these do not present a faulty keybed after 1 year (more like 20+) especially a flagship made in Japan there is no excuses this is not a 400$ Casio toy.

So maybe I am not going to be a Yamaha guy for much longer or am I now at all? Going to test drive a Kawai ES920 next Tuesday, maybe a Kawai guy in the making? honestly I don't remember the last time I played Kawai and my experience with their instruments is practically non-existent presently. I did get to play most of the other brands through friends' instruments etc. (Roland FP-30, Nord Stage 2 & 3 , Yamaha P125) so maybe I was doing it all wrong!

I don't know about your issue but I felt compelled to share feedback because information like that delayed my purchase for months. I read every post on es8, later es920 and P515 and while sound and tactile experience you can try it on a store (if you are lucky to have one close by with stock, which I didn't find in Ireland) for reliability you have to guess it from internet posts or other people experience.

Regarding the es920 I saw people who loves the product because they like the sound and say that is worth to go into the trouble every once in a while to service the keys, I saw my sons teacher having an issue with a key, and I saw that in general it is accepted that action in the es8 is not as reliable. So even people who loves es8/es920 admits it has issue and i saw one es920 fixed for catching keys on this forum and the video on youtube showing the issue getting unlisted. On the other hand most of the issues I saw with Yamahas are from owners servicing keyboards that were in general years old so reliability seems to be on yamaha side.

Regarding the p515 I liked when looking at youtube for videos from excellent players coming from a classical backgroung that are yamaha users like Josh Wright showing his cheapest clavinova in one of his videos (he also showed a Nord keyboard on that video).
The other issue that delayed my purchase of the P515 was the video from one of the stores doing one of those comparisons in which the guy was talking about arm disconfort after playing
the p515. Again, my 7yr old son did not have issues adapting to the nwx action and we are playing using the hard1 setting.

Just my 2c for other beginners, who like me have to make the decision on an investment that is no small. I received an unit that works properly with no speaker issues, no action issues and that sounds beautifully. Only time will tell about reliability.

Chummy Offline OP
OP Offline
@eljamas

Fact of the matter is every manufacturer is prone to problems and faults in the key action and such are expected to happen after many years of use (8-10 at least unless you play many hours daily). Reading posts like that should never deter you from purchasing as only people who experience problems write about them in the forums. Most others who have theirs on a 100% working order don't post which gives you a skewed view of the actual quality/reliability of the product. Being aware of that, after reading so much now when you go to the store you KNOW what to check for and of course make sure you get a good warranty before buying.

You got lucky on your unit being delivered and functioning properly but I'd never buy any instrument blindly unless it's like a sound module or an audio interface, etc. The NWX is not the best for children beginning to study piano because it's not as realistic to an acoustic which is what every student should strive to practice at. Of course after playing many years of acoustic piano I found the 515 action very easy to adjust to and overall a good experience.

Last edited by Chummy; 12/04/20 05:28 AM.
T
T
I also recently bought the P515 and have been delighted with the sound and the action. Coming from an acoustic Schimmel upright piano the feeling is similar and the key weight is just a tad lighter (I suppose Schimmel piano's have exceptionally heavy action since I read the Yamaha NWX action is considered to be rather heavy).

What I do notice is that the key action is quite loud - which on its own is expected behaviour for a digital piano I'm aware - and some keys make more of a 'clicking' noise than others. As an example my G3/A3 keys have a rather noticeable click to them. Can anyone with a P515 compare? Fortunately, my speakers sound absolutely fine (no distortion or anything that some P515 have complained about on this forum).

I've attached a video here (onedrive link) so you can hear what I mean.

Last edited by Toon; 12/04/20 08:43 AM.
I
I
My clp535 has a similar issue. I guess the nwx is derived from the gh3x, so it would make sense. I had a technician come and he said it was a common problem due to the rubber pads getting stiff, and that it will just come back.

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Toon
I also recently bought the P515 and have been delighted with the sound and the action. Coming from an acoustic Schimmel upright piano the feeling is similar and the key weight is just a tad lighter (I suppose Schimmel piano's have exceptionally heavy action since I read the Yamaha NWX action is considered to be rather heavy).

What I do notice is that the key action is quite loud - which on its own is expected behaviour for a digital piano I'm aware - and some keys make more of a 'clicking' noise than others. As an example my G3/A3 keys have a rather noticeable click to them. Can anyone with a P515 compare? Fortunately, my speakers sound absolutely fine (no distortion or anything that some P515 have complained about on this forum).

I've attached a video here (onedrive link) so you can hear what I mean.
It's what I think is disappointing for a DP in this class or price range. I would probably keep it, if I liked it overall, but ask for warranty service or pre-vetted exchange. Noisy keys to some extent are normal, but some keys different from others can disturb your, well my, playing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Birdcage Piano Tuner needed in Virginia
by zander35 - 12/08/21 04:45 PM
Another "Which Midi Controller Should I Buy"
by cody.carrig - 12/08/21 04:05 PM
Chopin's Polonaise 26/2 and staccato duration
by Mati - 12/08/21 04:04 PM
How good is a Chickering 105 B concert grand?
by tommyhaha - 12/08/21 02:34 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,462
Posts3,151,652
Members103,560
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission