2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Beowulf, Almar, Derek Mc, 1957, David Boyce, Boboulus, crazyRyoga, David B, 9 invisible), 524 guests, and 527 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: VST with Kawai CA79..how to get audio on speakers?
LGabrielPhoto #3051491 12/01/20 01:52 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A VST is a plugin software we can use in DAW (recording and mixing software). Such a software can create many different sound, but here we are interested in virtual pianos which produce a piano sound while we play. Then we can have other pianos (Steinway, Fazioli, Bechstein...), and each piano are typically more defined that the DP sound since the PC has enough disk to store any note from the attack to the end (a DP has typically the first seconds and produce later seconds by looping).

Most VST exist in a standalone version which can be launched independently of the DAW.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 12/01/20 01:56 AM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
LGabrielPhoto #3051495 12/01/20 03:10 AM
O
O
Even more basically. You buy an expensive digital piano, then you bypass it's internal sound and turn your expensive digital piano into a Midi controller, (usually your DP will have a USB midi port) You then download Piano software (a VST or 'Virtual instrument') to your Computer, and use that for your Piano sounds... Either output through your Piano speakers, or powered external speakers.
In short, use your Piano as a midi keyboard playing sounds that your computer is generating, and output those sounds to an external speaker.

OU812 #3051605 12/01/20 10:46 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OU812
Even more basically. You buy an expensive digital piano, then you bypass it's internal sound and turn your expensive digital piano into a Midi controller, (usually your DP will have a USB midi port)
Sorry but yours is just a very negative way of seeing this. Frederic expressed it perfectly. This is just an option to add more features to an already fantastic instrument. Is it needed? Of course not, but if I wanted to play with another sound that my piano does not have, or use a DAW, this just opens up other options for people that need it. So to say it turns "your expensive digital piano into a Midi controller" with that "tone" is just a very "glass half empty" view...

Last edited by LGabrielPhoto; 12/01/20 10:47 AM.

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
*Young Chang Y185 6'-1" (gone)
*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)
*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)
LGabrielPhoto #3051642 12/01/20 12:30 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by LGabrielPhoto
Even more basically. You buy an expensive digital piano, then you bypass it's internal sound and turn your expensive digital piano into a Midi controller, (usually your DP will have a USB midi port)
Sorry but yours is just a very negative way of seeing this. Frederic expressed it perfectly. This is just an option to add more features to an already fantastic instrument. Is it needed? Of course not, but if I wanted to play with another sound that my piano does not have, or use a DAW, this just opens up other options for people that need it. So to say it turns "your expensive digital piano into a Midi controller" with that "tone" is just a very "glass half empty" view...

I didn't think that was a negative explanation at all. I love VST's, perhaps remove the word 'expensive'. 😉

LGabrielPhoto #3051658 12/01/20 01:31 PM
R
R
This is all great information. Thank you!

OU812 #3051660 12/01/20 01:35 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

I didn't think that was a negative explanation at all. I love VST's, perhaps remove the word 'expensive'. 😉
The way you phrased does have a negative tone to it but nvm. wink

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
Kawai James #3051661 12/01/20 01:39 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Need to try my wife laptop with Focusrite...that should work better. I need a new laptop lol

I may be wrong, but if the Focusrite is outputting the sound, I believe changing the laptop will infkuence things a great deal.

To check if the noise that you're hearing is a 60hz Ground Loop hum, please try disconnecting the USB cable between the piano and the laptop to see if this removes the sound. If it does, it's probably best to use a USB-to-MIDI cable to connect the two, as mentioned in the thread I linked to previously.

Kind regards,
James
x
Yep the noise goes away without the USB cable even if connecting the audio cable to the headphone jack of the older laptop. I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but if that fails, I am going to try the USB to MIDI cable next.
Thanks!

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
LGabrielPhoto #3051964 12/02/20 10:14 AM
E
E
" I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but if that fails, I am going to try the USB to MIDI cable next. "

I am the OP on the similar thread about the casio GP400 and my VST efforts. I ordered the same item yesterday. (The USB to MIDI cable did not work for me... it decreased but did not eliminate the buzz. It also 'made' my laptop use driver settings which increased latency). I was thrilled to see that the mpow device eliminated 100% of the noise for me. What I am uncertain about is whether it also reduced the fidelity of the output. I think it did. IN other words, when listening through headphones, I can plug them in directly to the computer with no hum or noise. When I put the mpow in between the headphone jack and my headphones, the volume dropped, and I think the sound quality dropped as well, though I didn't spend enough time to figure out how much it dropped (Was is low tones?? I suspect it is). But the only time I would need the connector is when using the speakers of the piano. It DID in fact eliminate all noise. But I couldn't do a good test how it was affecting the tones (though I can try again later) because I would be comparing a noisy unbearably buzzy tone (with the ground hum) to a clean tone. My impression was that the low end wasn't quite there. I'd be interested in what you find.

Eli26 #3052012 12/02/20 12:00 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eli26
" I ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019393MV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but if that fails, I am going to try the USB to MIDI cable next. "

I am the OP on the similar thread about the casio GP400 and my VST efforts. I ordered the same item yesterday. (The USB to MIDI cable did not work for me... it decreased but did not eliminate the buzz. It also 'made' my laptop use driver settings which increased latency). I was thrilled to see that the mpow device eliminated 100% of the noise for me. What I am uncertain about is whether it also reduced the fidelity of the output. I think it did. IN other words, when listening through headphones, I can plug them in directly to the computer with no hum or noise. When I put the mpow in between the headphone jack and my headphones, the volume dropped, and I think the sound quality dropped as well, though I didn't spend enough time to figure out how much it dropped (Was is low tones?? I suspect it is). But the only time I would need the connector is when using the speakers of the piano. It DID in fact eliminate all noise. But I couldn't do a good test how it was affecting the tones (though I can try again later) because I would be comparing a noisy unbearably buzzy tone (with the ground hum) to a clean tone. My impression was that the low end wasn't quite there. I'd be interested in what you find.

Good to know about the USB to midi not helping. My cable arrived to the local Amazon warehouse at 2am so hopefully they will deliver it today instead of tomorrow. I will be reporting back.

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
Eli26 #3052136 12/02/20 05:00 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

That tiny cable is working great!
My old laptop which was crazy noisy sounds MUCH better to the point that I can actually use it. I need to check with my wife's laptop but that should be even better since it was cleaner already.
Now adding the Focusrite did NOT help and made it worse. I guess is because the focus right requires an AC adapter and maybe its introducing more ground issues again?
I may try a USB powered sound card for the laptop in the future but for now, it works to play with VSTs and see what they offer even though I really like the default piano sound of my CA79. smile

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
LGabrielPhoto #3052152 12/02/20 05:38 PM
E
E

My old laptop which was crazy noisy sounds MUCH better to the point that I can actually use it. I need to check with my wife's laptop but that should be even better since it was cleaner already.
Now adding the Focusrite did NOT help and made it worse. I guess is because the focus right requires an AC adapter and maybe its introducing more ground issues again?
I may try a USB powered sound card for the laptop in the future but for now, it works to play with VSTs and see what they offer even though I really like the default piano sound of my CA79. smile

Awesome news! I was wondering if you noticed a change in the tone when using that thing.

mwf #3054891 12/09/20 05:10 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by mwf
My ca99 actually distorts if garritan is played too loudly, think it may be the soundboard speakers distorting, not sure.
You kept the ca99?

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Eli26 #3054902 12/09/20 05:37 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Awesome news! I was wondering if you noticed a change in the tone when using that thing.
I need to play more with it but my brief test I didnt notice anything offending laugh

Last edited by LGabrielPhoto; 12/09/20 05:37 PM.

Kawai CA79 Rosewood
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,350
Posts3,048,280
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission